What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Young motorists - Hector Brocklebank
What could be done to stop the carnage amongst the under-25's on our roads? This demographic are responsible for a huge percentage of fatalities and serious injuries. Is there no way of educating them effectively rather than relying on just a rudimentary driving exam?

Edited by Pugugly on 12/10/2008 at 14:16

Young Motorists - Hamsafar
The statistics are nonsense, as they are caused by young male criminal car thieves. The answer would be to put them to sleep humanely, as they repeatedly reoffend. What's more, a lot of these accidents are caused by the same repeat offenders.
Young Motorists - NowWheels
The statistics are nonsense as they are caused by young male criminal car thieves

You're right that car theft is a predominantly male habit, but I wish it were just the thieves. It's young men in general who are the problem, not just car thieves (although the thieves and joyriders are the worst).

There are of course plenty of young men who are sensible and responsible drivers, but a large number of young male drivers I have known have been involved in accidents. A heck of a lot of them overestimate their driving abilities or try to try to explore the limits of those abilities: see for example the IAM's report of an AA study at tinyurl.com/4srp3e (BBC report at news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4368618.stm ). For a less scientific assessment, look at this report of comments by a judge, presumably based on his experience of young male drivers appearing in his court: tinyurl.com/47zlqp

Car insurance is a competitive business, and the insurers have plenty of actuaries to calculate the risks. If you male drivers weren't such a high risk, there would long have been someone cornering the market by offering to insure young male drivers at lower premiums than their competitors. They don't do that because they will lose money that way: see www.insurancedaily.co.uk/2008/09/26/young-male-dri.../
Young Motorists - freakybacon
Heavy penalties for driving without insurance(ideally jail time)
Limit under 25s to cars with less than 80hp
Total ban on under 25s driving between 22.00/0500
Young Motorists - Pugugly
Disagree with the horsepower limitation. I was driving a 130 bhp rear wheel drive car at that age and I'm still here - exactly the same nonsense nearly drove motorcycling to an early grave.
Young Motorists - Big Bad Dave
It's down to paternal discipline.

I can't imagine anything worse on this earth then to have had to return a car to my dad in a different shape from when I had set out. So I made damned well sure that I didn't.

Discipline discipline discipline.
Young Motorists - Alby Back
I hit a metal lamp post with my dad's Volvo 244 when I was 17. The Volvo was fine but the lamp post........

:-(
Aged 19 I had a near miss in a Morris Marina 1.8TC (which was a beast when it was damp) which taught me everything in a nano second that I would ever need to know about the combination of rwd and powerful engines and damp roads.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/10/2008 at 14:37

Young Motorists - stunorthants26
I had a young 'man' sitting on my bumper through a tight and twisty village today, complete with his bleach blond bint grinning away next to him. My first instinct was that they be struck by a blunt object, but in reality, the easiest way to get rid of them is give them very powerful cars and hope they meet their maker before they assist someone else in doing so.

Teenagers especially are exceptionally irritating at the best of times and few seem to be responsible enough to hold a license. Id like to see the minimum age raised to 21 personally with subsidised public transport introduced until they are 21.
Young Motorists - jase1
deleted

Edited by jase1 on 12/10/2008 at 14:50

Young Motorists - DP
Nothing, short of stopping them holding licenses (which I do not advocate, by the way)

Who can honestly say they drove sensibly, considerately and safely when they were <21, and would want to deny that fantastic sense of freedom and excitement to others?

I cannot remember the last time I was hassled by a young driver on the road. Most of the truly dangerous or cringeworthy driving I see is by middle aged males in executive saloons and off roaders. Clearly not borne by the statistics, but I can only report what I see.

Cheers
DP
Young Motorists - P3t3r
Who can honestly say they drove sensibly considerately and safely when they were >

Me, and many others I'm sure!

The best solution is probably advanced driving. The only problem is that the advanced driving groups wouldn't cope if they were suddenly flooded with every new driver. However if you want to improve your driving, or get a child to improve their driving you can join a group with tutoring for less than £100.

It seems to me that a lot of drivers drive very badly, but the younger ones don't have as much experience to cope with the unexpected. I think younger drivers need better role models.
Young Motorists - Alby Back
That lamp post, which is in Edinburgh, I won't say where...... still has a large dent in it to this day. Or it had last time I looked.....

