What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1996 1.3 Best method of changing air filter? - Rattle
This might sound like a daft question but I changed the air filter on my dad's car a few weeks back (same engine 1.3). i found it quite hard as the top of the cover did not lift off, I had to slide the old out and slide a new one in, it took me a good 15 minutes (compared to about 30 seconds it took me to this my MK3 Fiesta and my dads old Ladas).

When I put it back in my dads car was idling at 2000rpm, I had to move airbox about a bit and it settled down to the normal 800-1100rpm idle speed.

I am worried I will do the same thing about, but my car has no rev counter so it will be harder to know if its revving too highly.

The pic shows my dads engine which is the same as mine, ignore the letters that was when I was trying to diagnose another fault.

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/engi...g

Edited by Pugugly on 01/11/2008 at 10:02

Apologies for all the typos in that, it is too late to edit now :(.

free editing service corrected them for you

Edited by Pugugly on 01/11/2008 at 10:02

1996 1.3 Best method of changing air filter? - mfarrow
Rattle

If you undo all the clips (front and back) the whole lid (complete with MAF and temperature sensors) should lift off quite easily. If not re-check that you've undone everything.
So I have to disconnect the MAF from that big air intake pipe? :(
So I have to disconnect the MAF from that big air intake pipe? :(

It's only a jubilee clip and an electrical plug.
Thanks that must be what I did wrong last time then, not disconnect the jubilee. I am very unlikely to cause damage am I? If the old filter had rusted onto the block I suspect the air filter must be black, although the car is running fine it can't do it anygood.

As you can see I have zero confidence on fixing cars, but I need to do this job myself as the filter is £5, it would be £15 if I took it to a mechanic, and all these £10 add up. I also need to fix the rear wiper motor but I am nto scared of that as there is nothing I can mess up.
I am very unlikely to cause damage am I?

Absolutely, just undo it so its loose then slide the pipe off the MAF. Do it back up screwdriver tight.

This is a real 1-spanner job.
Thanks! If I fit motherboards I am sure I can manage to dismantle an airbox, I will check nothing is blocking the MAF while I am there too.
Edit do I need to disconect the battery first?
No, just keep the ignition off.
1996 1.3 Best method of changing air filter? - oilrag
"Thanks! If I fit motherboards I am sure I can manage to dismantle an airbox,"

Exactly Rattle!
I think it`s just confidence really and that will come quickly when you succeed at DIY repairs.

You have the computer skills advantage too and are able to post photos of the job in hand. Its good to see `my mechanic` has missed his regular lick at the sugar lump on this job too.. ;)
Done it, I sort of cheated. I took all screws with my torx head and then disconnected the jubilee clip to unclip the pipe from the MAF, I then lifted the box up and slided the filter under, it was a lot easier than the way I did it with this pipe connected but I didn't have to disconnect any of the electrics.

There are some problems though:-
I noticed there is a crack in the box
One of the screws head has rusted in so one corner won't fasten properly, I have put tape across on that.

I have just driven 2 miles in it and no over revving, idles perfectly etc so it must be pretty air tight.

The old filter wasn't as bad as I expected, but the date on it was 2003 so it supports the fact the car has done so little milleage over the last few years hence on 66,600 now.
1996 1.3 Best method of changing air filter? - Number_Cruncher
>>I noticed there is a crack in the box

A perfect part to source from a scrapyard - not in anyway safety critical, and can easily be inspected before purchase.