What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Mr X
Yes, that well known authority on motoring and general driving expert Anna Ford thinks that once you reach 70, you should re take your driving exam.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1094478/Anna-Ford...i
sm--wants-retest-drivers-70.html

A genuine concern on her part or a shameless attempt to keep a failing career in the public gaze ?

Link to rival publication made non-clickable

Edited by Pugugly on 14/12/2008 at 22:40

Re tests for the over 70's ? - Rattle
I am not sure, before I passed my test I was relying on lefts from customers all the time many ofer 70. When my grandad was 70 he could drive perctly ok, but by the mid 70's (before he died) his driving really went down hill but it he still traveled all over the country, even though his passanfers had to be blind folded. He learnt how to to use the internet in a week, he was very tehnical and very allert but his driving just fell apart.

My other grandpa who is still living and is nearly 90 only gave up after literly crashing every time he drove, he was in his late 70's when he gave up.

From my experience people seem to be able to drive perfecltly ok at 70 but by the time they reach 80 they have no skill anymore.

Part of my business is teaching the over 70's how to use online shopping so they can give up their Nissan Micras for good.
Re tests for the over 70's ? - R40
Oh dear :( Decision not to renew my IAM membership now confirmed.

Re tests for the over 70's ? - Rattle
Not by me I hope. most 70 year olds I have been in a car with have been fine, it when they approach 80 they seem to go down hill, it does depend well on the driver though. Personaly with my diet I will be lucky to live past 45 anyway.
Re tests for the over 70's ? - Westpig
70 is too young, personally i think we should allow more leeway....how about 80 or even 85

wife's grandfather has just had his licence re-newed and he is....96. It's brought about the family dilemma. His son has tried to persuade him to get rid of the car and revert to taxis...but unsuccessfully. The interesting thing is, the old boy was surprised it was re-newed, he was expecting it to be revoked. Trouble is we have no real system for doing so, it is left to the individual's GP, which is wholly unrealistic.

Freedom versus someone else's safety.

Re tests for the over 70's ? - vulcan7
All depends on the individual I think My dad gave up last year at 89 he was still a safe driver then but a bit slow.

Got to say I would expect that younger drivers are a bigger danger to themselves and others but again it's down to the individual.

I say let's clamp down on anyone with no licence or insurance first !
Re tests for the over 70's ? - Andrew-T
I am rapidly approaching 70 myself. All the elderly members of my family gave up driving before they had to, but a friend of the family who was in France in the war with SOE, drove himself there last year at the age of 99, without trouble as far as I know. He reckons he may not go again, but who knows?
Re tests for the over 70's ? - b308
It took a while for my Dad to give up... he was in his early 70s when he did, after a minor bump with a young girl who'd just passed... seems neither of them had decent judgement of gaps, Dad because of his age and her because of her inexperience... he went downhill very quickly after that, though, it was his life, driving, so when he couldn't do it....

I know a lady in her late 70s who only learned when she was in her 50s (in London!!) and she's a cracking driver... does seem everyone is different!
Re tests for the over 70's ? - M.M
Typical Mail take on things.... Ms Ford answers a questionaire for a magazine article that just asks for her opinions and they are then quoted as her "demands".

Had a close relative in his 80s that was reissued a licence after it being removed following a heart attack some 6mths earlier. We knew he was to ill to drive but the doctor happily signed him off. Sadly our fears were realised when he dropped dead just a couple of hours after a 100 mile drive. In truth he could have died at any time during a journey killing the car's occupants as well as those in other cars.

That left his widow at 82, and having not driven for 15yrs, saying she would restart driving. She had a current licence and Direct Line happily swapped the insurance onto her. But.... she was physically and mentally unable to negotiate modern traffic any better than putting a 10yr old at the wheel. Thankfully she agreed to a series of driving lessons and after the first the instructor told her and us she would never be able to take to the roads and we quickly arranged to get the car off the place.

Another close relative of 80 has serious problems driving due to an illness added to age issues. Their doctor happily signs them off each year (I think it's yearly) despite having no idea of just how dangerous their driving is.

