What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - lilley
This estate has the diesel TDCi engine. It has been owned from new, done 26,000 miles and has the engine oil changed every six months. Regretably it does a large number of short journeys. The car runs brilliantly. The oil was last changed at the end of June. The oil is dipped weekly and until a fortnight ago was at the corrrect level every time. A fortnight ago it was 'high', above the bulb and showing on the wire. I assumed that it was an anomaly, but it was the same last Friday and again today. I assume that it is diesel that is getting in but I can see no sign of contamination.

I will be changing the oil within the next month, I will have a close look at what comes out.

What is going on please? How can it be prevented?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/11/2008 at 10:24

02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - Screwloose

Might be a leak in the high-pressure pump. I'd have thought that excessive injection would have been noticed in harshness and rattling.
02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - topbloke
don't know if this is a simmilar fault as the zafira b engines where the ecu injects extra fuel to try and inniate a dpf regeneration "its a diesel cat " when the dpf gets to a point where its almost blocks then the ecu inniates a regen buy injecting extra fuel the engine needs to be run at a certain speed for a set distance if not then the extra fuel gets past the pistons and into the sump have you noticed any lights flashing on the dash recently , may be worth contacting the dealers and asking, excess fuel in the oil is not a very good idea and i would change sooner rather than later, excessive fuel/oil can get sucked up into the turbo and run the engine in a rather spectacular fashion "very scary"
02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - rtj70
A 2002 1.8TDCi will not have a DPF.
02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - topbloke
okay forget above post i guess the next thing would be to get the injectors leak back checked then have them tested for a drible/leak past the needle

Edited by topbloke on 28/11/2008 at 07:02

02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - eastenddoy
the injectors may have a leak do it start frist time as i had a problem on vx montaray 3.3 deisel in and out of vx no fault found till enging through a piston and was told you filled the enging to high with oil!
Carried out the major service yesterday. Close to 10 pints of oil were drained from the engine (5.6 liter stated capacity) so no surprise there. The 'oil' looked like oil. Would it be apparent if diesel is mixed in?

I refilled it with 9 pints of oil, (leaving one in hand) and the dipstick immediately showed high. I have always dipped the same way, dipstick in as far as it will go. The engine runs smoothly and idles at about 825 rpm as it always has.

Any ideas? At this point I have given up worrying, is that advisable?

halilley
02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - rtj70
Well 10 UK pints is 5.68 litres.
02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - L'escargot
To get a consistent reading check the level after the car has stood overnight. Withdraw the dipstick and read the level straight away. If you withdraw the dipstick, wipe it, re-insert it and then withdraw it again you will probably get an apparently higher reading caused by oil drawn up the dipstick tube during the first withdrawal.
02 1.8TDCi - Self-filling Sump - 659FBE
Have you dented the sump?

I checked the sump when I did the oil change - like new, partly because beneath it s fitted a substantial mill board and felt undertray (which I have to remove and refit for each oil change). The nine pints I used is registering just about at the maximum. Whereas I always used to put 10 pints is each time. I do final dipping after standing over night. I continue to monitor.

halilley