VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Paul G
Hi I've just bought an N -reg 1996 1.4L Polo with 28000 (genuine) miles on the clock, the bodywork is in great condition, the engine bay is clean and there are no visible oil leaks etc. Also it seems to drive very smoothly, with no strange noises and the gearchange is fine. The only problem is that it has no proven service history since about 1997/8 - the last service I know about was at 10000 miles. Now I'm pretty sure its *has* been serviced, or at least had the oil changed etc., but I really don't know what else has been done.

What should work should I have done on the car to bring it to the level of servicing that it should've had at this age and mileage?

I was thinking along the lines of:

1. Change Oil + filter
2. Replace air filter
3. Check disc pads alround, change if necessary (esp. front)
4. Check gearbox oil (or replace anyway?)
5. Change sparkplugs
6. change Pollen filter
7. Flush radiator and engine block, fill with G11 or G12 (my preference for longer-life) VW-approved coolant
8. Replace brake fluid
9. Check cambelt, replace even if only slightly worn

Does this look reasonable? Is there anything else I should get checked and/or replaced?

cheers

Paul
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Emerson Fittipaldi
Paul, If your not sure it's been serviced since 10,000 miles, I would carry out a full service (very much like what you have stated above) in accordance with your Service booklet for the next 'full' service after 28k, not an interim. If your service booklet does not outline what needs to be done for a 'Full service', i'm sure your local VW dealer should be able to put you right. Otherwise your list above looks reasonable, appart from (9) Probably excesive to replace it at 28k but check condition anyway.
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Flat in Fifth
"Otherwise your list above looks reasonable, apart from (9) Probably excesive to replace it at 28k but check condition anyway."

I don't know if the Polo engine is an interference engine or not but cambelt changes should not just go on mileage alone.

Age is also a big factor, hardening of the material, plus think of all those cold starts in the past etc.

I would strongly recommend changing it regardless, peace of mind.

Also you don't mention tyres. I would guess the rears are the originals? Might be worth a consideration to have a very very close look eg cracks in sidewalls. Might be a bit early bet but it won't hurt IMHO.
>I don't know if the Polo engine is an interference engine or >not

Its a single overhead cam engine - does that help?

> but cambelt changes should not just go on mileage alone.
>
>Age is also a big factor, hardening of the material, plus >think of all those cold starts in the past etc.
>
>I would strongly recommend changing it regardless, peace of >mind.

I'm leaning towards that view - I assume failure at speed would results in expensive repairs being required...

>Also you don't mention tyres. I would guess the rears are the >originals? Might be worth a consideration to have a very very >close look eg cracks in sidewalls. Might be a bit early bet >but it won't hurt IMHO

Good point, I think the front tyres look new-ish, but I'm pretty sure the rears are original
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Prolly worth a new cam belt after the best part of 8 years...
--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
>Paul, If your not sure it's been serviced since 10,000 miles, >I would carry out a full service (very much like what you have >stated above) in accordance with your Service booklet for the >next 'full' service after 28k, not an interim.

I think that would be the 40000 mile service, the 30000 mile service is, if anything, less thorough than the 20000 mile one, I think. Does that sound like a good idea? I'll check the service information in the service booklet and Haynes tonight

Although the mileage is only 28k, I think it has done mostly short stop-start shopping trips within London (BTW it has had one lady owner from new), so the wear may be higher than one might think (hence my thoughts about the cambelt etc.)

I will probably get the work carried out at a good independent garage who has carried out good and reasonably priced work on mny girlfriend's car. I could probably do most of the work that needs doing myself, but its finding the time...
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - james S
I think you need to be careful when mixing VW coolants. My Haynes says not to get them mixed up or something bad happens. I'd try and fnd out what was used before and stick with that.
>I think you need to be careful when mixing VW coolants. My >Haynes says not to get them mixed up or something bad happens. >I'd try and fnd out what was used before and stick with that.

Well I think it was the G11 coolant, but its possible its been changed for something else (or worse, its been mixed with a different coolant.) So my thoughts were to flush the whole system clean and replace it with the red G12 coolant (which is organic acid based, so the anti-corrosion additives last much longer). I think VW recommend that if the coolant has to be replaced to use the G12 coolant now
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Mike M
I'd also change the gearbox oil - it's a simple job. I did this on SWIMBO's Polo and found the gearbox oil level to be waaay below the correct level. Despite it's full (VW) service history, I wonder whether it had ever been checked.
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Dynamic Dave
SWIMBO's

????????
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Mike M
Sorry, I meant SWMBO. It was one of those days!
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Dynamic Dave
Thought you meant She Who Instantly Must Be Obeyed for a minute.
VW Polo, no service history, what to do? - Boff
Simple - SWIMBO - She Whom I Married But Older
Thought you meant She Who Instantly Must Be Obeyed for a
minute.