What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car hire - damage - richard price
hired a car from avis paid for the extra damage insurance however, a £100.00 excess remained (as apposed to £600.00) stone thrown up by lorry on the M27 very top right hand corner of screen caused small starburst - cost me £100.00 - beware.
Re: Car hire - damage - David Stone
thanks for the tiprichard price wrote:
Re: Car hire - damage - honest john
It's the same everywhere in the World. Even in Bali where you pay more than the cost of the hire for the insurance but still get his with a $100 excess.

HJ
Re: Car hire - damage CDW/LDW - Stuart Bruce
If I can also add a small cautionary tale, there is a difference between CDW as in Collision Damage Waiver and LDW (Loss etc)

If the car gets a prang so it cannot be hired, CDW pays for the damage to be repaired minus the XS as above, but does not pay for the hire companies loss of earnings as the fleet is now down one motor. LDW covers both. You should not fall foul if hiring from the big companies but there are some little firms hiring out there where you need a microscope to read the terms & conditions. Just what you need after a long flight!
Re: Car hire - damage CDW/LDW - simon
forewarned is forearmed,LDW it is, thank you Stuart.
saxton
Re: Car hire - damage CDW/LDW - Mike Jacobs
Why do people hire cars from hire car companies who then rip well meanng and responsible people off by saying that they have damaged their vehicles (when they clearly haven't), despite the fact that such companies have been targeted by programmes like BBC Watchdog. It beats me. These people running these companies should be chucked out on their ear and never be allowed to trade again. My advice is to hire from a decent company like Herz who seem to behave with honesty and integrity and always have decent vehicles.
Re: Car hire - damage CDW/LDW - Nigel
More on the "Damage whilst you rented the car, sir" scam.

Check the "Vehicle Condition Report" very carefully before countersigning. If the lot is dark insist an employee of the rental company joins you on a look round with a torch to look at the damage declared and the damage that isn't. Ignore the comments about "trivial" damage and have all blemishes recorded on the form.

I have recently had a run in with one of the majors who tried to hang a significant ding on a door onto me. The car was fine when I dropped the keys into the box - who knows what happened thereafter.

My favourite rental lot is at Stansted Airport, where you have to walk back a good half mile to alert staff at the rental counter in the terminal.

Let the renter beware!