What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Doctor's car stolen as she attends emergency - Nsar
At the risk of sounding like a Daily Mail reader....this person is just scum.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1062514_doc...t

Edited by Pugugly on 14/08/2008 at 18:24

Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - bhoy wonder
There not a lot I can say that has not already been said and as jail does not work. Then the only option left is to remove an eye and if you steal a car again then remove the other one. Should concentrate the mind.
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Lud
bw: tempting no doubt, but where 'the dregs of society' are involved miscarriages of justice are not unknown. It is an environment where lying, sometimes successful, is more or less the norm.

That is why, in a civilised society, no one wants to be responsible for taking Old Testament-style vengeance on mere toerags. After all one toerag looks much like another... what do you end up with, latin-American style death squads of offduty cops cleaning up the slums by murdering homeless teenagers?
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - bhoy wonder
Simple then, like you I have seen loads of police car chases where the thief is clearly identifiable. No reason why you cannot remove their eye/eyes.

I do not believe that in Britain today that we life in a civilised society when the scum of the earth and lazy good for nothing layabouts are treated with more respect than me.
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Screwloose
It is an environment where lying, sometimes successful, is more or less the norm.

That's no way to describe the legal profession......
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Roly93
I'm a Times reader and I would say sub-human scum myself !
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Optimist
pink fluffy dice

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/08/2008 at 20:00

Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Optimist
You may not have liked the words I carefully asterisked out but there was nothing wrong with the sentiment and it was a lot milder than what is being said by others on this thread.

In essence I said that people did things such as stealing the doctor's car while she was trying to help someone out because their role models are inadequate.

What's wrong with that?

Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - jbif
What's wrong with that?

I think you will find it in the site's rules, in other words "zero tolerance".

Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Jonathan {p}
Well I'm a Guardian reader and I say he is clearly a misunderstood, unhugged boy who deserves an African safari and free driving lessons!
(tongue firmly in cheek)
Sorry chaps, but some of you are missing the point here. The rule of law is preferable to mob vengeance at least partly because it is less likely to kill or mutilate an innocent party by mistake. It was the fact that it still did so accidentally from time to time that caused us, perhaps squeamishly, to abandon torture and the death penalty.

Someone suspected of a heinous crime - not the mere theft of a well-paid person's car! - and fitted up by the police was given huge damages in court yesterday. If the sort of expeditious justice being recommended here prevailed in this country, he would probably be dead and the real miscreant (we hope this time) would not be awaiting trial.

Edited by Lud on 14/08/2008 at 16:36

Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Pugugly
You're right Lud - I would be truly scared of being brought up before a People's Court comprising of certain Backroom readers !
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - GJD
Sorry chaps but some of you are missing the point here. The rule of law
is preferable to mob vengeance at least partly because it is less likely to kill
or mutilate an innocent party by mistake.

Hardly partly. Unless you care about avoiding punishing an innocent person, there's no need for the rule of law or a justice system at all. It's only purpose is to protect the innocent.

I would give a nod to its supposed other purpose too - ensuring that all the guilty are treated equally (something else that mob vengeance doesn't achieve) - but with the "death by careless driving" nonsense coming into effect today it's clear that that objective is no longer considered important by our incompetent, muddle-headed leaders (or perhaps they are just too stupid to understand).
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - b308
- but with
the "death by careless driving" nonsense coming into effect today it's clear that that objective
is no longer considered important

I don't understand what is so controvertial about asking people to actually do what they are supposed to be doing when driving - ie concentrating on the road and their driving - and not doing other things such as reading maps, having a drink, etc....

If they want to act like they are sat in their armchair at home then they should go by train....
- but with
>> the "death by careless driving" nonsense coming into effect today it's clear that that
objective
>> is no longer considered important
I don't understand what is so controvertial about asking people to actually do what they
are supposed to be doing when driving

Nothing at all. The nonsense is the "causing death by" part. The consequence is irrelevant. If I drive around town reading my map instead of looking where I am going, I am being stupid and irresponsible. Let's suppose you do the same. We both knock down a pedestrian we didn't see (because we weren't looking). Your pedestrian is elderly and frail and dies. My pedestrian is young and fit and doesn't die. I have been no less stupid than you, no less irresponsible than you, just a bit luckier. And yet the maximum punishment available for me is less than it is for you. The law (now) even regards us as having committed different offences. If you take consequences into account, the only basis on which to differentiate my offence and your offence is luck. That is not controversial, it is utterly nonsensical.

