What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 2.0TDi will start when cold but not when hot - gleneaskey
Hi, my Mondeo 2.0 TDi Zetec wouldn't start and a mechanic discovered that the lift pump was missing! A previous owner had the diesel piped direct to the injection pump and it seemed to work fine until it let me down.
I got a new lift pump fitted but now the car starts when the engine's cold but if I turn it off after about 10 mins running then it won't start! I have to leave it for a few hours and then it will start, several times no problem. It runs perfect and tickes over perfect but if turned off after a while running thats it!
Can anyone please help me?

Glen

Edited by Webmaster on 27/08/2008 at 02:10

2001 2.0TDi will start when cold but not when hot - Screwloose

Very few of the TDDis had a lift pump fitted. Most had a suction pump in the injection pump instead - if yours was running, it must have that system. [D5BA engine?]

When it's not starting; are the cam and crank signals registering in live-data?

What fault-codes were stored?
2001 2.0TDi will start when cold but not when hot - cheddar
I thought that TDDis have a lift pump though TDCis dont?

2001 2.0TDi will start when cold but not when hot - spikeyhead {p}
I thought that TDDis have a lift pump though TDCis dont?

If only life were that simple, but Ford have managed just about every imaginable configuration.
2001 2.0TDi will start when cold but not when hot - Screwloose
cheddar

TDCi's dont; only some TDDi's do. [The D6BA engine]

Don't ask me what the difference, or the reason, is - I just work with what's in front of me....
2001 2.0TDi will start when cold but not when hot - gleneaskey
Hi Screwloose, cheddar and spikeyhead, thanks for getting back to me.

I left the car into a garage this evening and they will check the codes tomorrow and I'll let you know. My mechanic friend found the casing of the pump attached just to the front of the back wheel, drivers side. When he opened it it was empty. He replaced it and now I have this other problem. The fuel gauge is not working since he did it, we checked all fuses under the bonnet and under the dash (behind the junk pocket) and all seem ok!