The Volvo BTW still comes up as in use when you check the reg. Three decades + later.

They don't make bumpers like that any more.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 12/10/2008 at 14:47

There's a fence with my name on it "somewhere in England" marks are still there circa 1977 by Morris 1000 !
Young Motorists - gordonbennet
I still have the same views as prior similar discussions.

Things have changed so dramatically since the vast majority of us were in that age group.
Apart from traffic levels obviously, i mean the handling and performance of modern vehicles.
Even 25 years ago but certainly before, many cars were quite fast, but the roadholding and sheer grip of most cars likely to be driven by that age were pretty dismal, and you very soon found the limitations of grip, had some scary moments and learned from them.

Come to the present day, and a medium car such as a Focus/Astra can charge around at tremendous speeds with almost no 'feel' or skill required from the driver.

Thinking here of my son, who's 29 now and until probably 23/25 relied very much on ABS saving the day if he misjudged it.
He's that bit older now and done a few years HGVing so he's learned a lot different, and i believe he has developed that feel, it only comes with experience, you can teach it up to a point but youngsters always know better, i did..;)
His current Impreza could qualify as the worst car ever for a unskilled youngster, grip and performance of breathtaking proportions and if you should ever lose it regardless of road conditions there would be very little chance of recovery, amazingly it doesn't have ABS, or any other driving aid.

I don't think many youngsters learn the limits of their cars simply because their cars are so capable, unfortunately when they do find the breakaway and lose it point its often at very high speed and will have tragic results, quite how you try to prevent it happening i don't know.

Young Motorists - NowWheels
I don't think many youngsters learn the limits of their cars simply because their cars
are so capable unfortunately when they do find the breakaway and lose it point its
often at very high speed and will have tragic results

Maybe all male drivers under 25 should be required to drive an old Morris Marina? ;)
Young Motorists - gordonbennet
Maybe all male drivers under 25 should be required to drive an old Morris Marina?
;)

You may be onto something there, and not just the male ones either, i see plenty of too fast for the surface/conditions with young females too..;)
Young Motorists - Devolution
I too, disagree with horsepower limitation. Even the most basic of cars will accelerate quickly enough in the lower speed range and I imagine a vast majority of accidents happen at speeds below the NSL.

The biggest cause of accidents in this age group (I believe) is losing control on a corner, which you can do in any road car today. A lack of awareness and car control as well as speed which contributes to this.

Unfortunately some younger drivers (I say some because I know they are just as many sensible ones out there!) feel that going faster is the only way to demonstrate being a skillful driver. Hence more people in this age bracket are constantly exceeding the 30mph limit, especially in their local area where they know they probably won't get caught because they rely only on their "youthful" reaction times and not the limits of the road, car or conditions.

Better education, maybe. I would like to see the Pass Plus elements being brought into the main part of driving test/lessons (exception still for Motorways) and more advanced driving tips such as using limit points and commentary driving. But those who will ignore, will always ignore until its too late.

Stiffer penalties perhaps, yes. But then those repeat offenders will always reoffend. Despite the good work of police, it's frustrating to see people who are already banned to get "a further ban for 3 months" or a small fine, or community service and so on.

On the other hand you could go the other way and *reward* good, young drivers. Maybe by lowering premiums if they demonstrate a good driving record free of incidents and speeding offences, by better advertising of pass plus and advanced driving courses etc. ( I know some councils were discounting pass plus - this should be nationwide...)

Young Motorists - freakybacon
Pugugly it may be true that you had a 130bhp rear wheel drive car, and at that age I do not doubt that you were responsible enough to to control it but it would still have been a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands. That was when roads were quieter, not every young man(and it will be in the main young men as they are slaves to their testosterone) is irresponsible. Unfortunately the only way to control the irresponsible ones is to repress the responsible ones.

In addition:
Driving without a valid licence- Jail time
Compulsory tuition for motorway driving- possibly with an additional written test.

Edited by freakybacon on 12/10/2008 at 15:33

Young Motorists - NorfolkDriver
Compulsory tuition for motorway driving- possibly with an additional written test.

Dont agree with this. I live 65 miles from the nearest motorway, for compulsory motorway tuition I would have to have a four hour lesson just to be on a motorway for one hour.