I'm not saying anything in particular should be done but it is true the system is lax, for a doctor sitting in a warm surgery having a friendly chat to decide when to put someone back on the road is daft.

David
Re tests for the over 70's ? - stunorthants26
While im sure age can play a part, many drivers are rubbish at 40 - just stand in the car park at the supermarket and watch how unaware people are of whats going on around them.
You do see many 70+ drivers who drive aswell as younger ones and generally, especially as they get older, do less miles, they arent a real big problem.
I know two elderly women in their mid-80s and one goes out everyday, does loadsa miles and hasnt a scratch on her car. The other does but because she regularily goes off-roading in her country persuits!

I think aslong as they are healthy, theres no reason to suspect they are worse drivers than anyone else.
Re tests for the over 70's ? - b308
I agree, Stu, but they also tend to drive slower and many other drivers regard that as the worst sin you can do when driving so they want them removed... If it was at work that sort of attitude would be called bullying and those doing it disciplined, on the roads however its the slower (note, not "slow") driver that gets it in the neck and the bully gets away with it.
Re tests for the over 70's ? - stunorthants26
I am quite happy for older drivers to go slower aslong as its not silly slow.
It gives a huge amount of independance, especially for those not very able bodied and I would never be quite so selfish as to demand they leave the roads so I can get where Im going 30 seconds earlier.

Unfortunatly, decency on british roads is not fashionable which is why many want the elderly locked away in their homes. Nobody should have to rely on the kindness of strangers to get about and whoever the town planners are, they are actually responsible for elderly people needing to drive so much as nothing is nearby anymore.

Re tests for the over 70's ? - FocusDriver
Anna Ford irritates me. She always seems to know best, an attitude instilled over decades at the BBC.

The cases where an elderly driver causes serious concern seem to be very rare in my experience. Perhaps a tendency to driver slower in inappropriate places but I think Ford is wrong. 70 is not "old" these days. I agree with others who cite 80 as something of a watershed but I really hate to see the elderly treated as a problem when there are so many drivers of all ages who could do with retaking their driving test.
Re tests for the over 70's ? - Westpig
it isn't the slowness of an elderly driver that's the problem, (although i'd agree some would find it annoying)..it's the lack of awareness and the loss or lessening of some faculties e.g. hearing and sight, which when you combine with the potential for other things, such as not being able to properly turn a head or turn a steering wheel quickly, or similar, then there can be problems

if someone is fairly sprightly and doesn't suffer the above..then good luck to them... however if they do, then we need a system to address it....which we haven't really at the moment

the only one I know of is subject to a family joke about niot wanting to be in the car with him...that's all very well, but if a child was run over, the joke would have worn somewhat thin wouldn't it
Re tests for the over 70's ? - Harleyman
I don't think re-tests should be necessary for older drivers, but eye tests should be mandatory at 5-yearly intervals after the age of 50; similar to the requirement for vocational licences.

My experience is that older drivers are not deliberately careless, in fact they tend to be more careful; just less aware of their surroundings, and like Westpig I think that declining senses are partly to blame.

Simple remedy; licence renewed every 5 years, to be confirmed by an eye test. Penalty for fraudulently obtaining a certificate to be lifetime driving ban for the claimant and striking off the optician/doctor who registered it.

I predict a rapid reduction in RTA's, especially in urban traffic.
Re tests for the over 70's ? - carl_a
Anna Ford has it right, test the over 70's and for that mater test everyone every 5 - 10 years.

I'd actually quite like being tested, check any bad habbits I've picked up and it would be a reason to read up on the latest rules and regulations.

Re tests for the over 70's ? - henry k
I think eye tests should be mandatory every five years for ALL drivers.

Maybe after 65 a yearly test - as it is free.
When I first went to an optician to ask for reading glasses I was told that as a generality it was normal for white persons to need glasses from age about 40 onwards.
I happened to be 45 at the time and had become aware of some difficulty of reading / working on night flights coming back across the pond.

I consider it a must to get my eyes checked every year.
I believe that many older drivers do not get their eyes tested for fear of a big bill for a new set of specs.
Eye tests can detect other health problems.
How misguided can some people be ?
Re tests for the over 70's ? - Ian (Cape Town)
think eye tests should be mandatory every five years for ALL drivers.

