00 2.0T- Removal of alternator S fuse with ign on. - pleiades
During some wiring fault tracing I inadvertently removed the underbonnet 10A "ALT/S" fuse which probably not a good idea when the ignition was on altho' engine not running. On replacing same there was a distinct click from I think the boost solenoid control area . Car seems to be running ok and no CEL's but for my future general knowledge is there a capacitator or similar in the alternator which could cause a surge of current when removing/replacing the said fuse which could damage the ecu or other components particularly if the ignition is on?
Tks

Edited by Pugugly on 24/08/2008 at 11:24

2000 2.0 Turb Removal of Alternator S fuse with ig - Screwloose

Shouldn't cause any problems - could have been the system doing a power-on self-test.
2000 2.0 Turb Removal of Alternator S fuse with ig - pleiades
Tks Screwloose thats reassuring altho' I'm not sure what the alternator sense wire actually does? These older Subarus have two green connectors under the dash which when plugged together/ ignition on/engine off perform a self test which very exciting with both fans coming on/going off and various things clicking! There are also a pair of black connectors which together with the green ones apparently can be used to read off error codes by counting a sort of morse code flashing of the CEL light and also if required reset the ecu back to factory settings (I've never been brave enough to try them out)

2000 2.0 Turb Removal of Alternator S fuse with ig - Screwloose

Flash codes are easy to access and often useful - if there are any...