What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes ML Range - mikeymay
I have been looking at some 06/56 plate Merc ML's, paricularly the ML320 CDI, SE & Sport.

After a bit of research on the net it seems there are a LOT of very unhappy MB owners but the models that are quoted all seem to be pre 2005 models.

Now my question is this......did MB pull their finger out post 2005 and start to build decent motors again. Also, have the dealers/service centre pulled the same finger out as I can't seem to see many complaints that are recent.

I have test driven a BMW 330d M Sport which was very good but I do like thought of the ML and you seem to get much more car for the same money.

I am aware ML's/4x4 values are dropping like a stone, but if I can get one REALLY cheap......

Anyway, any comments/opinions on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Mercedes ML Range - 659FBE
If I were to be spending my own money on a vehicle, I would not be prepared to give M-B the benefit of the doubt.

Having examined and dismantled some of their offerings from the period of roughly '95 to'00, I have been saddened and astonished to see just how poor their products are - poor steel, useless paint, rust and water traps together with downright silly design. It's this last point which worries me the most as you can't assemble an Engineering team from scratch in no time at all. I would guess that M-B lost a good number of experienced Engineers in the late '90s who were probably despondent at the cost cutting and cruelly technically curtailing "merger" with Chrysler.

The ML is an American offering. Two barge poles at least, I think.

I'm afraid for my money, I would need to see the current generation of M-B vehicles in good nick in 10 years' time - no less in view of their cost.

Buy the BMW.

Considering the cost of the BMW v MB

Trading in a Z4 valued at £14k p/x and have been offered £13k by BMW dealer

BMW 330d is on for £22k. We have suggested that we would be happy to pay £7k for it.

We have talked of test driving the MB and if we like it offering £4k as we have been told ML's values are dropping dramatically so if they are desperate to sell.....

ML is on for £23k so if they give good px of £14k, would it be taking to pink fluffy dice to offer just £4k and if they accepted would you consider that good value?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/09/2008 at 17:40

Mercedes ML Range - 659FBE
No. A bad vehicle is just that at any price and you'll hate it.

Ok, thanks for the advice :-)
Mercedes ML Range - boxsterboy
Is this a new shape ML or one of the last of the old ones?

If it's an old one, they are indeed poor and should be avoided. AT least 2 barge poles, probably more.

The new ones are 'supposed' to be much better but I haven't driven one, so can't say for sure. Certainly they are much better from a showroom scrutiny.
Mercedes ML Range - stunorthants26
I have a customer with a ML320 diesel and they reckon its the best thing since sliced bread as it were. 32mpg aswell which is apparently good. Only demirit I can see is that it is a bit cramped inside for the size of the thing, but no worse than a 3-Series.
Merc customer care however, remains poor apparently.

These cars do appear to be much better built than previous generation ML which was comically bad. Only the door panels are of note as the are made of a hard plastic that wouldnt look outta place in a Perodua and is prone to retaining dirt.

I would prob have the ML over the BMW, if only so you dont look like an estate agent :-)
We have had a look inside 2006 MB (2005 was the new model I believe) and it looks like a decent built quality. Suppose the real test will be when we test drive it and listen out for any rattles and bumps.

The BMW was a damn nice car, nice (if sparce) inside, and a quality drive, but they are 10 a penny on the roads now and since looking at the MB I haven't seen one yet!!!

Any comment specifically on the depreciation would be helpful.

Thanks
Well a diesel is better than a petrol and one would presume, the most economical model will retain the best value - is the 280 more frugal than the 320? Also dont pay much extra for big wheels, make sure its got leather and Im presuming they are all auto nowadays? If not you would want an auto cos nobody will want a manual.

Mercedes ML Range - Bill Payer
Body roll and turbo lag (not a problem in other diesel Mercs) are said to be issues even in the latest ML's.
On the contrary, my customer reckons it is very sharp to drive, far better than his previous ML and RR.