What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Beam Deflectors - P.Mason {P}
Having recently acquired a 95 Honda Civic, I need to fit beam deflectors before driving in France. The headlight glass has a (polycarbonate?) cover about an inch in front of the lens, so the deflector can't be positioned accurately. Has anyone a solution? Or do I (as suggested by HJ)just leave the beam adjusted to its lowest position and forget about the deflector?
Regards,
P.
Beam Deflectors - BrianW
The polycarbonate cover is probably an after-market stone guard addition which can be unclipped, the beam adjustor put on the lense, and the stoneguard refitted.
Beam Deflectors - jc
It's been said before;point it at a wall or garage door and play;you need to get rid of the bit of the beam that goes to lower left;sticky tape of any sort will do.
Beam Deflectors - pmh
Personally I have always used Black Tape without problems. However a recent thread suggested that black tape can absorb heat and result in the glass cracking. The suggestion was that manufacturers of the better after market patches use back silvered obscuring patches. I would have thought that this gave rise to internal refections and scattering of light to all sorts of new directions. So I am going to use white tape from now on.
Does anyone have hard experience of glass or reflector failure inspired by use of black tape? or is it a manufacturer scare story?

(As I glance out of window, look at existing Black Tape and keep my fingers crossed).
;)

pmh (was peter)
I've had a second look, and the plastic cover is integral with the headlight casing. Any owners of similar cars out there who've used the tape method without melting or damaging the plastic?- the assembly looks expensive to replace!
P.
Beam Deflectors - Huw
I have asked a couple of main dealer repair centres if they have ever seen headlamps in for replacement as a result of plastic tape burns - the reply was on both occasions 'not yet'. One chap did helpfully suggest that the tape's glue would most likely let go if it got too hot- before polycarb was damaged.

I intend to put yellow tape directly on the polycarb - If nobody has any experience to share I will report back in September when I return.
Beam Deflectors - Armitage Shanks{P}
I think I am right in saying that you want to get of the bit that goes to the UPPER left - after all that is what will dazzle drivers when you are abroad and driving on the right! You will need to put the tape on the lower part of the glass and (cos of the mirror effect of the reflector) that will cut out the upper part of the beam! E&OE!
Beam Deflectors - John S
jc

Like you I've always used black insulating tape. What I believe you meant to say was you need to get rid of the beam which goes to the upper left as viewed from the driving seat - that section which illuminates the left side of the road. The section of lens blanked is usually (but not always before someone shouts!), the lower left as you face the lamp. Worth checking the handbook - some indicate where to apply the blank.

Regards

John S
Beam Deflectors - terryb
As I've said before, I just set the beam to its lowest and I haven't had any problems yet.

If you want to stick something on the lens, what about investing in a pair of beam benders? They don't block the light or hold heat in, just refract it in the "wrong" direction.

Less than a fiver a pair I think.

Terry
Terryb,
Thanks,-I've used the amber beam benders for some years, but I thought that the positioning was critical - I suppose that I could stick them as near as possible to the 'dip' fresnel pattern on the lens, as viewed from directly in front of the headlamp. At least it would 'show willing' to any gendarme!
Many thanks for all your answers.
Regards,
P.
Beam Deflectors - Macker
I used black 'gaffer' tape on the platic lenses of my old Rover 200 when I went abroad. As it was Winter the lights were on most of the time. Unfortunately, when the black tape was removed after the trip it took off a thin layer of the plastic (a bit like onion skin).

Best to buy the proper deflectors and save any possible damage.

Buy cheap, buy twice!
Beam Deflectors - Ian Chandler
Don't use black tape - use ordinary masking tape, the stuff you use when you are painting something. You cut it to cover the little square at the centre of the headlight and the other bit of the lens that points light to the left - the car handbook will often show you what part of the light to mask. It is white so it won't absorb the heat and it stays on perfectly well in wet weather. If some of the sticky stuff stays on the headlight surface when you come to remove the tape, you can get it off with meths or white spirit ...
Beam Deflectors - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I bought a set of the popular beam deflectors to fit on my 2001 Passat ,instead of using the usual duct tape, as it has plastic headlight lenses.
Even with correct fitting , one dropped off in the rain and another one in the heat due to the glue softening.The double sided sticky remained attached to the headlamps in both cases.
When I got home I tried to sponge the remaining glue off (as per instructions) with hot soapy water - it would not budge.
Methylated spirits has shifted it OK after carefully checking for any unwanted solvent action in an unobtrusive area.
So a waste of £6 quid or what?

Anyone been brave enough to try masking/duct tape?
Beam Deflectors - Andy
Glaikit Wee Scunner,

Yes I stick duck tape onto my headlamp protectors when I go to France, that way it's not stuck directly to the lense.