What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
94 1.8 several mk3 questions - where is stuff type - Javalin
Hi All,

Couple of questions on the Golf mk3 (M reg).

1) How do I tell which engine code it is? I've looked on the chassis plate and on the engine chassis itsself but not seen anything (ABU, ABS, etc?) code like.

2) Where are the fuel injector(s) - I assume hidden on the back? (towards the cabin) How do I tell if its single point vs Multipoint injection (unless when I can find the injectors there are more than one?)

3) Where is the crankshaft sensor?

Thanks a lot for any help!!

James
Oh - also

4) The coolant temp sensor - has two circuits one for the dash gauge and one for the ECU. Does anybody know which is which? One has a 10v feed and the other 5v.

Cheers again,

james
94 1.8 several mk3 questions - where is stuff type - Screwloose
James

You're looking for AAM, ADZ, or ABS on the label on the top of the cam-belt cover; the inside of the service book cover and on a silver label in the boot floor area.

That code will determine the answers to the other questions.
Thanks screwloose - I'll check tonight.
Its an 66kw ABS type engine!

Edited by Javalin on 31/10/2008 at 08:27

94 1.8 several mk3 questions - where is stuff type - Peter D
Bosch Monotronic single poiont injector. Inductive pick up in the distributor, 12v is form the temp gauge and 5v from the ECU. Regards Peter
Thanks PeterD.

>Inductive pick up in the distributor
so no seperate cam/crank sensors on this one then? I.e. the girlfriends punto has a crankshaft pully hall-effect sensor to pickup the missing tooth.

Reason for asking is the ECU is logging a P0515 (I belive its a P0) - camshaft/hall effect issue code. I've o'scoped the cam hall effect on the disti and its a nice 12v square wave - so seems ok. Was going to scope the cam vs crank and see if something else is moving?

Cheers,

James

Edited by Javalin on 31/10/2008 at 10:15

94 1.8 several mk3 questions - where is stuff type - Screwloose
James

No crank sensor on an ABS.

No P-codes, too early; your code is VAG 00515 - "No signal from CKP/RPM sensor" - which will be present all the time the engine isn't actually running. If it clears with engine-on; then ignore it.
Screwloose,

Thanks for the information - the scan tool just said 515, so I assumed.

Cheers,

James