What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - oilrag
Handy when you get twin plumes of windcreen wash from the car 25 metres or so in front isn`t it? A free screen wash, just flip the wipers on.
You almost wish you had set things up like that yourself for the 2 metres from the bumper tail-gators.
Of course, a single jet angled from the back washer - like a dog cocking it`s leg - would be just too obvious, I guess..
Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - Ian (Cape Town)
Of course a single jet angled from the back washer - like a dog cocking
it`s leg - would be just too obvious I guess..

get an old banger, fill the bottle with brake fluid, and have fun...
Any further car stories from Africa, Ian? I always enjoy reading them.
Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - Ian (Cape Town)
Not many that could be published on this site, oilrag.

This week's selection, though...
Woman caught with 35 kids crammed into a Toyota venture van.
Irate policeman shoots tyre of car which won't get out of his way quick enough.
Local cops can earn up to R30 000 a week (about £2000) by extorting money from drivers, and tipping off tow-truck drivers as to the scene of accidents.
President in waiting Jacob Zuma's 33-car motorcade does 183km/h through village with 60km/h limit.

You can't make it up.

Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - stunorthants26
Mine tends to spray the car behind aswell as my own - ive found it makes people back off if you keep repeating.
Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - Clk Sec
>>ive found it makes people back off

Risk of fat lip at next traffic lights, though.

Clk Sec :-)
Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - Robin Reliant
The best washer jets were those that could be turned sideways. I can remember cruising down Ilford High Road after the Palais had shut for the night, "Introducing ourselves" to any groups of young lovlies we came across.
Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - Avant
For some reason it always seems to be Fords that wash the windscreen of the car behind as well as (instead of?) their own.
Anyone remember actually fitting screenwash pumps?
First the thing that you pushed with your thumb and then an electric pump - complete with one pint washer bottle.

The electric pump seemed a luxury at the time.... Actually, now I think about it, it still does.
;)

Edited by oilrag on 22/11/2008 at 19:19

Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - bathtub tom
My first 'real' car was an A35 with electric washers. The washer bottle looked like a large ,square, glass sweet jar, with a plastic container inside. The idea was, you pressed an electric push-button on the dashboard, and the washers delivered a measured amount of liquid to the screen (the contents of the plastic container inside the 'sweet jar'). The plastic container then re-filled itself.

I didn't notice when I bought the car, that the plastic container had a large hole in it. The first time I used the washers, they continued until the entire contents of the 'sweet jar' emptied themselves.
Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - welshlad
i had a washer bottle fophar a couple of weeks ago i pick up a bottle of concentrated washer fluid instead the ready to use stuff filled up my washer bottle and ended up with a car covered in sticky residue im still adding water now trying to dilute it down
Thanks for the screen wash - car in front - MagDrop
I might be entirely wrong but I think the A35 had vacuum washers. I had various 50s cars with the glass jar and internal vacuum pump. The dashboard button oilrag referred to operated a valve connected in a line from the inlet manifold and to a vacuum pump in the glass jar. When pressed this caused water to be sucked from the glass jar into the internals of the pump. On removal of the vacuum the water in the pump was forced somewhat feebly to both jets.

This would probably be a better bet: tiny.kejabe.com/57