2000 1.8 Starting Problem - focustim
Just bought this car and yesterday I had a problem starting it. The engine cranked over but would not fire (or tried to a tiny bit). We checked the battery voltage and it turned out to be real low (12.2v) so I bought a new battery (I bought a lead acid one but have since discovered that I can only use an expensive silver calcium one from ford). It was real cold out last night which may have had something to do with it.

Stuck the new one in this morning but did the same thing. Battery voltage was better at 12.53 but it wasn't really firing. I then tried to start with my foot fully pressed on the accelerator and after a few seconds of intermittent firing it started ok and then ran fine. It has now restarted ok since. Voltage when running was 14.7 with lights/heater/heated screen on (so as far as I can tell the battery is being charged fine).

After I google searched I found the following suggestions:

Spark plugs dirty
Fuel injection problem causing engine flooding?
Fuel pump
Cranking sensor
Coolant temp sensor

I have a feeling it is something to do with fuel, but not sure. It seems to run fine when its running other than occasional slight (up to 2000rpm) revving coming up to junctions when the clutch is depressed (perhaps completely unrelated?).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by focustim on 12/12/2008 at 23:11

2000 1.8 Starting Problem - MikeTorque
This seems to be a common problem with the Focus I at the moment. There could be a number of possible things causing it but the most likely one points to a fuel issue, although spark plugs & battery need to be ok'd first, but as you've changed to a new calcium battery that is a good start.

What fuel are you using ? Have you got a mixture of fuel brands in the fuel tank ?
A quality fuel such as BP Ultimate is recommended by Ford for the Focus.

It's worth checking if there is fuel flowing from the injectors and there is a spark during the start up process, not an easy job for DIY but a garage can do it for you, although they may opt for a sensor change if they suspect that could be the cause.

The clutch being depressed and the revs raising could be to do with the timing of your foot coming off the throttle and the clutch being depressed at the same time, if not then it's possibly linked to the above problem.
It's worth reading the comments by Screwloose concerning the ECU via the link below :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=59559
Thanks for the reply. I have yet to get a silver calcium, I have the lead one in there at the moment but have only just read that I need the calcium one. Anyway I'm hoping actually the old one will be OK after a charge, we'll see.

Last two times I filled up was in Sainsburys and I think they use BP Ultimate? The car is under the standard 3 month warranty but I live on the Isle of Wight and I bought it from Southampton so there is an expensive ferry fare to take the car back. I want to try as many things myself before I commit to taking it back.

As for the revving thing, its definitely not my timing as the revs hold for a couple of seconds. It has been suggested to me that its a sticky throttle.
Usually Sainsburys uses their own branded fuel unless they state it's BP.

Just wondering if there is a garage in the Isle Of Wight that could carry out the warranty investigation on behalf of the company you purchased it from in Southampton ?

See how it goes once you've changed to the calcium battery.
I think (although I'm not sure) that it did say it was BP ultimate. It runs fine once its going, just problems on start up. Prior to it failing to start last night, it often started without instant pick up if you know what I mean.

I will be changing back to the calcium battery, but I don't think that will cure the problem. I don't think the garage will pay to have the work carried out over here because apparently they get a cheap labour rate where they have the work done.

Thanks for the help so far, any other suggestions? Having to push my foot right down on the accelerator suggests maybe the engine was flooded with fuel?
2000 1.8 Starting Problem - MakemBill
Might be an idea to get a diagnostic check from a local garage. Ford were going to charge me £80 for my 1.4 Focus. A local garage proprietor checked mine for free with his own computer. Diagnosed faulty ECT sensor which was causing the starting problems and alowing engine water to seap through affecting the sparking. Fixed for a few quid.
Not that I'm saying that this is potentially your problem. Just ask around local garages who come recommended and see if they can help out with the diagnostic.
Also as previously mentioned, it is restraint of trade to offer a warranty and insist the work be carried out by the issuing garage. They should make arrangements for local service. If in doubt check out local trading standards.
Works treat now...apart from the clutch needing replacing this coming week.
I carried out the self diagnostic test today (holding in the trip meter button, starting the car etc.) but it told me there weren't any error codes (DTC). This is obviously slightly puzzling as I was convinced it would flag up something. Anyway, now I am worried that if I take it to the garage they will just plug the computer in and it won't flag anything up so they'll just tell me nothing is wrong with it. It has been suggested to me that it could be something to do with the electronic choke.

Interesting what you say about the warranty. Is it actually illegal for them to insist I take it back to them rather than having a local garage sort it out? Are they under a legal obligation to pay all bills covered under the warranty regardless of where the work is carried out?

Edited by focustim on 14/12/2008 at 12:23

It depends on the wording in the warranty. It's worth giving them your selling agent a ring and discussing the matter with them to clarify your options. Also a local garage may be able to assist in assessing your options in the light of the warranty details.
ok thanks for the advise.

Back to the car problem, I think the problem gets worse the longer I leave the car standing between starts. It has been suggested to me that this problem could be related to one or more leaky injectors slowly dripping fuel into the cylinders when the car is left standing resulting in a flooded engine when I come to start it.

Could anyone verify this?