What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.8 tdci Injectors? Fuel Pump? Cheap Diesel? - confusedm
I have a 03 Focus 1.8 TDCI (115 bhp)
It currently has 130,000 on the clock.

Around 12 months ago, I had a problem with starting & then loss of power & was told by the garage that it was probably the injectors. So they changed the injectors & the fuel filter (as well as flushing the system)

It was running ok although was having a small timing issue on the motorway at around 2000 revs (which later cleared up)

I have since had problems & had a new clutch & fly wheel.

I have also been replacing the fuel filter regulary (the last being 2 weeks ago)

This is due to running it on some 'cheap' diesel due to financial issues.

Today it was having problems starting & tonight I had to start it with 'Easy Start'
On the way home from work, the power dis-appeared & then a mass of black smoke was billowed from the exhaust. The glow plug light was also flashing.

I'm worried that the injectors may have gone again.

But does anyone know about the fuel pump on this model? & whether there has been any recalls by ford?

Or is the lesson that these cars can't be driven on cheap fuel?
03 1.8 tdci Injectors? Fuel Pump? Cheap Diesel? - RichardW
What's 'cheap' diesel??

Common rail injection pumps have very fine tolerances, and work to very high pressures. Chances are your 'cheap' diesel has not had the correct level of lubricity and the pump has eaten itself - which will probably mean replacing the pump, pipes and injectors. Not looking cheap anymore :-((
03 1.8 tdci Injectors? Fuel Pump? Cheap Diesel? - rtj70
"Or is the lesson that these cars can't be driven on cheap fuel? "

Can you elaborate on cheap fuel? Do you mean recycled cooking oil or similar? If yes and yours is a common rail engine you may have just discovered why this was a bad idea.
03 1.8 tdci Injectors? Fuel Pump? Cheap Diesel? - oilrag
Hello confusedm,

Sorry to hear of your situation and I notice that this is your first post.
There are techs on the forum and I am sure someone will be along shortly.

In the meantime it would be helpful if you could give great detail on that cheap fuel. What was it? how many miles was it run on it? how many miles since you stopped using it?

Detail too about how you noticed the poor fuel was a problem, what were the symptoms then?

This will also help others in the future as they read this thread.

Regards