1998 2.5 Overheating - trevorw
V6 GHIA X - 122,000 miles trouble free - approx 400 miles per week. Suddenly started to overheat - gauge goes off the scale!

No heat through aircon/heater unit - just cold air

No visible loss of coolant

Possible water from exhaust (no steam as far as I can see) but only running engine on idle to save overheating - as soon as I drive away gauge goes off scale

Anyone with similar problems - could it be
Head gasket ?
Water Pump ?
Thermostat ?

If it is worse case ie head gasket - anyone know anything about K-Seal?

Help!
1998 2.5 Overheating - crunch_time
My first look would be at the thermostat - stuck closed?

Is the header tank getting warm?

Dont think so but will start up thie evening and check

Any other thoughts?
1998 2.5 Overheating - TheOilBurner
Water pumps were always a weakness on those, plus I wouldn't rule out headgasket problems either.
1998 2.5 Overheating - elekie&a/c doctor
Check the water pump impellor,probably find it detached.Also check the drive belt for the pump which is located on the front cam box,pass side next to battery.(under black plastic cover).hth
1998 2.5 Overheating - crunch_time
Might well be worth just taking the stat out to see what happens (fingers crossed - it's the cheapest item!)

Thanks for all the responses. When I had time to look at the problem it proved to be nothing more than the fact that the tensioner bracket/pulley on the water pump drive belt had seized and shredded the belt. Quck visit to my nearest Ford spares outlet for a pulley and belt - it took me about 20 mins to fix.

More worrying is that when the problem happened I called out my breakdown/rescue service Green Flag who arrived approx 1 hour later than they promised, started the car, watched it overheat and decide it was probably the head gasket. Nothing they could do so they would tow me to a suitable repairer. There are just 3 bolts that hold the water pump drive belt cover in place but they didn't even look!

Anyone else had similar problms with Green Flag?

I have now switched to RAC!