Young motorists - cjehuk
How about letting people make their own decisions instead of trying to impose more rules and regulations? The problem is that with every well meant rule/law/comment we remove a little more control from the individual. As a result another few hundred people switch off another small part of their brain. Thus we are left with Zombies in our companies and on our roads simply following from instruction to instruction. George Orwell's 1984 would have loved this way of thinking. In the real world however we are increasingly making things more dangerous by consistently being over protective and trying to prevent every possible mistake.

By the time I was 25 this year I've owned cars of 200+ Hp and driven cars with over 450Hp, some for hundreds of miles in a few days. It's about making responsible decisions and appropriate ones. People will kill themselves just as effectively in low powered cars because these tend to be smaller (hence less crash absorption zone) and also often older (due to being cheaper) and so less well built to withstand a crash. By far the best thing is to accept that accidents will happen while motoring, flying, sailing, travelling by train, cycling and walking.
Young motorists - Devolution
Making driving lessons better/longer, better educating and stiffer penalties does not take any control away from anyone, they will still have the same ultimate freedom of driving. The only rules once you are out there is the same for everyone, adhere to speeds, observe road signs and conditions and drive safely.

Now if we were saying drivers under 25 must only travel below 40mph or only travel on certain roads then yes I see your point, but that's not the case here. No regulation changes like that would stop accidents, because you could never police it 100% plus laws will always be flouted.

It's more about how we can encourage and give incentive to younger drivers to form good driving habits.

Losing control by going too fast on a corner is *not* an accident,
Going too fast, not being able to stop in time and hitting someone or something is *not* an accident.
Racing through a red light is *not* an accident,
Speeding is *not* an accident.

In fact very few collisions or deaths on the road are accidents, ie road collapsing, mechanical failure; more they are driver error - something which could have been avoided.

This is why new drivers aren't limited by choice of car, only by what the individual can afford/choose etc.

Young motorists - teabelly
What needs to be done is further education in how having passengers affects a cars handling and performance. Many have also been conned by the 'just stick to the speed limit and you'll be safe' culture so they are completely unable to judge appropriate speeds under many conditions and will default to doing whatever speed the sign on the side of the road says without thought. The driving instruction is geared towards passing the test not learning how to drive but this always has been the case. Ironically making the driving test harder has probably made the issue worse as it costs more and stops some learning that want to so more young people will be driven around by mates that have passed than before. The learning about road safety and responsible driving needs to start earlier and in schools to encourage the right attitudes. Basic car control could be taught in schools while pupils are still young so that once they get to learn to drive properly they are more likely to be able to concentrate on the more important skills such as anticipation and hazard awareness.

The young have always been over represented in accident statistics as they are both inexperienced and more hot headed than older drivers. I think it is just something that has to be learnt the hard way through having peers being injured. Modern cars protect them from their own stupidity just a bit too well so they don't always learn the lessons they need to. Raising ages for this and that will just put off the inevitable and will also lead to even more illegal driving on the roads. The bottom line is the battle has been lost with the uninsured and criminal element driving. It doesn't matter how many automated systems there are in place you actually have to have enough police to actually remove these people from the roads and get them out of the way and prevent them from doing it again you are just wasting your time.

Banning people from driving certain hours or with passengers will stop legitimate use of their car eg if they work shifts or have children. Limiting horsepower is just as potentially dangerous as 5 big lads in an underpowered car are more likely to be harmed when joining a fast dual carriageway or motorway than a car with more oomph to do it safely.

Ultimately the young and current drivers need to be educated about driving properly and that driving well is a skill that should be encouraged and rewarded and should also be enjoyed. Positive feedback always works better than negative consequences as people want to drive better to get the rewards rather than just trying to avoid points or punishment.

Young people today are already being molly coddled enough and protected from the harsh realities of the real world. We dumb down their exams so they can labour under the illusion they are more intelligent than ever then wonder why they get upset when they find out once they join the world of work that half of them are absolute planks!
Young motorists - Devolution
Just to add that I imagine more young people take risks... by the time you're over 25 you're more likely to be settled in a good job or have a family where you need your car and your license for daily life. When you're 17 you are more likely to feel untouchable... and driving is a game/race/comparison with your mates. (Not all 17yr olds of course!)
Young motorists - Blue {P}
wel I got myself into more scrapes when driving underpowered cars as an inexperienced youngster than I ever have since getting my V6, I don't think a power limit will have any effect.

