What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rev counter, what use? - Stu
Given that most cars are now fitted with rev counters, can anyone explain if/how they actually use theirs in day to day driving? Am I missing something?
Re: Rev counter, what use? - Andrew Barnes
I use mine all the time, I rely on it. It helps me drive economically and stops me overrevving when accelerating quickly.

Andrew
Re: Rev counter, what use? - Nick Ireland
I understand that the most economical way to drive a car, for steady speed at least, is to use the RPM which gives maximum torque. In a petrol engine car this can be a quite specific RPM, unlike a diesel with a broad torque band. If you can find, from the tech section of the handbook, what this rpm is you can then drive at it and save some money!
Re: Rev counter, what use? - Mike Holland
I use mine to when starting off from cold. I try not to exceed 3000 rpm until coolant is at normal working temperature.
Re: Rev counter, what use? - DIesel Dave
Hello There Stu,

I use mine to ensure I have enough power availible for overtaking etc, and to decide when to change gear and so forth, once you have owned a car with a revcounter you'll be lost without it, it's more important with modern turbodiesels because of the narrow power band - between 2-4000 rpm, and the abrupt way the engine dies if you try to over rev it.

If you buy a new Fiat Punto, these don't have a revcounter on the cheapest models
Re: Rev counter, what use? - Stuart Bruce
DIesel Dave wrote:
> I use mine to ensure I have enough power availible for
> overtaking etc, and to decide when to change gear and so
> forth,

Quite true, and its even more important for those of us who drive lots of different cars.

I generally drive a turbo diesel which is at its best and most efficient at 2000-3000 but then if I jump into say a petrol rental car, and try and drive it the same way as the diesel the overriding impression is "aren't petrol cars crap and gutless." But if you actually take note of how the petrol car performs then you can adjust your driving style much more rapidly and begin to make better use and improve your progress. Equally there are some petrol cars where I have been surprised just how flexible and torquey the engine is and so the driving style adjusts again.

Likewise, and probably a bit more important, if a petrol driver jumping into a diesel actually used the rev counter and a bit of intelligence they would quickly realise that if they stopped revving the nuts off it then its another kettle of fish, and probably explains why the petrol vs diesel debate will go on forever.

I don't wish to open up the diesel vs petrol debate yet again and realise there is a danger of that with the above comments, but as you probably realise, the jury, in my case at least, is still saying its "Horses for courses"
Re: Rev counter, what use? - Ian Cook
I generaly agree about the rev counter with turbo diesels, especially when towing (now don't you lot start on about caravans, or we'll be here until Nelson gets his eye back!).

It's the lower rev limit on hills (i.e. the change down point) which I find important, especially on those never ending motorway inclines.
Re: Rev counter, what use? - Darcy Kitchin
Do I detect the potential of a bit of anti-caravan feeling here?
Re: Rev counter, what use? - Dave L
I use mine to tell me when to change up a gear when the needle hits the red bit
Rev counter, what abuse? - David Woollard
Dave L and Andrew,

Just hope I don't end up with one of your old cars! Still I expect they're not diesels anyway.

David
Re: Rev counter, what abuse? - David Lacey
DW - only joking! Most of the cars that I have owned have been diesels and the rev counter is of some use with these engines, due to the narrow power band, as stated before. I would like to think that I am a sympathetic driver, always allowing the engine to reach operating temperature before loading it excessively or using high revs.
Re: Rev counter, what abuse? - John Slaughter
I always thought that the rev limiter gave the indication that you should change up - am I wrong??

Cheers

John
Valve bounce and conrod throwing. - David Woollard
In the old days of the Mk1 Cortina, Herald etc there was no need for the rev counter. Maximum revs were indicated by that unique sound and feel of the valves bouncing, sometimes shortly followed by a con-rod punching through the crankcase.

I experienced this full set of circumstances with my Triumph 1500 on a maximum speed motorway dash many years ago. I missed the warning signs as my 4w per channel Phillips stereo blasted (?) out Dana. No Britney Spears to keep us all going then!

You younger guys don't appreciate just how much engines have come on such that the red line can be used with a fair degree of reliability now.

I bet John S knows the valve bounce sound well from summer days burning round in the Morris Minor.

On a serious note I do agree that diesels benefit from a rev counter these days almost more than petrol engines, I just regard them as a useful part of the instrument set to monitor the engine. I would also love to have a full set with turbo boost gauge, oil pressure and proper water temp gauge (missing on some modern cars). But I suppose that takes us back to the Mk 1 Cortina, a Saturday trip to Halfords and set of 2" dials in a dash-top pod.

Heady days.

