What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 1.3 - faulty heaters - snipz
my heaters in my fiesta are only blowing cold air, i have felt the pies on the bulk head leading to the matrix and both pipes are getting hot untill they reach the valve and then only the return pipe is warm does this mean i have a faulty valve or something else please help winter is coming...

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/10/2008 at 13:40

faulty heaters - Dynamic Dave
Year of manufacturer and some engine details please. I can then move this across to Technical matters where questions of this nature are best asked.

DD. BR Moderator.
faulty heaters - snipz
my fiesta is an s reg 1275 engine
faulty heaters - Rattle
Check there is a pulse at the heater control valve. The most common fault on these is the valve but also the control panal on the dashboard also tends to pack up.
faulty heaters - snipz
im not sure what u mean by a pulse
faulty heaters - Pete F
I think if you remove the electrical connection from the heater valve, then it will be open and heater should be hot whatever control position. This would indicate the heater control panel was faulty. Unfortunately it is quite pricey, so best to borrow one first to try.
faulty heaters - snipz
which electrical connection do you mean the one in the bulk head ontop the valve or the one in the dash behind the heater dials
faulty heaters - topbloke
the heater valve connection, try a search there has been loads of post's about this subject
faulty heaters - snipz
i pulled the plug off the top of the valve on the bulk head and it did not let any warmth through could that be the valve or something else?
1998 1.3 - faulty heaters - Glee
Having the same problem with a '97 1.8 diesel..

Bought a new valve and stuck it in but the lack of heat was still there... I've now taken the new one back out to be returned to Ford....

Anymore suggestions?? Would a new control panel do the job and would a second hand one be any good??
1998 1.3 - faulty heaters - Glee
I know I'm replying to my own message but..

Would a lack of water/anti freeze cause a lack of heat.

I'm going to drain the system and fill it up...
What's the proper combination of water / anti freeze?
1998 1.3 - faulty heaters - tony@tooting
A lack of antifreeze in the water will not cause a lack of heat from the heater.

As several questions have been asked about this system here is how it basically works.

The problem with most car heaters is that when the engine is at low engine speed, (Ie idle) there is very little water flow, and therefore heat, from the heater. To help to overcome this Ford engineers designed a system that included a heater controll pannel, coupled to a valve, to try to ensure a good flow, even at low speeds. The control circuits in the pannel will open the valve fully, or for longer depending on what heat setting is selected and engine speed. The valve is a simple on/off water valve, so the regulation is done by pulsing the water flow. Select say half heat, and the valve may be pulsing on/off every two seconds at idle. At 30 MPH, it may be pulsing every second, thus giving a constant heat output at varying driving conditions. BUT.....In the summer, the valve is closed as power is sent to the valve to keep the waterflow shut. This can cause the rubber seal to stick, and give no heat, just as winter approaches.
The water flow upto the valve returns to the engine, if the valve is closed, via a bypass drilling. This is vital to the operation of the engine thermostat. A defective batch of valves were produced with insufficent return flow that then caused overheating of the engine when the car was driven hard.
If the connector on the valve is removed, then the valve will open fully, and the heater should give full heat.
1998 1.3 - faulty heaters - snipz
i got 2 bits of copper pipe and bypassed the valve and got hot air straight away could i leave it like this or should i replace the valve because obviously the valve is the problem..
1998 1.3 - faulty heaters - Screwloose

That depends on how hot you like your car.....