What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Definition of a coupe - Sulphur Man
How are the Scirocco, Brera, Mercedes CLC and even the Passat CC labelled as 'coupe'? My interpretation of a coupe was a two-door saloon with a seperate boot from the cabin, not a hatch. A 3dr Golf is a hatchback, a 3dr Scirocco is a coupe. Eh? It seems anything with a sloping back and a purposeful stance is labelled a "coupe".

Our second car is a Ford Ka 1.3 Collection. From now on, it's a coupe.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 20/08/2008 at 18:14

Definition of a coupe - skorpio
It's whatever the 'marketing men' want you to think it is.

Say Coupe enough times and you've got a coupe.

They can even label the BMW X6 a coupe when everyone knows its just another pointless 4wd gas guzzling Chelsea Tractor/School run bus.

I happen to drive a Peugeot 406 'Shooting Brake'.
Definition of a coupe - BazzaBear {P}
The best example of this was the Hyundai Coupe. They even NAMED it Coupe when it wasn't one.
Definition of a coupe - oldnotbold
Wiki has it right:

A coupé or coupe (from the French verb couper, to cut) is a car body style, the precise definition of which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and over time.
Definition of a coupe - mike hannon
I guess it just means a 'cut' off roofline.
Rover made a 4-door coupe (the P5) and I think Mercedes make one now.
My first Honda Accord was a hatchback with a cut-off roofline and two-doors so I called it a coupe.
There seems to be a weird fashion now for two-door saloons that don't have cut-off rooflines but do have cut-off back windows - Astra and Megane for two. Very ugly.
The Renault Avantime, with almost the opposite of a cut-off roofline, was described by some designer - obviously the day after a good party - as a 'coupespace'. No-one understood what he meant or what it was supposed to be. And the rest is history.
Definition of a coupe - Roger Jones
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=118
Definition of a coupe - welshlad
i think definitions will be stretched and pushed to the limit with new models because of the new legislations involving road tax etc, all manufacturers will want to avoid the traditional labels to avoid scaring off customers worried about being hammer by the government you watch 4 x 4's will become multi drive option vehicles
Definition of a coupe - Stuartli
Suphur Man

You might not think that the Brera is a coupe, but whatever it's tagged it's one beautiful Alfa Romeo...:-)
Definition of a coupe - ndbw
Thought the Alfa 156 was the cleverest,a lowered roof line and concealed rear door handles,the best of all worlds,the looks of a coupe and the convenience of four doors.

ndbw
Definition of a coupe - Marc
Definition of a coupe - Ford Capri
Definition of a coupe - D2*
Capri's a good definition, but personally i'd argue Prelude as the definitive definition!
If we're looking for definitive, I'd go for Fiat Coupe. It's the antithesis of the Hyundai Coupe, in that it's a Coupe called a Coupe.
It's a neat little package to explain the difference:

Here are two cars, both called the Coupe, only one is. Sorted.
Definition of a coupe - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Can someone then explain to me then what my Hyundai Coupe is?

Is it in fact a large 5 door diesel estate?

I thought it was a comfortable two door coupe with plenty of luggage room. Even Aston Martin has built a coupe with a 'hatch'.
Can someone then explain to me then what my Hyundai Coupe is?

Certainly.

It's a hatchback.

You only had to ask. ;)
Definition of a coupe - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The current Hyundai Coupe may have a hatchback but it is still a coupe by all definitions. Coming from a 5 door estate I insist I have now got a coupe- why else would SWMBO think it is stupid, selfish useless etc.?

Definition of a coupe - Alby Back
Bet she likes driving it though !
The current Hyundai Coupe may have a hatchback but it is still a coupe by
all definitions.

By all definitions?

It's not one by my definition.
I prefer to call my Prelude a hard-top sports car...
But then, what's the definition of a sports car?

Edited by mike hannon on 21/08/2008 at 14:52

Definition of a coupe - Lud
1932 Ford Coupe (pronounced 'coop' not 'coupay') had 2 doors and one bench seat in front, and a dicky in the boot, with a step on the rear wing to help people get into it. Not too good in the rain for dicky passengers, but nice looking car the 'deuce coop', much favoured by customisers and drag racers.
Definition of a coupe - Alby Back
I think my Signum ( with its ever so tasteful privacy glass ) looks a bit like a coupe from some angles and in a certain light. Mind you, I like to think I look a bit like George Clooney with the same conditions........

;-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 21/08/2008 at 19:04

Definition of a coupe - krs one
So if a coupe has to have be a 2 door saloon with a seperate boot, what do you call a 2 door saloon?

I went off the BMW 3 series after it stopped being a 2dr saloon and they started to call it a coupe.

I don't have a problem with 3 door coupes (E-type Jag, Porsche 928 for example), but I draw the line with 4 door versions.

Edited by krs one on 21/08/2008 at 19:29

Definition of a coupe - krs one
Re. the Alfa Brera, I think it's a real disappointment, looks good form the front but that's about it. I much prefer the understated looks of the Alfa GT, which by some people's definition is a proper coupe.

This may sound like heresy, but whenever I see a Brera, I always think it looks like an updated version of the AMC Pacer. I'll get me coat...
Definition of a coupe - jase1
From this site:

"Coupe: A fixed roof car with two or four seats, usually with rear head and legroom compromised for styling reasons."

So does that make my old Vauxhall Cavalier a coupe then?
Probably not, but there was a Cavalier coupe once, and pretty, too.
Definition of a coupe - Dynamic Dave
there was a Cavalier coupe once

Wasn't it also known as the Opel Manta?
Could be...