What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2002 2.0 90 bhp hdi engine will not start - billymacaw
The engine went in limp mode when low on fuel?.(did not run out just light on) refueled and drove home with the engine light on max rev 2500. day after would not start. There is a bulb to press for the fuel a couple of squeazes, she starts then immediately stops and strangely the head lights come. It is now in the peugoet workshop and diagnosed as having an air leak on the fuel filter. They said this could be the problem but untill replaced cannot gaurantee that there would no be another fault. I feel it was strange to run in limp mode if there was air getting in. And now putting the lights on after it starts for a second then stops. Seems more like electrical to me? any thoughts would be appreciated. The car is still with peugoet awaiting my instructions for them to go ahead, if it is only the fuel fillter housing could fit myself and save £65.00 plus vat
Thankyou
Billy

{51 changed to 2001 2002 (see below) as 51 is the reg plate, not the 'year of manufacture' - which is what the fill in box asked for}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2008 at 18:46

51 2.0 90 bhp hdi engine will not start - Screwloose
Billy

Very weird one; bad earths come to mind. Strange to see a Siemens-fuelled car on a 51-plate too.

Have they given you any hard facts - codes, pressure readings etc?

The headlights could just be a low-battery effect - that can cause starting faults too - or maybe your Comms 2000 is playing up and there are immobilizer issues at work.
51 2.0 90 bhp hdi engine will not start - billymacaw
Hi, Thanks for your quick reply, The car is an 02 model year RHY Engine. My sons thoughts was a bad earth. No hard facts just fuel filter air problem. The battery is low as the eco modus active did come on. Dont know what to do, let them replace the filter and housing and hope for the best or get it home and replace the thing myself and fully charge the battery. keep my fingers crossed. My son is a mechanic and will be ok with the filter change regarding contamination. Dont like main agents they replace parts untill the right one is found. When they say this could be the problem and could be others but we are 90% sure. So much for there diagnostics. Expensive!! or am I just being sceptical
Thanks again
Kind Regards Bill
51 2.0 90 bhp hdi engine will not start - Screwloose
Bill

Give me some hard facts and I might be able to be more specific; at the mo it's all conjecture.

Ask the garage for a list of the fault-codes found; if the light has been on then there will be codes.

What's the issue with them replacing the filter and housing? Routine 3-minute service job, you never open a filter housing on these - always change the whole thing - unless you fancy a new fuel system.

Eco mode will clear once the battery voltage recovers and the BSi sees engine revolutions. Doesn't mean the battery is actually flat.
Hello Screwloose,
Thankyou for your help and much appreciated.
I have got the car back from peugoet, all that they have given me regarding fault codes is on the receipt it states "investigated none start tested and found the fuel filter drawing air, new filter housing required". When I asked for a print out showing the fault codes the receptionist said that a print out had not been done as this was the only fault showing!! There could be other faults once the housing had been replaced?. I have now put the battery on charge my son will change the whole filter and housing hopefully Friday, I am more than a little dissapointed with peugoet as they have given me a completed vehicle checklist rather than more details of what was requested from the diagnostics no fault codes given to me. They have spent more time checking and reporting on the vehicles general condition which apart from two worn tyres has a good report. They quoted £120 to fit a £50 filter the filter a routine 3 min job!! and no gaurantee from them that it resolve the problem.
Thankyou for the tip on changing the whole thing, and the eco mode issue.
Will let you know the effects with any fault codes with a fully charge battery and a new filter and housing, keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks again.
Kind Regards Bill
Hello Srewqloose,
The problem is now sorted. It was the filter housing drawing in air. A new housing and filter cured it. Limp mode engine warning light etc all confused the issue everything went normal when restarted . Back to basics when a diesel will not start check for air in the fuel lines first. A lesson learned again.
I am new to this site and find it absolutely brill for info and recommending it to all.
Only one comment though on Reg date and manufactured date on the drop down menu. Unless you can read the date of manufacture from the chassis no, info on the registration document only gives registration date not the date of manufacture, which could be months and years earlier. Special notes on the V5C may state new at first registration but the vehicle may have been in a compound for ages before registration confusing again the model year.
Best site I have found for a long time.
Thankyou.
Kind Regards Bill