Happens here (for those of us who bother to get licenses! :>) )

Every 5 years, when you apply for a new license card, you can either get your own optician/optometrist to give a certificate, or wait in the queue at the traffic dept, and do a test on their machine. They'll issue the license saying 'must wear contact lenses or glasses'.
The chap on the next testing station to mine, last time I went, ws told in no uncertain terms that his eyesight was NOT good enough to obtain a license, and to go and organise spectacles.

Re tests for the over 70's ? - Harleyman
I'd actually quite like being tested check any bad habbits I've picked up and it
would be a reason to read up on the latest rules and regulations.

Well, good for you! I've got far better reading material than the Highway Code in my bog!

Personally I wouldn't like to be forced back to a style of driving which is only suitable for passing a prescribed test, every five years.
Re tests for the over 70's ? - NARU
Personally I wouldn't like to be forced back to a style of driving which is
only suitable for passing a prescribed test every five years.

For a significant group on the road, mandatory 5-yearly top-up training (whether or not there is a test) can only be a good thing. We do it for many other activities which entail operating dangerous machines. I even have to do annual top-up training as an accountant, but I promise my accounting is far less likely to kill or injure than my driving!
Re tests for the over 70's ? - jase1
The retest does not need to be a full-on examination -- merely a monitored drive around the local town plus maybe parking.

I am in favour of a retest every X years. Too many idiot drivers on the road -- young or old. In fact, IME it's the 40-50 year old set that seem to do the most stupid things on the road, 40mph everywhere being the most common. 70+ drivers are nothing if not careful in the main.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - GJD
Why do so many people think you have to be over 70 before you would benefit from some sort of regular retraining or skills refreshment? It wouldn't need to be as rigid as a pass/fail test (although temporary loss of licence pending retest might be an appropriate last resort for the least competent).

What would be silly would be to take the standard L test, designed for people who have only just started to learn, and assume it is an appropriate measure for someone who is supposed to have gained some experience by now. Far more important would be to assess people's thought processes to make sure they have actually developed some.

Trouble is, we've let a culture develop where most people think that once they've passed their L test they've learnt everything they need to learn, and so they see the idea of any sort of assessment of their driving more as a threat and a personal insult, which it needn't be.

Re tests for the over 70s ? - Bilboman
In an ideal world a ten or five-yearly re-test for all drivers would level a very uneven playing field. Some examples:
* WW2-era licences, issued without a test, are still valid, meaning that there are thousands of untested drivers on the roads.
* A driver from any one of 23 EU states which drive on the right can live in the UK and drive on British roads without any kind of test and can keep their home country licence for three years.
* No requirement for a driver to keep a driving licence on their person whilst driving.
* Millions of pink and green licences still in use, with no identifying photograph.
* No proper eyesight test for car drivers.
Madness.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Andrew-T
>WW2-era licences, issued without a test, are still valid, meaning that there are thousands of untested drivers on the roads.

Thousands, perhaps, but not many driving IMHO. Testing for a licence was introduced in 1936, so the youngest untested drivers would be about 90. Most will have given up - we hope?
Re tests for the over 70s ? - barney100
Test test test test test! How many tests do they want folk to take in this country. Kids are tested to the eyeballs all their school life, then its tests at university, next its assessements at work etc etc. All people do for tests is what is necessary to pass and then go back to normal.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
As a near 70 year old I will submt to a free re-test, if it becomes law, but not until this law is preceeded by one introducing spelling and numeracy tests for school teachers and lie detector tests for all MPs, once a year and IQ tests for Local Councillors and the Elf and Safety Loons!
Re tests for the over 70s ? - b308
Test test test test test! How many tests do they want folk to take in
this country.

A comparison with kids tests at school is not really relevant, B, we are talking about something here which would be testing someone ability to safely drive a vehicle at speed which could seriously injure or kill another human being, not testing their knowledge of history or french which has a rather less harmful outcome if they fail...

Its noticable that in transport industries regular re-testing is normal... on railways for instance Guards, Drivers and other safety-critical staff are retested every two years... but car drivers get one test and can then drive for the rest of their lives without any further assesments of their abilities...

