00 1.8 Antifreeze/coolant query - lucklesspedestrian
I noticed the other week that the antifreeze/coolant on the Primera was very low in the header/expansion tank.

It's an indeterminant greeny/brown colour from what I can see through the plastic so I really don't know what's already in the system.

I have heard horror stories of mixing the 2 basic types of antifreeze and I would rather avoid draining/refilling the whole system.

I had heard of a 'universal' coolant called Bluecol U which is supposed to be okay for topping up anything, but I can't find any stockists with it in my area or even close.

Anybody any suggestions over what I might be able to use to safely top up?

Cheers
Steve
00 1.8 Antifreeze/coolant query - oilrag
"indeterminant greeny/brown colour"

Steve, If its original antifreeze I would be worried about the corrosion inhibitors being used up. Why not just get some OE antifreeze from Nissan? Then do a full change. If its not pre mixed - do it 50% with distilled water + a new bottom hose clip.

I suspect that some radiator and heater radiators fail to to corrosive coolant.

Is it low and brown do to leaving it? If not you could get a sniff test done...

Regards

Edited by oilrag {p} on 26/11/2008 at 12:26

00 1.8 Antifreeze/coolant query - oilrag
To add, The safe option would seem to be ethylene glycol from say, Halfords if you are determined just to top up and are unsure if its had `normal` glycol coolant at some time.

My understanding is that if a system has OAT antifreeze in - then a later change is done to ethylene glycol - that the latter can never be fully removed from the system due to its method of inhibiting being leaving a deposit on the alloy.

So it has to stay on Ethylene glycol for the rest of its life.

Edited by oilrag {p} on 26/11/2008 at 12:37