What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
05 2.0 slight rattle idling, & tailgate alignment - Matt86
Hi everyone, hope you can help me.

Just bought a 55 plate 2.0 tdci and have a couple of niggles.

1) Rattle when Idle - il be honest this is very minor but slightly annoying. When idleing there is a rattle which sounds like its from the dash somewhere. The car idles at about 750rpm and if i increase this to 800rpm its gone. It also dissappears if I turn the heated screens on. literally increasing the revs to the extent where the needle barely moves is enough to stop it. Does anyone know where its from?

2) Tailgate Alignment - ive noticed my boot is not aligned correctly I.e as you look at the car back on the top right hand side of the boot is high (a clear 2cm gap). I have investigated and im 100% positive the right hand hinge is taller than the left and looks different by eye. Can anyone please confirm that they have two equal hinges that look exactly the same? Wonder if the cars been in an accident or tampered with.

Your help is very much appreciated

Thanks. Matt

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2008 at 01:19

2005 2.0 slight rattle when idle and tailgate alig - jimbano
Hi,

My friend has a 2003 mondeo tdci, which had a rattle from it. We traced it to the air filter box chafing against the inner wing. A bit of foam insulation soon sorted that.
With the bonnet raised and engine idling and rattle evident, sit in the car and ask a 2nd person to move the air filter box about and see if noise disappears. Easy fix if this is your problem.

With regards to tailgate alignment, the car could have had accident damage at somepoint if the alignment is that far out. There is plenty of adjustment on the tailgate and hinges, but this can be tricky, but not always. Sometimes alignment can take 5-10 mins, other times a good bit longer.
Can't you take it back to where you bought the car?

hth

Edited by Webmaster on 15/10/2008 at 01:34