What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
96P 1.8 Loud Vibration at 2000 revs - donjuan73
Can anyone please shed some light on this problem?
while both accelerating/ decelerating @1800/2000revs the engine bay gives off an awful vibrating sound but only at this rev range. The noise is louder while sat inside of the vehicle. The noise alters when i press the clutch whilst in gear although the noise is just as prominent when parked in neutral.
If I change gear whilst travelling at anything lower or greater than 2000 revs there is no noise
Thank you to everyone in advance for any help with regards to this matter
Stu
(oh just in case it matters the car has the 1.8 zetec engine with plastic inlet manifold and is a cabriolet)

{talking of LOUD, volume in subject header lowered}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/09/2008 at 19:46

96P 1.8 LOUD VIBRATION AT 2000 REVS - Lud
What is a vibrating sound?

Is there any physical feeling of vibration, or is it just a sound? Have you tried opening the bonnet and trying to locate the exact source of the sound?

Edited by Lud on 23/09/2008 at 16:03

96P 1.8 LOUD VIBRATION AT 2000 REVS - donjuan73
I believe the noise t be coming from the back of engine hence why i mentioned the type of manifold and the sound is deep in tone almost as if the exhaust is leaking (which it isn't) I first thought that the dash was loose (which it isn't)
thankyou for your time
96P 1.8 LOUD VIBRATION AT 2000 REVS - gandaulf
could be a loose heat shield if your car has one
96P 1.8 LOUD VIBRATION AT 2000 REVS - Lud
Yes, could be something touching something that it shouldn't. Quite small things can cause quite big noises.

Is it the case though that there is no physical feeling of vibration, and that there is no effect on performance?