What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.3 rattling - bagpussandco
Hi Guys,

I've got a 03 KA (bought new) and in the last few months it's developed a rattling sound on the passenger side, particularly at low revs. Above 40MPH theres no noise at all but below this the rattles are quite bad.

There was a problem with the struts and this cured some creaks at very low revs but the rattle persists. It's a rattle along with a shaking type of sound. It's hard to describe.

Any ideas what it could be?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Pugugly on 15/08/2008 at 20:40

03 1.3 Rattling - tyro
None at all. Sorry.

But it just so happens that I have a 53 reg KA (bought new), and in the last few months it has developed what I would describe as a "rumbling sound". (There's a coincidence, no? In fact, I was about to post a new thread when I noticed this one.)

Yesterday I had it in (to an independent I use) to have the strut top bearings replaced. After I drove off, I noticed that the rumbling was still there, so I went back and asked him what the noise was. He said he'd noticed it, and checked the suspension, but the suspension seemed sound, and he had no idea.

The noise is most noticeable when driving over broken surfaces, esp at low speed. Undulating surfaces don't seem to be a problem.

Sounds like it may be the same thing.
03 1.3 Rattling - Another John H
On the rumbling front, my daughters 05 KA had a rear wheel bearing replaced under warrantee just shy of 3 years old.

It had been picked up at MOT by a Ford garage, but there's so much noise in the base KA, as an occasional driver of it I hadn't even noticed..
03 1.3 Rattling - bagpussandco
Progresss!

I had the bonnet up last night and had someone with me to listen for the noise as I turned the engine over.

The rattle is from the air filter. I had the struts done last week and I'm wondering if they had to take the air filter off to fix them and it hasn't been fitted tight enough.

So nothing major major but it'll need looking at
03 1.3 Rattling - tyro
Glad to hear of your progress!

I only hope that my rumble turns out to be something similarly minor.
03 1.3 Rattling - jazzykaz
Among other faults I have on my ford fiesta, I have been getting a rattling noise which sounds like it comes from the engine area, it doesnt always do it and is usally as low speeds when it does bazzar!
03 1.3 Rattling - tyro
Update:

My Ka continues to have the rumbling / rattling sound.

It went in for its annual service and MOT, and passed the MOT. In fact, it passed . . . (wait for it) . . . without a single advisory - something I can't recall happening on any of my cars in recent years!

But the noise continues. Is it something I should be concerned about? And how do I get it diagnosed?
03 1.3 Rattling - parky1987

i know this sounds crazy, but check the pivot end gromet for the hood support rod (the stick that holds the bonnet up). mine had perrished causing it to rattle at low revs, but only intermitently, i couldn't find the problem because every time i managed to get it to rattle, i opened the bonnet to try and find it, low and behold, the rattling stopped!!! had me puzzled for days, i can't stop lauging about it now!!! i stole the grommet off a scrap golf gti i have, much better quality!!!

i hope this is the cause, seriously cheap to fix!! post me back!!

03 1.3 Rattling - gavmoffat
My 306 has a nasty rattle from the catalytic converter vibrating at low revs / speeds. It's worth looking under the chassis to check if you find yourself with a similar problem.