What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
97 1.3 vehicle immobiliser - herodot
My daffy sister in law lost the keys for her ford fiesta, she then got a new steering lock assembly from a scrap yard,which I fitted. However although everything else works. the key will not start the engine.I think its because the new key does not match the vehicles vehicle immobilisation coil fitted around the lock barrel. Does anyone know how to overcome this without having to pay the £200+ she was quoted by a ford dealer to recode the key.
97 1.3 vehicle immobiliser - jc2
How does she lock/unlock the car?-or did you change those locks as well.
97 1.3 vehicle immobiliser - herodot
Yes all of the locks, she
only had one key as its second hand.
Thanks
97 1.3 vehicle immobiliser - John S
Difficult to get round this - and it's the car ECU that needs coding to accept the key, not vice versa.

I can only suggest trying another dealer - £200 plus to recode the car is silly - or does that include recovering the car to the workshop? Vauxhall dealers take 5 -10 mins to code a new key and I can't believe Fords can be much harder to do.

Given her 'key losing' ability, perhaps buying a spare key and getting the car coded to the two new keys might be an option.

JS
97 1.3 vehicle immobiliser - Screwloose

The dealer's bill would have had to include recovery charges.

Call in a mobile auto-locksmith.