When I decided not to pay attention there was no way I could predict or control whether my victim would be young, fit and resilient or elderly and frial. Therefore, my luck in that regard should play no part in my treatment by law.

To be clear, I make no comment on whether jail is appropriate or not for such an offence. Before discussing the second question - what punishment is appropriate - you need to answer the first question - to whom will the punishment will apply. At the moment, the answer society has settled on for the first question is so preposterous that there is no point asking the second question.
Your pedestrian is elderly and
frail and dies. My pedestrian is young and fit and doesn't die. I have been
no less stupid than you no less irresponsible than you just a bit luckier. And
yet the maximum punishment available for me is less than it is for you. The
law (now) even regards us as having committed different offences. If you take consequences into
account the only basis on which to differentiate my offence and your offence is luck.
That is not controversial it is utterly nonsensical.

So are you saying that we should be both treated the same way and punished the same.... I agree! We both knew what the consequenses were, so should be treated the same way regardless... so jail for both of us, then....
So are you saying that we should be both treated the same way and punished
the same....

Yes. As should the person who didn't even hit a pedestrian but who drove around looking at the map instead of the road with no way to be sure that there wasn't a pedestrian there. It's still the same offence, just different in its outcome - and only different in ways that the driver had no ability to predict or control once the irresponsible act of not paying attention had been committed.
so jail for both of us then....

Well, as I said, what is an appropriate punishment is an entirely separate question, but if jail is deemed appropriate for you then it is appropriate for me too, and for the driver I just described, who is no different apart from having better luck than either of us. On the other hand, you could argue that being distracted by the map is an inevitable occasional consequence of using a car to get from A to an unfmailiar B and society should accept it as one of the risks of living with cars. So if a stern reprimand from a traffic plod is appropriate for the driver I just described, then it is also appropriate for me with my injured pedestrian and for you with your dead one. Either regime is fine by me.

Of course, it's not like this is a new problem. People fall asleep at the wheel because they are far too tired to drive safely quite regularly, but the punishment they receive, far from being determined by how bad their decision to drive in the first place was, can be based on factors as random and irrelevant as how close the nearest railway line happened to be.
is an inevitable occasional consequence of using a car to get from A
to an unfmailiar B and society should accept it as one of the risks of
living with cars.

Interesting thought - so I wonder where the "personal responsibility for our actions" should come in.... suppose its all about minimising risk and by setting laws which limit speed, signs which dictate what we do (such as one way signs) and punishments we are doing just that... its then a question of setting the punishment at an appropriate level to deter people from breaking the law.... and I think from reading in the papers about people driving when banned I don't think we have got it right in some cases!

Edited by b308 on 15/08/2008 at 17:55

Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Mapmaker
If I drive around town reading my map instead of looking where I am going
I am being stupid and irresponsible. Let's suppose you do the same. We both knock
down a pedestrian we didn't see (because we weren't looking). Your pedestrian is elderly and
frail and dies. My pedestrian is young...

...and a third person drives through the same town, reading his map. The zebra crossing he drives across has nobody on it, so it doesn't matter that he didn't look.

Jail; fine; or scott free?
...and a third person drives through the same town reading his map. The zebra crossing
he drives across has nobody on it so it doesn't matter that he didn't look.
Jail; fine; or scott free?

Exactly the same as the first two drivers. But note that I didn't say anything about whether the first two drivers should get jail, a fine or go free. What I said was that it is nonsensical for the first two drivers not to get the same punishment. And by the same argument it is equally nonsensical for your third driver not to get the same punishment as the first two.

Whether any of these three drivers should be treated differently from each other is a question that can be answered entirly by logic (if you accept the premise that luck is not an appropriate metric for determining the severity of an offence).

What level of punishment is appropriate, once it is understood that it should apply to all careless drivers regardless of the consequeces of their actions, can not be determined by logic and should be debated by society.
>>Whether any of these three drivers should be treated differently from each other is a
>>question that can be answered entirly by logic (if you accept the premise that luck is
>>not an appropriate metric for determining the severity of an offence).

Or, in fact, by the thin skull rule which is a matter of law. If you hit an old man and kill him: jail; a young man and break his leg: fine; nobody: nothing.

Or in fact by the thin skull rule which is a matter of law.

