What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A little goes a long way - RobertyBob
I greased Mrs RobertyBob's hinges yesterday... or at least those on her Ford Fiesta. I noticed that my trusty, one pound (weight) tin of Shell Retinex 'A' was down to about 20%.

I must have bought the tin around 1970 to grease the six universal joints in the drive line on my Triumph 2000.

I realise that grease technology will have moved on but the old stuff is good enough for hinges and locks. It must have cost all of 2/6d at the time and will hopefully outlast me.

Do other BRs still use consumables from the quandam days?
A little goes a long way - jag
nothing wrong with retinax a although it has been superceded by retinax lx. best nip out and buy a tin to last the next 30 years. jag.
A little goes a long way - madf
I have a grease gun from 1971 but the grease is only 10 years old. (I also have a set of long grease nipples for a Triumph 2.5PI propshaft if anyone wants them!)

I have a tube of red Hermatite dating to 1973..
A little goes a long way - cheddar
Got some old Duckhams grease circa late 70's and a big can of Waxoyl circa early 80's that get lots of use and is still 40% full.
A little goes a long way - cheddar
Got some old Duckhams grease circa late 70's >>

I have had a look, it is LB10, anyone know anything about it?
A little goes a long way - billy25
>>six universal joints in the drive line on my Triumph 2000.<<

I can only remember 4 on mine! - one each end of the prop-shaft, and one at the Diff-end of each half-shaft, just out of curiosity where were the other two?

Billy
A little goes a long way - Lud
where were the other
two?

>>

At the outer ends of the driveshafts.
A little goes a long way - RobertyBob
Yup. At least that's what I remember from over 30 year's ago: two on the prop shaft and two on each half-shaft.

A little goes a long way - billy25
Hmm! - thats torn it! i'm not sure now if i had bad eyesight at 18 or if i've got bad memory now!

however, thanks for clearing that up!

Billy