What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - tawse
A SWANSEA man claims he has been left with a £2,000-plus bill after his car was filled with contaminated fuel at a Tesco filling station.

Peter York says he is furious after filling his Ford Focus with diesel at the Tesco petrol station at Fforestfach on August 17.

Full story:

tinyurl.com/4auzfs

Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Mapmaker
Just the reason why correct grammar is so important. The meaning of this thread is completely different to that suggested by the title.
It is a hack reporter title in a local rag.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Cliff Pope
Just the reason why correct grammar is so important. The meaning of this thread is
completely different to that suggested by the title.

I had a picture of a crowd of hyperactive teachers (note plural) suffering from Increased Aggression Syndrone, their condition aggravated by sniffing contaminated fuel behind the bike shed.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Altea Ego
1/ Its a play on words - quite clever I thought.
2/ You have to be an idiot to think any other kind of meaning into it. Any normal person would make an intelligent assessment of the headline and come to the correct conclusion.
3/ to complain about the headline grammar and not to comment on the actual body of the story is a typical example of how narrow minded pedantry is contaminating this forum.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - L'escargot
1/ Its a play on words ...

I'm saying nothing.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Big Bad Dave
"The car has been off the road for a month. I'm a supply teacher meaning I travel around, so it has hit me."

How unlucky to use contaminated fuel and then be hit by his car.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - jbif

Credit to "tawse" for pointing out that the error is not his.
1/ Its a play on words - quite clever I thought.

What any comment above has to do with play on words is too clever for me. However, I did notice the incorrect use of the apostrophe in the title and in Alter Ego's first sentence.
3/ .... is a typical example of how narrow minded pedantry is contaminating this forum.

Here is a peace of my mind - the lose use of grammar is enough to make me loose my piece of mind.

This is a Telegraph supported forum, and not funded by The Granuiad [or is it The Grauniad ?].

Here is a peace of my mind - the lose use of grammar is enough
to make me loose my piece of mind.

Its probably no loss then.
Its[sic] probably no loss then

Don't you mean looss (extra "o" needed for it to be consistent with you spelling "lose" as "loose")?

Edited by jbif on 24/09/2008 at 15:17

Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - nortones2
Thought it was "peace of mind"? Or is there a hint of multiple personality.....
Thought it was "peace of mind"? Or is there a hint of multiple personality.....

:-)

peace/piece, lose/loose.

Just a few of the most commonly misspelt words
www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - henry k
2K seems cheap ;-)

Yet another example.
Guess the vehicle and guess the refueler "He looked pretty sheepish." :-))

tinyurl.com/4fax57

"Flushing petrol from the giant car's diesel engine could cost as much as £6,000, according to experts."

This is not

Edited by henry k on 24/09/2008 at 15:27

Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Hamsafar
What rubbish, - a recent tanker visit stirring up debris in the large tanks!

Not only is there a pickup screen in the tank, but a large filter and water trap (just like a car fuel filter but much bigger) in every forecourt pump. What's more, the tankers would deliver to a Tesco almost every day.
www.fps-ss.com/images/water_11.jpg
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Mapmaker
it. Any normal person would make an intelligent assessment of the headline and
come to the correct conclusion.

No. The headline is extremely clear that many teachers have been affected. In reality, it is only one teacher. Quite how you view this as a play on words I have no idea.

The content of the article was so unremarkable as not to be worth remarking on!
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - BobbyG
Going back to the original story:

1. Very strange that only one car has possibly been affected.
2. I would guess factually incorrect re new deliveries of fuel stir up sludge or this would be an issue every time tanks are filled.
3. Was there not a recent issue with Ford blaming contaminated fuel for problems with their TDCi engines until people realised that all over the country this was beginning to be Ford's stock answer for all tdci engine problems.

Me thinks he has had duff information.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Waino
This happened again in our area a couple of months ago and was featured on the local news. Again, the victim was a Ford Focus TDCi.

Are Ford Focus TDCis particularly susceptible to water/debris in the fuel .... are their filtering systems less efficient than other manufacturers/models ..... or, indeed, is this Ford's standard reply to steer folks away from a Ford design fault?
I cant be bothered to reply to this ridiculous pedantry. This is a motoring forum - if you don't like the way the English is spoken go console yourself on the scrabble in Latin forums.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Westpig
this ridiculous pedantry. This is a motoring forum if you don't like the way the English is spoken go console yourself on

>>
seconded
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Pugugly
desino oro.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - Alby Back
desino oro.

Didn't Joe Dolce record the English translation as I recall?

;-)
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - movilogo
From the thread title, I also thought many teachers were affected :)

Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - ifithelps
The headline on the website story has the apostrophe in the right place "teacher's anger" - one teacher is possessed of anger.

The thread title is incorrect.

Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - mlj
It was teachers' in the website story when tawse began the thread. A sub-editor spotted and corrected it I assume.
Thought it was a poor headline anyway - the occupation of the aggrieved motorist is irrelevant to the story, so why include it?

Dodgy diesel costs driver dear - I like a bit of alliteration, meself.
All I did was just cut and pasted the original headline from the newspaper's website to here. Nothing more.

I assume they went back and corrected their own error later on.

As for myself, Life is too short and too precious to angst over such things in a forum such as this.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - David Horn
Any chance he accidentally chucked in some petrol first before he realised and continued filling up with diesel? Sludge in the diesel should have been caught in multiple places before it gets to the injectors.
Contaminated diesel fuels teachers' anger - CGNorwich
I must admit that crossed my mind but that would mean he would be seeking recompense for his own costly error from a company that the public sometimes love to hate and he might believe would not want bad publicity. Surely not.

Edited by CGNorwich on 24/09/2008 at 23:45

Plus he's a teacher, so he's bound to be right.