Logical?
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Harleyman
Its noticable that in transport industries regular re-testing is normal... on railways for instance Guards
Drivers and other safety-critical staff are retested every two years...

As are fork-lift drivers, crane operators and the like, but that's mainly for insurance purposes. It's more a safety refresher than anything.

Taking FLT's as an example, the same sort of thing applies as with a car driving test; you are taught to a standard required to pass a test, which includes putting the handbrake on when raising the forks, stopping, checking, and generally messing about in a manner which would bring most warehouses to a grinding halt within an hour; then you go on to the shop floor and learn how to do the job properly!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/12/2008 at 00:18

>On railways for instance Guards, Drivers and other safety-critical staff ...

I believe train drivers are not allowed to drive after 70, come what may ?
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Pugugly
Judging by the time that a train took to get me home last Friday - I reckon that the 50 year old
driver was way past 80 by the time I got home !
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
PU. Not widely advertised by the train operators, for obvious reasons: if you are delayed by more than an hour you can claim for compensation which is usually the cost of the ticket for the delayed journey but is paid in vouchers, not cash. It is also possible to insure against loss caused by delays, missed connections etc with M*nd**l insurance for £1 per journey. I travel by train a lot and am rarely delayed but £2 to insure a return journey is good value. Footnote - 6 hour delay on East Coast Mainline the other evening!
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Pugugly
Oh I didn't know that and its useful information - In reality I wasn't delayed that long, its just that I'd been away with work and the familiar rail journey home seemed to take an age.
I believe train drivers are not allowed to drive after 70 come what may ?

Not sure, I don't know any on the mainline system that are over 65... that tends to be the latest retirement date... we get 5 yearly medicals from 40 and yearly from 60 to 65... I'm sure there is an insurance element to them, but the main reason is that we take safety seriously.

Edited by b308 on 16/12/2008 at 08:08

>I don't know any on the mainline system that are over 65...

I'm sure (or at least I hope) there aren't any - they will be only too happy to retire before that. But I know it to be the case on preserved steam railways.
I read of a coach accident recently where the vehicle left the road and hit a building. The drivers was named as 70 year old Mr .....

Is there no upper age limit for drivers of PSV's ?

Edited by Mr X on 16/12/2008 at 11:24

Re tests for the over 70s ? - LondonBus
There's no upper limit for PSV licences, but after 65 the medical is annual.

In essence it should weed unsuitable drivers - the medical standards are higher for large vehicles (PSV/HGV) than they are for cars, quite rightly.
A comparison with kids tests at school is not really relevant
Logical?

Not really, you miss the point about the amount of needless tests this country wants to put its people through. The system can't handle the present number of driving tests never mind the added load of thousands of over seventies. I don' t like to see dnagerous driving anymore than anyone else but the majority of dangerous driving is done by people who are under 70 and have passed their tests.
>>
>> A comparison with kids tests at school is not really relevant

Not really you miss the point about the amount of needless tests this country wants
to put its people through.

I haven't... I agree with you about "needless" tests, but the point I was making is that tests to see if someone is fit to drive is very different to a SAT test, the consequences of someone who fails it has much more drastic consequences...

Though I haven't said that I agree or disagree with more regular testing of drivers, I agree that it would quickly develop into one almighty paper chase and cost a fortune... probably negating any benefits it might have... and as you say the majority of carp drivers are under 70 anyway!

Edited by b308 on 16/12/2008 at 14:09

Re tests for the over 70s ? - L'escargot
History of the British driving test ~ tinyurl.com/6ae7dd
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Altea Ego
Test for the over 70's?

Yes on your 70th birthday and every two years thereafter. It should be the full driving test including the theory and hazard perception tests, but should however be free of charge.

"My granddad drove till he was 130 with no accidents" does not wash with me. There are too many old folks on the road with relatives too scared to tell them they are dangerous.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - stunorthants26
There are too many teens just the same. Ban them all. Teens are stupid and reckless, the elderly are uncapable of avoiding the teens.
Agree, the minimum age for driving should be 19
Re tests for the over 70s ? - stunorthants26
Personally, id like to see the age raised to 21 - uni students seem to be total idiots when it comes to drink and drugs and id rather they cleaned up before driving on the roads.
It seems to be the minority of young drivers who are any good at it.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Alby Back
Young fella across the road is 17. Just passed his test last week. Nice enough guy but already he's roaring about in a Saxo as if he's on a forest stage.......It'll end in tears.
I have a 19 year old.

