What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driveways - GroovyMucker
Sorry, it's boring.

But we have a cracked concrete driveway which needs replacing. The choices are
those funny little bricks which the boss doesn't like (she who thinks a Golf is flashy)
patterned coloured concrete
tarmac (I fancy black with white chalk flecks, but that's me)
something more eco-friendly.

Any ideas?

Sorry.

Driveways - NowWheels
The most eco-friendly option by far is to leave the cracked concrete in place. Unless it's deteriorated to the point of being unusable, it does no harm.
Driveways - Hector Brocklebank
"Funny little bricks" or monoblocking to give it its proper title, is probably your best option if you can afford it, as it will add value to your home and look pretty good into the bargain. Depending on driveway size, a good job should cost around £3k-£5k. Hope this helps.
Driveways - Stuartli
>>a good job should cost around £3k-£5k. >>

I'd want double-glazing for that sort of price...:-)

Some years ago we decided that the front 9ft x 9ft lawn should go and that and the rest of the area be fully flagged - it needed 135 2x2 flags for the work.

We bought the flags and a local flag layer, who had worked for the local council for many years doing such work, charged us a £1 a flag for the work, including all the preparation of the foundation.

Today, despite the constant driving on and off of the Bora and an earlier Jetta, the flags are as level as the day they were laid.

Edited by Stuartli on 11/10/2008 at 00:48

Driveways - Big Bad Dave
">>a good job should cost around £3k-£5k. >>

I'd want double-glazing for that sort of price..."

I paid £27.50 per square metre this year for mine, including hardcore and labour. So about £750 for 9 x 3 metres.
Driveways - Lud
I agree with NW.

What's wrong with a bit of rubble with moss and stuff growing in the cracks?

Honestly some people, scrubbing the front steps with a toothbrush when the next bum who wants to relax with a can of cider is going to leave five rollup stubs, the can and a patch of unidentifiable fluid there for the rain to wash away...
Driveways - bathtub tom
I thought there's some kind of planning restriction on drives that don't allow a 'soakaway' element.

I had pavers laid several years ago, because I understood the gaps between individual blocks allowed surface water to drain between them. I was wrong! The gaps fill with moss and dirt, and effectively prevent draining.

In future I would go for the grass filled options that provide a firm standing, but allow surface water to soak away.
Driveways - teabelly
There is some stuff that you can use which is like a grid pattern that lets the grass grow through. It is often used for temporary car parks. It is a bit municipal looking but much better than those vile sealed driveways that will cause problems for adjacent buildings. Normal block paving with proper drainage is the next best thing. Otherwise just get some gravel and stick it over the top so you can't see the cracks :-)

Isn't there some kind of filler you can use on the cracks? The ground must have shifted or nearby trees may be trying to undermine it. You need to find the cause of the cracking before you just stick something else down.

Just googled and found this stuff:

www.rehbeinsolutions.com/technology/porouspaver.ht...l

Edited by teabelly on 11/10/2008 at 01:07

Driveways - Alby Back
That has set me thinking Teabelly. That net paving idea looks interesting. I have been agonising for years about our dilemma. We live on a very narrow road so on street parking while possible, is a bit anti-social. We have adequate off street parking for normal household use but on the occasions when there are visitors or multiple visitors we struggle a bit. I don't really want to extend the drive on to what is now a lawn but having a lawn growing through a material like that so that an occasional extra parking area is created seems like a bit of a plan. Hmmmmm

( Hidden agendas abound of course........)

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 11/10/2008 at 09:06

Driveways - b308
It does seem good stuff, over on the continent they seem to have a concrete version as well - lots of little side roads use it.
Driveways - Dwight Van Driver
I.m with Bathtub Tom

Mention earlier this year that Planning permission to be a requirement when lawns etc upgraded to metalled surface because of the effect on soakaway.

Whilst it would appear concrete already down I would consider speaking to Local Council
to confirm position.

dvd
Driveways - adverse camber
I agree. My understanding is that if you are replacing the concrete then you will have to use a porous material - should have done it last month.

Grasscrete is the concrete version of the grid stuff as used on many carparks.
Driveways - Hector Brocklebank
Full monoblocking around your house with proper drainage facilities etc is easily £5k.
Driveways - Big Bad Dave
Our entire road - some 300 metres, plus all the driveways, plus pavements is monoblock and we didn't pay a fraction of you would be paying.
Driveways - Alby Back
Yeah, and I bet the guys who did it live near me now Dave !

;-)
Driveways - Big Bad Dave
It is a problem Humph getting the labour at the moment! Send them back, I've been waiting 3 months to get some fencing built.
Driveways - GroovyMucker
It's cracked and seriously uneven and I have begun to worry that visitors might trip.
Driveways - oldnotbold
I used 120 tons of crushed concrete from a local demolition site, topped with 25 tons of 20mm aggregate, and 15 tons of 15mm gravel. Best bit was driving the 4x4 dumper for two days while we dug out the topsoil.

Drains nicely, as we put the crush in at 12" depth, though 6" would be normal for domestic drives.

Paving bricks look good, but are skilled job to lay, so don't take the cheap quote.
Driveways - Aretas
I had to make a decision on my driveway a couple of years ago. £3k for block paving and under £1k for tarmac plus chippings.

Went the tarmac route. Love it. The previous 34 year old tarmac had deteriorated largely because I did not go round the edges regularly and kill the weeds. Thanks for the reminder - will go and do it now!
Driveways - I'm a Pane
Block paving with a proper subsurface/foundations and semi porous geotex membrane is the best (read most expensive) option. Standard block paving will now require planning permission (which to be honest is usually granted), but interlinked blocks with drainage are available at a price which negates the planning requirements.
Don't touch the patterned concrete - the colour wears off and it cracks badly due to lack of flexibility in the large sections used.
Tarmac is the cheap and cheerful option, just PLEASE don't use urmm someone who lives on a caravan site and who has probably been on Watchdog and Rogue Traders! Ask your local authority who they use.
Eco-friendly ideas are, as others have said, the geometic matting which lets grass grow through (although since this is usually plastic based I'm not sure just how eco friendly it is in reality). Or the old gravel driveway like what they 'ave on posh houses!

Edited by Everest Pete on 11/10/2008 at 16:02

Driveways - borasport20
Screwfix recently had an offer on one of the eco-friendly let the grass grow through type options. I'm sure it came up in the BR, but I can't find it now. If I find the link, I'll post it later.

I'd love to go for that sort of thing, but the groundwork looked expensive/hard work. And you have to ask, can you jack a car up on it ?

Driveways - Trilogy.

Why has this suddenly appeared? There's supposed to have been a post this morning, unless I'm going mad I can't see anything. Perhaps there's a ghost at HJ.

Driveways - Xileno

It was raised by what looked suspiciously like a spammer, then deleted.

Driveways - Avant

Correct - it was indeed a spammer.

Driveways - Metropolis.
Would certainly not want to Jack a car up on it but it might hide my oil spills better than the stained tarmac I have now...yes I really am replying to Borasport20 from 2008...

Edited by Metropolis. on 19/02/2021 at 00:14

Driveways - barney100

Need to be careful with tarmac, your car can sink into it if it's not done properly.

Driveways - Metropolis.
Thank you for this safety tip Barney I was not aware. I have avoided being nominated for the Darwin Award simply because I can change the oil on my Land Rover without needing to raise it. I did use plastic ramps at one point but soon realised it was totally unnecessary.