Tyre Speed Rating - ian
I mentioned this a while ago but it kind of got lost and I can't believe the difficulty I'm having in a getting a decent answer from BMW customer service.

Basically the manual for my 528 shows all other models (520,523 etc.) apart from the 528 being on v rated tyres, the 2.8 model is listed as W rated. Now I assume they write this for a reason. My BMW approved 528 has been supplied on V's the spare is original and a W. BMW say.....

"Thank you for your recent email regarding speed ratings on tyres for your
BMW motorcar.

I can confirm that V rated tyres will be fine with your vehicle although, as
the handbook states W rating is preferred. The difference between the two
is 10 kph. V rated is a maximum speed of 220 kph and the W rating is a
maximum speed of 230 kph."

Well if thats the case did they just kind of think it would be nice to list the 528 as a W or was there some serious technical input into the decision and if so the above answer is not really acceptable. I might as well downgrade the oil a bit, or dilute the coolant slightly.

I know it's not a life or death difference between the two but it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect a BMW dealer to supply a car to BMW's specification.

Thanks, Ian

p.s according to the BMW customer service "girl" it's not alright to drive with a tyre rated above a W or to mix speed ratings on the same axis! her words exactly at which point I realised the subtlety of the discussion was clearly lost on her!
don't mean to be sexist honest
Tyre Speed Rating - CM
Although I am not qualified to say, the reply you got is bull.

220kmh = 137.5mph
230kmh = 143.75mph

It is unlikely that you are going to drive at these speeds (although that is not the point) and I believe that the top speed of a 528 is about 140mph. Therefore your tyres are not legal.

If they say that the 10kmh makes no difference then pray tell me what is the point of having the different speed ratings?
Tyre Speed Rating - keithb
The BMW girl seems to be totally wrong. From the information I have, the maximum speeds are 240 kmh (149 mph) for V and 270 kmh (168 mph) for W rated tyres. This is confirmed in my BMW handbook. Although I'm sure you won't exceed 149mph, the speed rating is only one of the specs relating to the tyres. I would be worried that other aspects of the spec make V rated tyres unsuitable for your car. Apart from the risk that an insurance co. might have a get-out if you claim, BMW specify W for the car so that's what you should have and the dealer should put this right. I wouldn't accept a dealer's assurance that the tyres are OK.
Tyre Speed Rating - Phil P
Have you actually rung your insurer and queried whether they deem it acceptable for your 528 to run on V rated tyres?

Surely if they don't have a problem it won't make much difference to you, but if they do have a problem you have a very strong case to demand your tyres be replaced ASAP by the supplying dealer with W rated examples.
Tyre Speed Rating - keithb
Have you actually rung your insurer and queried whether they deem
it acceptable for your 528 to run on V rated tyres?

And if they say 'yes', get it in writing.
Tyre Speed Rating - John S
Data I have from Micheldever says:
Tyres marked V in conjunction with a load index eg 93V are suitable for speeds in excess of 210km/h and up to 240km/h. The load index relates to 210 km/h and must be reduced by 3% for every 10km/h up to 240km/h.

Tyres marked W in conjunction with a load index eg 83W are suitable for speeds in excess of 240km/h and up to 270km/h. The load index relates to 240 km/h and must be reduced by 5% for every 10km/h up to 270km/h.

Tyre marked VR within the size designation are designed for speeds in excess of 210km/h

Tyres marked ZR within the size designation are designed for speeds in excess of 240km/h

210 km/h = 131 miles/h
240 km/h = 150 miles/h

I don't have the load ratings to hand, but as I recall they are pretty generous, tyres like this being in the order of 900 or 1000kg so I don't believe will be a problem even with the derating above 210km/hr. My 323 is listed as being capable of 141miles/hr (225km/h) and runs on 91 V tyres. I reckon your car will be OK. I've never fully understood why makers 'overtyre' cars - but it does happen. A typical example was Vauxhall who supplied V rated tyres on things like 1.8 Cavaliers.

Regards

John S
Tyre Speed Rating - Dynamic Dave
I've never fully understood why makers 'overtyre' cars -
but it does happen. A typical example was Vauxhall who
supplied V rated tyres on things like 1.8 Cavaliers.

I don't know what the book speed of 1.8 Cav's are, but I've driven some that can top 125mph!!
My old 2.0 Cav (manual) was capable of 135mph. On one occasion it went off the clock (142mph). What let it down was the handling - or rather lack of it!!
DD

Don't always believe the speedo. Book figures are:

1.8 - 114

2.0 8v - 123

2.0 16v - 135

The leasing company our company used usually insisted that replacement tyres were H rated rather than V rated. I assume they'd checked with the insurers.

Regards

John S
Tyre Speed Rating - dave18
What are T rated tyres safe for? My 309 1.4 speedo showed 123 on a long downhill stretch on the motorway recently, assuming this was say 115 was this too fast for the tyres?
T = 118miles/hr

Don't forget this isn't a point at which the tyre will instantly fail, merely a recommended maximum.

