What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Torque steer - smokescreen
Hi,

Seen some great bargains on the market lately with regards to the Astra. The 170ps and 200ps models on 05/55 plates can be picked up for around the £6-7k mark now, in excellent condition. Also there's a few 1.9CDTI 150's showing up too for around the same price range.

Just wondering with this car, is torque steer still an issue with this chassis? Does it only really show its head when your full throttle trying to launch the car from standstill? Looks to be a good car otherwise.

Thanks
Torque steer - davidh
No / very little torque steer in my experience with the 150 CDTI - I didnt know they had issues. Pretty docile - the ESP light rarely flashes. Handles well, quite firm ride.
Torque steer - Rickster
I've got the 1.6T SRi (178bhp) and notice very little torque-steer - I think it's just the VXR that has the problems. I'd recommend the 1.6T over the older 2.0T as its got loads of power/torque yet will return still return 35+ mpg in daily use (and 40ish on a 60mph run), and emissions are only 185g/km too. Motorpoint has had 07 reg 1.6T SRi's for £8k lately with under 5K miles (mine came from there a couple of months back at £9k for a 57 reg with 3.5k miles)
I think your right Rickster, I suspect I'm thinking VXR 240ps = torque steer hence the quesiton to begin with.

Just out of interest, is motorpoint's website motorpoint.co.uk ? If so, cant see any 1.6T/2.0T's in stock on their website.

Thanks for the feedback so far, very much appreciated.
Just had a quick look, found one 1.6T 07 plate SRI with 5k miles for £8k.

However the insurance is a heck of a lot more than the 55 plate 200PS SRI - £900 vs £480... needless to say, I dont understand the rationale behind that!
Torque steer - De Smythe
I have the 200ps turbo and torque steer can be provoked if driven hard but the ESP will cut-in if you overcook it. I have achieved this twice: once to test if the ESP worked and another by accident when pulling away (very) hard on a hill. Day to day driving including any enthusiastic acceleration should not produce any torque steer.

Engine has tremendous low/mid-range pull and car itself is a real "sleeper" that, if the mood takes you, can produce many quizzical/frustrated looks in rear view mirrors of more premium machinery as the drivers wonder why they cannot shake a lowly Astra from their tail. The only giveaway externally is the small red "turbo" badge on the boot to distinguish it from the 170ps version. Many VX dealers don't even know the car exists, let alone the general public, so it is generally goes below the radar and almost a bit of an oddity. Only 2000 were produced too and many are high spec with leather, sat nav, adaptive lights etc. Prices are all over the place with up to £1,500 differential for the same age/spec car but as with many other performance cars the prices have nosedived of late.

You may also note that most advertised cars are reasonably low mileage and that is possibly influenced by the fuel consumption. I've just completed an 860 mile round trip and achieved average of 36.6 mpg but that was a steady 65-70 mph like I had eggshells on the loud pedal and not at all in keeping with how the car is "supposed" to be driven. Driven in any other style it will generally do no more that 25 mpg.
Precisely one of the reasons I'd like one, is the total sleeper look. Nobody would guess, and it certainly shows in the insurance premiums too.

I will admit I am suspicious about the <10k mileage 1.6T's but i'll certainly give it a look over first.

First thing I'll be doing is removing the red turbo badge when I get one. My mileage has dropped a lot lately, so I could happily live with 25mpg.

Just out of interest, what kind of mpg could you get if you cruise at 75~ for a good long trip?

Edited by smokescreen on 06/09/2008 at 21:35

Torque steer - De Smythe
Just out of interest what kind of mpg could you get if you cruise at
75~ for a good long trip?

Best mpg I've had on an uninterrupted long run from East Kent to Suffolk (250 miles in total) at around 75 mph was 40.7 and I was well chuffed with that!

Concerning the group 16 insurance I pay a not unreasonable £370 per year with £200 excess from a major name company. I'm 38 with maximum NCB.

I did test a 1.6T and at risk of being flamed by other owners the similar on-paper figures don't fully translate to the road. The 2.0T lump is smoother, maintains turbo boost higher up the rev range and generally has more "go" than the 1.6T. It's not leagues ahead but enough to be immediately noticeable on a back-to-back comparison.

However, do be aware that the 2.0T will be £300 VED from next year...

Overall I say buy one and enjoy though.
Even with £300 VED vs the 1.6T's £260 VED, as mentioned earlier for some strange reason unknown it was £420 for the year more to insure the 1.6T so it would be a no brainer.

Wouldnt be suprised regarding performance, the 1.6T produces 230nm of torque vs the 2.0T's 260nm.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I could live with 40mpg at a 75mh cruise.

Edited by smokescreen on 06/09/2008 at 22:32

Torque steer - cheddar
The first 2.0s were 170bhp and were replaced by the 1.6T? And the 200 was only produced for a couple of years IIRC.
Torque steer - Rickster
I'd have probably bought the 200bhp 2.0T if I could have found one at the right price (they're pretty rare - couldn't even find one to test drive!) - my earlier post was based on the 170bhp version which I found rather disappointing compared to the 1.6T, certainly more so than the half second difference in 0-60 suggests. The £300 VED didn't bother me too much although I'm rather concerned anything over 200g/km will be the government's next cash-cow - so it'll probably be £400+ before long. Regarding torque figures, don't forget that the 1.6T's 230NM is available from 1980-5500rpm and it has a an overboost which gives 265NM on full throttle, though (sadly!) for just 5 secs.
Torque steer - davidh
Or, you could get the 150 diesel, put a tuning box on it and hey presto you'd get 200 bhp and over 300 lbf torque!

45 mpg still and low VED too. Tuning boxes or a remap will be 250-300 pounds.
No to tuning boxes!!! A lot of Fiat JTD (same engine) owners have done the same to find their common rail cracking over time costing them loads. A proper remap is far better, doesnt just focus on upping the rail pressure.

Speaking to the guy who did my previous remap (who air on the side of caution rather than full out aggressiveness), 200bhp is a remap that is on the edge of the engine, 185bhp is a much safer target. Still leaves me with a common rail engine that could be a potential nightmare should it break.

As for 200bhp in diesel form for this chassis, not so sure. To get 200bhp at 4k rpm means a lot of torque, which I fear will exasperate the current chassis setup. I've read some feedback for Astra 888 owners (they come as 200bhp diesels as standard) who also comment on horrendous torque steer when at full throttle.

Cheers for the suggestion, but I've already looked into it :-(