Luckily so far we only have written off old corsa with minor injuries.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Big Bad Dave
"Luckily so far we only have written off old corsa with minor injuries."

Cough cough cough LAGUNA cough cough
"Luckily so far we only have written off old corsa with minor injuries."
Cough cough cough LAGUNA cough cough

Takes a man to do a real job.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - focussed
I don?t subscribe to the ?test the over 70?s because you suddenly become unsafe the moment you turn 70? approach. Because far too many drivers of all ages are currently using the ?Myway Code? and making their own rules up, a much better way to solve the problem of unsafe drivers of ALL ages, would be to require ALL drivers to show that they have taken steps to update their knowledge of current road rules,laws and procedures at the time of renewing the photograph on their licence which I believe is every ten years.
This could be by having passed some sort of advanced test, or the existing theory and hazard perception test. You can forget making it mandatory to take the ordinary practical L-test because the testing system wouldn?t cope with the sheer numbers involved. At the same time I would make a proper eye test mandatory, not the current reading the number plate farce, and I would make driving with defective or uncorrected eyesight to have the same penalty as drink driving.
>Require ALL drivers to show that they have taken steps ..

I agree with the idea, but like any system which is put in place, testees learn the rules to pass the exam, then evolve, or revert to, their normal habits. Young ones do, anyway. Sadly, for many people the best lessons are learnt from their own mistakes, which hopefully don't impact too heavily on others.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - CGNorwich
Just like the well known fact of motoring life that all drivers who drive faster than you are are idiots and all who drive slower are morons isn't it also true that all those who are 10 years older than you should be re-tested on their driving ability. :-)
Re tests for the over 70s ? - NowWheels
.... all those who are 10 years older than you should be re-tested on
their driving ability. :-)

And all those ten years younger than you are too immature and inexperienced to be allowed on the roads ;-)
Re tests for the over 70s ? - GJD
Test for the over 70's?
It should be the full
driving test

It should not. That test is designed to allow people with almost no experience to prove they are safe and competent to go out on their own and start gaining experience and it necessarily expects a lot of behaviour by rote. It is an entirely inappropriate metric to assess a driver who is supposed to have gained some skills, experience and knowledge because it wasn't designed for that purpose.

We have made the mistake of thinking that when you just reach minimum standards of safety and competence to drive on your own, that is right time time to end training (it's not, it should be only the beginning). Because we've made that mistake, the only test or assessment we really have that most people know is the L test. And so when the idea of any sort of refresher training, assessment or re-testing is mooted, most people wrongly assume that the L test is the only form that it could possibly take.
including the theory and hazard perception tests

Yes
Whatever Anna Ford says about our driving we're still acceptable as blood donors now so that restores our pride somewhat. I've received my blood donor retirement certificate but I'm going to see if I can give it back, and continue donating. tinyurl.com/5nm8do
Re tests for the over 70s ? - oilrag
I think everyone aged 60+ should be *made* to ride a big bike to Italy and back at high speed - every Summer -to test their road skills.
Any chance of it being brought in and a Fireblade being provided - do you think...?

Edited by oilrag on 17/12/2008 at 08:36

Make it 50+ and I'm with you!
I think everyone aged 60+ should be *made* to ride a big bike ........

No thanks. If you make a mistake motorcycles fall over more readily than cars.
No thanks. If you make a mistake motorcycles fall over more readily than cars.

Your name vill also go ze list - vat is it
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Cliff Pope
I think a medical/eye test every 3 years would be sufficient, as long as the medical included a proper assessment of mental ability and reasonable physical coordination.

