What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 3.2 Heater vent selection problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I have a problem with my 03 MB E320 CDi inasmuch as no matter where you direct the airflow from the heater it will only direct air to the windscreen which I assume is a failsafe. I have not yet started to remove the centre console to examine the heater but assume that the vents are manipulated with little vacuum motors in which case first port of call will be the vacuum source. After that.............
Any advice gratefully received.
03 3.2 Heater vent selection problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Is this car fitted with manual rotary controls or digital climate control?
Is this car fitted with manual rotary controls or digital climate control?

Digital climate control,
03 3.2 Heater vent selection problem - elekie&a/c doctor
If I recall ,the electronic vacuum distribution block sits behind the dash,below glove box.Remove the plastic trim in passenger footwell and look up towards heater casing.I think the vacuum source enters the cabin through the bulkhead in this area in the corner kickwell .hth
Thanks for the response E&A/C Doc. Whilst diagnosing another fault on the car with the EGR valve I discovered a fractured rigid vacuum hose about 6" away from the EGR controller. I repaired this and took it for a drive then happily found the heater controls were working again, the vac leak at the EGR valve effectively took out the heating system.
I remember when you had little levers on the dashboard with hot/cold, screen/feet................................