What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Road test - 1.25 Style - stunorthants26
Had one as a loan car today and onto tomorrow. I know its just been replaced but its the first time ive drive one!

Good points: Spacious up front, handles nicely, reasonable interior quality, boot is wide, noise suppression is good, brilliant gearbox, steering and brakes very nice.

Bad points: 1.25 engine is a useless, gutless wonder devoid of torque ( actually tested it back to back against my Charade and it lost badly, thirsty, boot is shallow, rear seat space poor for size of car, quality doesnt extend past the dashboard with lots of hard plastics everywhere else, suspension was already creaking on my 5000 mile example.

Overall, I loved its general feeling of calm when driving, but it is let down by a terrible engine that is quiet but obviously not suited to the Fiesta - a low-pressue turbo would have sorted this Im sure. Its a bit average really and the problem I have is that to get any performance in the petrols, you pay at the pumps.
Road test - 1.25 Style - MikeTorque
A new range of small petrol and diesel engines (some turbo) are in the pipeline.
Road test - 1.25 Style - Rattle
I believe the newer 1.25s are heavily detuned from the original 1995 version due to emisions. I have driven a 2005 1.25 and found it quite slow and that was a learner car. I think I would describe it like you do, lacking in torque, it never felt it had much pulling power.

My Endura engine has no power at all, it is slow as anything but it feels very very torquey and diesel like which makes it very easy to drive - providing you don't want to over take.
I had two instances where the lack of power really suprised me.

Once I was pulling out of a garage and was rolling at 15 mph in 2nd gear, gap appeared and so I buiried the gas pedal... and virtually nothing happened. I quickly snatched 1st and off I went although even that wasnt lightening quick.

Second time I was going up a long hill near home. Not the steepest hill but it is about a half-mile long. Now you start at a 40 max at the bottom and it becomes national speed limit. Normally in my Charade Im in 4th and change up to 5th at about 50 reachinga terminal speed of just under 60 before you hit the 30 for my village.
I tried this in the Fiesta and it actually started slowing once I was in 5th having taken a fair while to get to 50 even.

There was also an annoying resonance at about 1750 rpm - annoying because thats 30 mph in 4th.

I guess the best way id describe the feeling of the engine is strangled. Its a shame because it ruins an otherwise decent car.
Road test - 1.25 Style - daveyjp
"There was also an annoying resonance at about 1750 rpm - annoying because thats 30 mph in 4th."

With such a low powered engine 3rd in 30 zones is a much better option. Works wonders in our Aygo which has similar characeristics to the Fiesta 1.25. It needs revs to keep it bowling along.
Road test - 1.25 Style - Rattle
Are you sure the engine wasnt; faulty? My humble 1.3 Fiesta is perfectly happy at 25mph in 4th, no labouring at all.
>>With such a low powered engine 3rd in 30 zones is a much better option<<

My Charade has no problem doing 30 in 4th AND it is higher geared than the Fiesta which is already doing 2000 rpm in 5th at 40 mph.

I dont think its too much to expect a little flexibility in an engine, esp when in a small car which shouldnt tax it too heavily. Ive driven countless small cars over the years and ive not, until now, come across such a weedy engine application.
Tell a lie - Rover 200 1.1 - rare model for obvious reasons but that was a big car in its day and more suited to the 1.4 K-series.