Why not have a badge system? At the other end of the range, we accept that learners may have lesser driving abilities than qualified, but mark them with a L plate. What about requiring say over 70s to display an S plate for Senior citizen?
Also possibly some limitation on use - eg no night driving, or no motorway, or limiting to say 25 miles from home?
What about requiring say over 70s to display an S plate for Senior citizen?
Also possibly some limitation on use - eg no night driving or no motorway or
limiting to say 25 miles from home?

Stop being so silly.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Alanovich
In my more lunatic moments I have thought that banning retirees from the roads between 7.30 and 9.30am, and from 4.30 to 6.30pm might help rush hour congestion a bit.
In my more lunatic moments I have thought that banning retirees from the roads between
7.30 and 9.30am ..........

How do you suggest we get, for one thing, to early essential surgery/hospital appointments?
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Alanovich
Like I said, lunatic moments....
>> In my more lunatic moments I have thought that banning retirees from the roads
between
>> 7.30 and 9.30am ..........
How do you suggest we get for one thing to early essential surgery/hospital appointments?

Easy, you withdraw medical services from the over 70's. problem solved.
Well in my area, they are not allowed to use their free travel passes during these hours in an attempt to reduce over crowding on public transport during the peak hours so not as daft an idea as it might sound to some.
The over 70's are a dreadful and wasteful drain on the countries resources. They expect pensions, concessions, medical treatment, care etc. They block our post office queues on Thursdays, jam up the isles at Aldi on Thursday and Sunday morning grumbling and moaning about the cost of things and how life was easier with "old" money, and on bright Sunday afternoons are seen blocking up the countries roads as they amble along at snails pace.

I wonder if, in these harsh economic times, we can afford the luxury of having over 70's.
.... they amble along at snails pace.

I'll have you know my forum signature used to be "L'escargot by name but not by nature" until I decided it was too flamboyant!
Re tests for the over 70s ? - piggy

they amble along at snails pace>>.

One of my brothers(an ex policeman) has just been done for doing 97 on the A55. He was 71 last birthday. There`s hope for me yet.
Would it be ' silly " to suggest a completely separate driving test for Motorway use ( all classes of vehicle ) and the use of an M plate. No M plate = no Motorway driving ?
Would it be ' silly " to suggest a completely separate driving test for Motorway
use ( all classes of vehicle ) and the use of an M plate.

It wouldn't be silly if it applied to all ages of driver.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Falkirk Bairn
70 is an arbitrary line to draw.

I would prefer all drivers who drive with flat caps / soft hats to be subjected to a re-test - from observation they cause me more grief that just those over 70!

I am 62 and do not wear either.
My Dad always used to wear a flat cap (he was bald!) and was a commercial traveller covering 50k miles a year pre motorway era... and he was a cracking driver... sweeping generalisation I think! ;)

Doesn't Sir Stirling Moss wear one as well??
I would prefer all drivers who drive with flat caps / soft hats to be
subjected to a re-test ....

Does "soft hats" include baseball caps, chauffeurs' hats, uniform hats, hats to cover unsightly hair following chemotherapy etc etc?

Edited by L'escargot on 17/12/2008 at 10:39

Now banning baseball caps I could understand....
Re tests for the over 70s ? - busdriver
I am 72 and drive a PSV minibus 10,000 miles per year on school runs. and about 8,000 by car. As a professional driver and IAM member it is up to me to drive in a safe and careful manner taking into account road and traffic conditions. In rural areas observation and care is needed whilst negotiating narrow lanes. On motorways I will keep up with the flow middle lane hoggers are just as much a menace to me a anybody. The day I consider that I cannot maintain the standards I expect I will give up. The loads I carry are the the most precious things in the world. I owe it to them to do the job properly.

Re tests for the over 70s ? - Cliff Pope
SNIPQUOTE!
Stop being so silly.

Would you care to explain why this is silly?
As I pointed out, we designate people at the other end of the learning/experience scale with L plates, so clearly motorists are in general prepared to tolerate people with lesser abilities on the roads. If you know someone is a learner, you make allowances. Are we now so intolerant and age-biased that we cannot extend the same allowances to older people? Perhaps they should be banned as pedestrians too, and the "Old people crossing" signs removed?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/12/2008 at 13:49

Re tests for the over 70s ? - commerdriver
We designate people at the start of the LEARNING scale with L plates nothing to do with experience.
As you may discover one day chronological age has very little to do with ability to drive. My mother, who gave up driving two years ago is the same age as Stirling Moss, haven't heard anyone say he shouldn't still be driving.

