What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1996 1242 Over-revving in neutral - streever
Hello,

I have a 1996 (N reg) Ford Fiesta (Ghia) with 1242 engine.

It is over-revving when in moving in neutral. So even if I go down the hill in neutral, the rpm will begin to rise. Also, when changing the gears the revs will be very high.
Some time ago I thought it is all about the AFM, which I replaced and it solved some other problem -- the car was loosing power when on high rpm as well as over-revving when in neutral and NOT moving. It used to be 1000 rpm, now it stays on 800 and is not hunting as it used to do. It still looses some power when on high rpm in fifth gear, yet it happens very, very rarely and more subtly.

The idle valve was cleaned as well.

But as for over-revving -- I know this is a common problem, because I took a look at some other entries in this forum. However.. Since I am not a mechanic, what should be the first thing to start looking for?

1996 1242 Over-revving in neutral - Rattle
It might be something with the speed sensor, it seems to have cured this problem for a few people before. It might also be worth cleaning out the MAF this helped when my dads 1.3 was over reving. Have you also checked the throttle position sensor? When my old car was over reving in neutral one of the causes was a kinked wire going into that sensor.
Sorry, I meant MAF (not AFM) sensor -- which is brand new.

The car is not over-revving when stationary. It is ONLY over-revving when not in gear, but moving or between the gear change.
I also forgot to mention that if I depress the clutch pedal, the rpm rises for about 500. So the clutch works sort of like throttle.
1996 1242 Over-revving in neutral - Rattle
Read the car by car breakdown on this website, select the Fiesta 1996 -1999 HJ mentions a few cures for this problem as it is extremely common. Something do with a speed sensor and or a faulty clutch switch I seem to remember which then confuses the hell out of the ECU.