What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
00 2.0 Cold Start Fast Idle Problem - 2000accordowner
X Reg 2.0 Honda Accord Executive SE (Auto) 64K Miles

On a Cold start it fast idles at just over 1000RPM (which i gather would be normal to do with an automatic choke)

After about 5 mins driving, once car warms up a bit it does the following:

- when stationary idle stays at 1000RPM, no matter how long been driven for,
while stationary and placed in neutral or park, engine starts to hunt. RPM needle starts to bounce up and down (1000 to 1200) you can feel and hear this through the car.
-while driving, RPM counter hunts between 1000RPm and 1200RPM aprox when decelerating i.e when taking foot off excelerator, in this range the car feels as though it is going to stall.

If i stop and turn the car off and turn it straight back on all is fine. The ref counter at idle sits 500RPM rather than sitting at 1000RPM.

Can anyone offer any advice as to the problem, have just had the timing belts replaced at Honda Dealer. Have had the car at Honda but they couldn't replicate the hunting and as its getting into winter this is happening more often as i am having more cold starts.

Any hints to take to the honda mechanics would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Thought i would provide an update for other owners who may experience similar problem in the future

Past 3 weeks problem has disappeared.

Only thing i have changed is to use the higher octane petrol, which was what the previous owner used (and i think the manual says to use higher octane, but would need to double check), On purchase i put the lower 95 type in, wouldnt of thought this would cause the problem (as understood all the lower fuel type did was lower performance). since refilling the tank with the higher octane fule, have not had the problem again and there have been some very cold starts of late.

Either it was the petrol all along or may be the engaine management sysytem sorted itself out.

Who knows, touch wood problem is sorted for now.

Cheers

mmm the problem is still there, think the higher octane petrol may have just masked the problem. Still encounter the above problem when it is lower than 3 drgrees celius on the first start,

checked the manual it should run fine on 95 octane petrol to.
00 2.0 Cold Start Fast Idle Problem - mrdunkleysexy
Just thought i'd duplicate this post to this reply:--

I hope you got your problem sorted but if not it is the Idle Control Valve (stepper valve) that requires changing

I had the same problem with my car, vehicle not holding revs and engine feeling like it was going to stall when stationary

Luckliy I have a good garage I goto and my mechanic diagnosed my problem and saved me a lot of money

Its a common problem with honda accord vehicle. I rang me local Honda dealer for the part and was quoted £300 + vat so i went the breakers route and picked one up for £60 from a reputable Honda breaker

The part has been fitted now and my car drives perfect

Having put up with the issue for the past few years finally has been sorted out when i took the car to another Honda Dealership as it was getting more common.

As mentioned by the above comment ended up being a faulty air control valve - fault code P1519 INLET AIR CONTROL CICRCUT FAILURE. Part was expensive at £334 + VAT!

But issue is now sorted