As for people making allowances for L plates try accompanying a learner sometime, the amount of aggression I saw earlier this year when my daughter was learning was disgusting.
Cliff, the thing which I thought was silly was the " ........ no night driving or no motorway or limiting to say 25 miles from home?"

Now you tell me why you think it's not silly.
>Your name vill also go ze list - vat is it ?

Don't tell him, Escargot ...
Re tests for the over 70s ? - steve167
A genuine concern thats what i think.
I thought ageism was illegal and there are guys condemning over 7o's to the scrapyard. If there were enough traffic police around to sort out bad driving then these people old young or middle aged could be sorted out. Denying older people independent transport would seriously impinge on their lives. Younger folks who want to penalise over 70s will change their minds when they reach that age.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - daveyjp
My mum in law's neighbour could do with a re test - she is about 80. Just heard about MIL deciding to get a lift from her to a carol concert at their Church last night.

It's about three miles away and half way through driver wants the heater on - she drives a W reg Micra. She had no idea how to do it. It was dark and foggy. In looking for the heater control she had wipers on full, rear wiper on, hazards on, then she turned the lights off but didn't notice, she also mounted the kerb twice.

In the past three months she has hit her garage door twice, hit a car in the local hospital car park and almost put the car through the block of flats she lives in.

In her car she uses 1st and 4th only. Revving in 1st to max revs then block changing to 4th and remaining in 4th until the car is almost stalling. She uses a dual carriageway to go to the supermarket and never considers mirrosrs when on the slip road and goes at no more than 40 - she almost met her fate with a 40 tonner a few months ago as a result.

Needless to say when I visit I park well away from anywhere she may be manouvering.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - henry k
Confronted by a road closure at the end of my road with, fire engines and lots of Bib I later enquired, what was the reason.
A 92 year old lady when exiting the tiny cul de sac where two retirement homes are, failed to complete a right turn into the next road.
It appears the gas pedal not the brake was used. The car tangled with a tree and the lads chopped the car roof off to extricate her and then transported her to hospital.

There is a good end to the story. She return home that afternoon apparently in fine form and has given up driving.

A good friend eventually conspired with a GP to get his mother to stop driving.
She used to go to the supermarket by car, walk home, discover her car was not at home so naturally reported to the Bib that it had been stolen.
The local Bib became familiar with this senario and soon sorted things out.
I have no idea about her standard of driving.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - David Horn
Can't really see the point in compulsory retests. However, making the renewal contingent on a thumbs up from an optometrist would probably go a long way towards cutting accident rates.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Kiwi Gary
Cliff / L-escargot - regarding restrictions, we used to have them before recent removal as an election bribe. There wasn't any requirement to have the "S" sign, but older drivers were tested [ 2-yearly from 80 onwards ] and could be given limited licences such as daytime only, no motorways, if, in the opinion of the examiner, they should not have a full licence. Very much like the learner system below. Eyesight test by looking into some sort of machine is required for everyone at each 10-year licence renewal [ no rego plate reading here].

Mother voluntarily gave up her licence at 84 because she was no longer enjoying driving, although still capable. One Volkswagen Beetle 1302, 30 years old, 1 lady owner, and utterly reliable, went to a good home.

At the other end of the scale, our graduated licencing system requires the theory side to be passed before even getting a learner licence. Having then "learnt" and passed the practical test, the prospective driver is allowed out unaccompanied alone [ but not with passengers unless supervised ] and not on motorways [ unless supervised ] until the final practical test some months later.
Re tests for the over 70s ? - Bilboman
Ah yes, the NZ driving licence - three progressive stages with different colours, and you can get your first one aged 15, too, IIRC. Makes a lot of sense. One of the licence "upgrades" can be fast tracked if you do a defensive driving course. If only Britain had the time, resources and initiative to bring in a scheme like the NZ one. Incidentally, do NZ licences have photos now? I knew a NZ driver a few years ago and the only physical description on her licence was "eye colour brown" !