David
Re: Valve bounce and conrod throwing. - John Slaughter
David

You're just too perceptive! Yes I once had a mk1 Cortina - originally a 1200 later a tweaked 1500GT, with the 51/2 wheels, Lotus diff, Gt suspension etc. Apart from the wheels looked standard so was a hoot at the lights.

And, yes I have met valve bounce once or twice, but in those days as you'll know a head-off job was (a) easy and (b) regular so it was in with the Terrys extra strong springs at the first opportunity. That soon sorted it out! Rarely get the Minor to valve bounce though - again a rebuilt unleaded head with the stronger springs.

Yes you're right - the reliability of modern engines is incredible compared to those of yesteryear. Then, as you say, the additional dials were useful - the oil pressure gauge showed when the oil was overheating or getting past it for example.

In some ways it's gone so far that way that maintenance is in danger of becoming ignored - so few owners actually read the manual (not contributors here, of course) that regular servicing with its safety aspects can be forgotten. You no longer get the performance drop off and poor starting as the points close up or the plug gaps get too wide to remind you that some checks might be a good idea. It's not helped by the huge servicing intervals either - many people ignore the 'or once a year' bit and have you seen the Peugeot handbook with pages about engine oil relating to their 20k service interval? I guarantee 95% of owners will have given up before they've read a page or two.

To get back to the main topic - It's interesting how the tacho has now become a virtuall standard item, whereas othe dials have gone, but I agree it can be useful, especially if you're aware of the maximum torque revs for example - as has been mentioned this generally gives the best balance of power and economy. I was impressed that my daughter's driving instructor actually taught her to use the tacho as a driving aid - excellent!

Cheers

John
Re: Valve bounce and conrod throwing. - graeme clark
Dave, i thought i was an old fart.?

I remember the days when the "radio" had valves in them and if you sat with the engine off and the radio on for to long the battery would go flat. thats when the young lady with you had to get out and push start you...
Re: Valve bounce and conrod throwing. - John Slaughter
No, sorry I don't! Damn cheek - not that old y'know!! Just started driving very young.

cheers

john
Valve radios and MK1 Cortinas. - David Woollard
Nostalgia...don't get me started.

My wife's first car, after giving up the leathers and large motorcycles, was a 1500cc Mk1 Cortina. It was standard apart from a metallic purple re-spray, large tyres and a leather steering wheel. Who needed engine tuning with those mods! I remember painting the red seats, which matched with the original white paint, black with trim paint. The fumes from that stuff would qualify for a full industrial extractor and filter system these days. A trip on every trip if you see what I mean.

I remember Grandad's Jaguar having a valve radio, it might have had a separate power pack under the seat. We borrowed that car all one summer while he was in hospital and Mum looking after his home. When it was obvious he no longer needed a car we arranged for the local garage to take it. They duly turned up with a tow truck for the short journey to the workshop, our faith in the old car was a little shaken when they pulled away, the car stayed static with just the front crossmember being towed up the road.

Thankfully they don't make them like that any more.

David
Loud Stereos - Guy Lacey
My rev counter enables me to "hear" using my eyes what the engine is doing as I parade my mota up and down the seafront of Weston-Super-Mare with my stereo on full bore to annoy carrot cake eating pensioners.

- please see earlier thread.
Re: Old farts and nostalgia - Stuart Bruce
Seeing as we old farts are on a nostalgia trip, who can forget (or maybe that should be forgive) the 100E vacuum wipers. Used to thrash themselves into a lather standing at the lights, and then stop as soon as you trod on the gas. Bet Uncle Henry was proud of that bit of design. First of many from the Ministry of Cr*p Designs.

Finally apropos of absolutely nothing, stop me if you've heard it.

Is a skid pan instructor the only true spin doctor?
Re: Old farts and nostalgia - graeme clark
Remember the floor mounted starer button on the minis, and the original 850cc mini with the gear change leaver that over the years would wear to the point that when you selected first you could on a bad day smash the speedo glass....
Vacuum wipers. - David Woollard
Stuart,

Yes so when overtaking in the rain with oncoming traffic you could keep your foot down and see nothing or let off for a moment and actually see the truck bearing down on you as the wipers wizzed into action.

Actually daft to overtake in a 100E anyway.

Perhaps we should have a new old f-rts nostalgia thread. I bet Stu with the first post on rev counters wonders how the devil we arrived at vacuum wipers!

David
Re: Vacuum wipers. - Brian
My parents first car was an E93A Ford Anglia with vacuum wipers and no heater. Hot water bottles and blankets were a must for a winter outing and, as you say, no wipers going up hill or overtaking. Plus having to put your hand out of the window to unstick the semaphor indicators.
Ah - those were the days !