Regards

John S
John S,

Don't always believe the book figures. They are generally quoted minimum speed. All the Vauxhalls I have driven have always gone faster than the book speed.
DD

Yes the book figures are flat road etc, but often the makers data are not matched by proper road test data. Yes, on a downhill stretch with the wind in the right direction you may be able to better the quoted maximum, but you can bet the speedo is overestimating what you're actually achieving.

One useful check is to look at the gearing in top. If the car is long legged, the maximum may be below revs for max power. On some shorter geared cars, it's at or above max power. In the first case they may find it easier to exceed the theoretical maximum, but in the latter as the power curve is dropping, it's a fair bet they won't, and certainly not on the flat. Most non-SRi vauxhalls are in the former category, SRi in the latter. All my Vauxhalls have been overeading by up to 4 miles an hour at 70 (checked on a measured mile). However, the tacho was apparently more accurate than the speedo as the indicated revs at 70 were equivalent to the actual speed.
Regards

John S
John S.

Car I was referring to was a 91 Cavalier 2.0 CDi, 8v engine, manual gearbox, 115 bhp.

Difference between the SRi gearbox and the CDi gearbox is that the CDi gearbox 4th gear is the SRi's 5th gear.

Rev counter seemed to match speedo throughout in top gear.
ie, 31mph per 1000rpm.
66, 2000
93, 3000, ect, ect.

When the Cav speed went off the clock (speedo range to 140mph) I was doing 4,500 rpm. Speedo was reading ITRO 142mph. Seemed pretty linear to me.

Yes, I agree, the speedo was probably overeading, but not by much.

Strange thing was that the SRi was supposed to be quicker because it had the close ratio gearbox and 130bhp. However, I could hold the CDi in each gear longer, and the CDi engine had more torque than the SRi. I not only had a higher top speed, the acceleration was greater as well. As I said earlier, the handling was the only disapointment - until I uprated it with gas struts all round. Best Vauxhall I ever owned, wolf in sheeps clothing.

To get back on subject, it was fitted with 91H speed rated tyres. Handbook said that 91V's should have been fitted, but the local dealership and independant tyre gagare both said that the 91H's would be more than adaquate.
Dave

Yes, the 2.0l 8v Cavaliers were a useful motorway cruiser, with a effectively an overdrive top gear. I had a '92 1.8 for while. Bit slow on acceleration, but a decent cruiser when it got there.

Sad thing is I still have the Cavalier brochure, and that gives the following data:

2.0 8v GL/CD etc 4th 21.2 miles an hour per 1000 revs, 5th 26.6

SRI 4th 16.7 miles an hour per 1000 revs, 5th 21.2

As you say, CD 4th is the SRi 5th, and the fact you could only reach 4,500 revs in top confirms that it is over-geared, whilst the SRi is quite short geared. My experience of 2 litre Vectras is that the SRi was noticeable sharper in 5th than the 'normal' car. On Vectras the non-SRi cars were not so high geared as the non-SRi Cavalier.

That said, your 31 miles/hr per 1000 is a bit of an over estimate. The indicated 4,500 in top multiplied by the brochure figure of 26.6 equates to about 120, which is to all intents and purposes the quoted 123 miles/hr maximum.

Regards

John S
>> That said, your 31 miles/hr per 1000 is a bit of
an over estimate. The indicated 4,500 in top multiplied by
the brochure figure of 26.6 equates to about 120, which is
to all intents and purposes the quoted 123 miles/hr maximum.

Not saying you're wrong John. All I know when I was belting down the A34 at 2am at an indicated speed of 142mph, my mate in his 2litre Sierra couldn't keep up. His speedo was reading 120mph.

I guess that's maybe why manufactuers have now steered away from cable driven speedos running from the gearbox, in preference for the electronic ones running from a sensor from one of the wheels. More accurate I imagine.

Tyre Speed Rating - M.M
Blimey fellas....

Friend's just bought a half tidy 1994 Cavalier 2.0GLS 16V, sounds like that'll be making Mark's Ferrari look a bit slow.

John...no need to go on when you've got higher than the cistern.

;-)

David W
Tyre Speed Rating - dave18
When my 309 speedo showed 123 I had to laugh HOWEVER I don't think it was far off because the rev counter was slightly redlining (6200 rpm) and on the flat it will indicate 110, which is a few mph more than the book speed (107 i think) but not 10% inaccurate or whatever. Its a 1.4 (75 bhp, ish)
Bearing in mind the engine probably performs better than that of a new, 'test' car, how much will the speedo actually over-read?
Tyre Speed Rating - <0.One%
Ian: Be more asserive. It does not matter what the customer service girl or boy says. You have to talk/write to a senior responsible BMW Director, copy the letter to BMW HQ in Germany.

Inform them that you have been supplied with sub-standard car relating to a technical safety issue (i.e. below-spec tyres), that this is against HSE Safety regulations, that you are going to take the matter to court if it is not sorted pronto. Also tell them that you are already publicising this issue on the internet.
Tyre Speed Rating - CM
I think that the MOT covers the following:

Tyre size/type
Tyre load/speed rating
Tyre condition

However I think (although am not sure) that the load/speed rating only applies to class V and VII (private passenger vehicles with 13-16 seats & goods vehicles).