As for limiting the hours of driving, ridiculous in the extreme, why bother getting a licence if you can't use it when you need it? Vast amounts of my social driving is done in the early hours of the morning.

COME ON GUYS!!! Barely a week goes by without hearing about a carload of teenagers being killed because of the lunatic at the wheel. It's all the more tragic when an innocent party coming the other way is killed too.
Not to mention the 50mph up-the-high-street maniacs in their saxos.
If you one of your loved ones was killed by an immature, irresponsible youth, you probably wouldn't shrug it off quite so lightly!!!!!!
Young motorists - stunorthants26
The problem is, most parents think their kids are responsible on the roads - I have a neighbour like this who THINKS his daughter would never do anything crazy but ive seen her doing crazy in her Punto - he will only learn if she dies. Sad but true AND he has been warned by several people about her driving antics.
Young motorists - Roger Jones
Is it perhaps just faintly possible that the attitudes and culture fostered by the only motoring programme on mainstream TV may have something to do with the behaviour of young male drivers?
Young motorists - stunorthants26
>>Is it perhaps just faintly possible that the attitudes and culture fostered by the only motoring programme on mainstream TV may have something to do with the behaviour of young male drivers?<<

No, young males are often idiots in many areas of life, not just driving and I doubt many of them think Clarkson is cool or a role model. Young people did stupid things long before TV.
Young motorists - Pugugly
"I doubt many" - I didn't read that on my first read trough and nearly choked on my Polo mint.
Young motorists - thomp1983
one way to help with education would be to introduce compulsory skid pan test and the like as part of your license so that new drivers are aware of what happens when control is lost and how it happens.

you'll never take the arrogance out of new drivers of either sex it's been around since the dawn of driving and will never be changed, all this new legislation just alienates the responsible drivers against the powers that be.

chris 24 bmw 535 driver 211bhp no accidents
Young motorists - Lud
one way to help with education would be to introduce compulsory skid pan test and
the like as part of your license so that new drivers are aware of what
happens when control is lost and how it happens.

Good idea if someone can pay for it. And should include vivid demonstration of the wet on-the-limit handling differences between a properly adjusted car with one or two passengers on a smooth grippy surface and an overloaded one with dodgy shock absorbers and randomly varied tyre pressures (like half the cars on the road) on the average Surrey roundabout....
Young motorists - Robin Reliant
one way to help with education would be to introduce compulsory skid pan test and
the like as part of your license so that new drivers are aware of what
happens when control is lost and how it happens.

You must be joking!

Put yourself in the mind of a seventeen year old. You've been taught how to corner with the back wheels sliding and on the edge of their adhesion. You're in your car on a damp road with a couple of your mates and some impressionable young girls and you are coming to a fast corner...

Don't even think about it.
Young motorists - teabelly
Those with an emotional reason for doing something shouldn't be forming policy!

A lot of the time it isn't a lunatic. Most of them time it is just some teenager that has had little driving experience discovering that driving at night with a car load of friends is a lot harder than driving around with an instructor with dual control. Perhaps driving instruction should include some driving where you have a car full of heckling passengers and the driver has to cope under the watchful eye of their instructor? Inattention/Distraction is the biggest single cause of accidents, according to american research, there is usually a couple of seconds of it before around 80% of all crashes.
Bull! Have you never seen any of these nutters?
Young motorists - deepwith
This subject has been covered several times in the past.

I would still like to see the figures once you remove from the equation the young people who have no licence, are underage, in stolen cars, drunk, on drugs, thieving and so on.

Many young people are good and responsible behind the wheel, lacking only experience. In rural areas, many of them will have been driving on farms from a young age.

Young males seem to push things to the limit, as they do in most areas of their lives and as said before, think they are infallible. They are less good at allowing for variables, whether the weight of passengers or the conditions. What changes that is when they realise their recklessness has a. nearly cost them their lives b. damaged their pride and joy and cost them their 'excess' c. put their insurance up to the point they find it difficult to pay for it.