So the thin skull rule (on which I am far from expert) would appear not to accept the premise that luck is not an appropriate metric for determining the severity of an offence. That's fine. If you don't accept a premise then any logic built on that premise is irrelevant. In my opinion intent is important and luck is irrelevant so I do accept the premise.

I am aware that I am describing what I think the law should be, not what it is. After all, away from the world of motoring, by my argument (and in my opinion) there should be no distinction between murder and attempted murder and the concept of (involuntary) manslaughter should not exist in law at all.
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - pendulum
The lack of a proper punishment is a big contributor to crime in this country. There's no deterrent. He knows that he'll just get a community service order if caught - or a few weeks inside at the most if he's done it a few times before. It's a joke really. I have seen a career criminal walk free from court because he was given another community sentence order, allowed out to nick again from another innocent member of the public. Pitiful sentencing and softness on crime is the main reason why I'll never vote Labour again.

It is disgusting that a car is stolen from a doctor tending an emergency. Sometimes people steal from those who have had heart attacks and the like instead of helping them. People can be nasty, but stiff punishments can keep a lot of people in check. If I didn't have morals then I think I'd turn to crime. It can be a high rewards, low risk occupation :o(

Edited by pendulum on 14/08/2008 at 16:33

Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Westpig
bet she's going to have problems claiming on the insurance...because the keys were still in the ignition

can't imagine the call centre for the insurance co. is going to be understanding of the personal circumstances

why don't we ask HJ to start a collection and we all put something in the kitty if this lady is seriously out of pocket, newspapers sometimes do this sort of thing don't they

p.s. Lud... i usually agree with you, but not this time. For the odd Colin Stagg there's a vast army of oiks who get away with it for various reasons and those that are convicted get such ludicrously lenient or meaningless sentences there is no deterrent whatsoever
I am sorry. If we put their eyes out, or chop off their hands, then how are they ever to be rehabilitated into society. These people steal/murder etc. because their lives are essentially worthless; mutilate them and then their lives are completely worthless. Lord knows I am no bleeding heart liberal; my views are generally viewed as being unacceptably right wing (though not too often on this forum, surprisingly).

As this is no longer motoring, should this thread be locked?

The ghastly Stagg quite rightly is being compensated for a miscarriage of justice.
For the odd Colin
Stagg there's a vast army of oiks who

Of course I know, and agree too Wp, there's something skewed and knackered about the justice system and bad people exploit it. And as you say it is beyond a joke.

However the presence of very worthless individuals in a society - and the carphounds have been with us from the year dot - shouldn't be allowed to drive us to extremes we might then regret, or feel ashamed of. We are supposed to cure the brutes, or discourage them from developing that way, without playing, in a sense, their game. That would really be letting them prevail.

But there are times when all you can do is make a disgusted face. Reality, I read today, is being abolished and replaced by pixels and bytes. That rang a bell all right. If you have principles, hold on to them, because a lot of things conspire to dissolve them.
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Westpig
- shouldn't be allowed to drive us to extremes we might then regret or feel ashamed of. We are supposed to cure the brutes or discourage them from developing that way without playing in a sense their game. That would really be letting them prevail.

good point...well presented...:-)
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - ifithelps
Were I putting in the insurance claim, I might include a copy or two of the press reports 'for information'.

After all, would you want to be the insurance company that refused to pay the kind-hearted doctor who stopped to help the pensioner.

Or much more to the point, would you want to appear in the Daily Mail as the insurance company that refused to pay etc etc.

Edited by ifithelps on 14/08/2008 at 19:59

Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - FotheringtonThomas
bet she's going to have problems claiming on the insurance...because the keys
were still in the ignition

I should hope not. In such an emergency, ensuring I removed the keys before giving assistance would not be my priority.
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - welshlad
securing your vehicle comes under the securing the area....first rule of first aid.......'first do no harm' means not jumping into a situation like some demented superhero with out fully securing and assessing the situation, and surely pulling over at an accident and securing your vehicle whilst making sure it doesnt present an obstacle or hazard is number one on the list
Doctor's Car Stolen as She Attends Emergency - Statistical outlier
bet she's going to have problems claiming on the insurance...because the keys were still in
the ignition

I would hope that it would be covered by the same exemption as is found in all travel insurance policies. Normally you have to take reasonable care and not deliberately put yourself in danger. If you're trying to save a life, all bets are off and you can do what you like and still be covered.
Doctor's car stolen as she attends emergency - L'escargot
Not as bad as someone who beats up an old lady, and countless other crimes upon the person.