In the early 70's the RAC offered a training course for 17 year old school children via schools. For £15 one had six weeks of theory, which included how the engine actually works, wheel changing and basic maintenance, the highway code and basics of roadcraft. Put into groups of three, there were then 33 hours of actual driving tuition of which each youngster did 11 hours. At the conclusion, another instructor took each pupil for a driving test and they completed a written paper on the theory.
Insurance companies gave a discount to young drivers who had this certificate.
This course had several benefits, not the least that one had driven with a full car and had learned from the mistakes of your friends.
I had this course for both my Christmas and birthday presents when 17. My only regret is that I lent the excellent theory books to someone when I started work and he never returned them.

To give some indication of relative costs, when I started work the following year I earned £10 a week, although had I been male it would have been £14!

Plenty of young "middle class" drivers dying around here, usually high achievers in other fields - my sister's nephew was one of them two years ago next month. Proficient and capable farm machinery driver, rugby player, not much of drinker, wiped out for no apparent reason.
Young motorists - NowWheels
Plenty of young "middle class" drivers dying around here usually high achievers in other fields

Sorry to hear about your sister's nephew. Losing a child is a terrible thing :(

In the parts of rural Ireland which I frequent, there is huge attention given to "single vehicle fatal accidents". It's nearly always a young man at the wheel, often late at night ... and all too often there other young people in the crashed car, usually either killed or seriously injured.

In Ireland, funerals are a community business, not just a family affair. People pack the churches for those funerals, and they are terribly painful events for everyone.
He was going to see his girlfriend - nothing on his mobile, straitish bit of road, no car defects, no drink or drugs - literally "wasted". The service was something to behold a jammed out church - people in the streets.
Young motorists - qxman {p}
Insurance premiums for young drivers are very very high - and not without good reason IMHO.

My son passed his test earlier this year (and done Pass Plus), as have several of his friends. These are all fairly affluent middle-class kids, not car thieves or ram raiders.

Already one of his mates has wrecked a £3500 Astra by putting it in a ditch. Another has done £5500 of damage to a three month old Suzuki Swift and yet another tried to do a 'handbrake turn' and put a Saxo through a wall. Last year a local girl was killed overtaking on a local bypass (60mph limit and she was doing 80+ and lost control). One of my wife's nephews was killed a couple of years back after the young driver of the car he was in tried to take a sharp corner (in a 30mph limit) at about 60mph and hit a wall, throwing the lad out through the back window.
Young drivers lack experience and judgement and their brains are poor at assessing risk. This is why the attrition rate is so high.
My son is not a bad driver but is a little over-keen on speed. Unfortunately he's a massive fan of Clarkson and watches all the Top Gear repeats on cable TV. He's trotted out the 'speed doesn't kill' line to me, but I've informed him that impacts at higher speeds result in more serious injuries.
The cars of 30 years ago had relatively low powered engines and modest levels of grip. Modern cars handle like race-cars by comparison and so when they do let go the impact speeds are so much higher.
Young motorists - Fullchat
I recently had a 'tip off' about one of our local young hot shot pilots who has just passed his test and is driving lick a complete idiot.
Anyway coming home this evening and would you believe it he's come off on a slight bend and put his car through a hedge. Looks like a write off.
There that didn't take long did it?
Young motorists - L'escargot
A high proportion of accidents are caused by a driver's inability to see a hazardous situation approaching sufficiently early. That ability only comes with experience, and the length of experience needed seems to be up to 8 years ~ from 17 years old to 25 years old. If people learned to drive at a higher age then they'd still need up to 8 years experience before they became significantly less accident-prone.
Young motorists - Ian (Cape Town)
Back in the days when I was learning to drive, I did lessons with the local driving instructor, for the 'what to do to pass the test', and my father took me out in his car at weekends with a running commentary... when he was behind the wheel, it was 'what he was doing, and why he was doing it', and when I had my chance, he'd point out things I was doing wrong, and WHY it was wrong, as well as pointing out possible hazards ahead, anticipation in situations, etc etc etc.

I find to this day that a lot of what he said still stays in the memory banks.
Young motorists - Tron
So many young drivers feel they are in a playstation based game and that crashing & stacking any vehicle is a walk away event.

Being pushed from the rear?

100 metres from a Gatso etc., pull over & let 'em scream past you.

Instant justice ;-)