1997 1.6 gurgling coolant header tank - igr
Have an Astra 1.6cc 8 valve 75bhp. Recently noticed strange bubbling coming from front passenger side possibly expansion tank maybe heating matrix. Am losing a little water but can't find any sign of a leak 'no wet patch under car/no water staining under bonnet'. Car does run on the cool side stuck open thermostat I fancy for that. Cooling system seems to be pressurized when releasing filler cap in the morning. If this was a domestic heating system I'd say air lock ! do these cooling systems air lock and how do you vent them ? Thank for any ideas you can give me IGR.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/08/2008 at 01:25

1997 1.6 cooling system - andyp
This has got several symptoms of head gasket failure, the first thing would be to take it to a garage for a pressure and "sniff" test.
1997 1.6 cooling system - igr
Thanks for the quick reply andyp kinda thought head gasket might be the cause. Like the sniff test ! have had slight wiff of petrol occasionally. Will have it checked thanks again.
1997 1.6 gurgling coolant header tank - igr
Astra 1.6 75bhp on a 1997 plate. Strange gurgling coming from pressure vessel when revved almost as if air locked. At first thought could be head gasket, had that looked at and seems to be alright. Even on a cold engine there's still pressure in the vessel which when released bubbles quite vigorously, doesn't seem to be using water at the moment. Replaced filler cap with one from scrappy, seemed to work no pressure next morning but now it pressurised again when cold? Car runs well enough did 130 odd miles the other day, no problems, does run cold though faulty stat. I fancy for that. Should they hold a lot of pressure overnight? seems to much pressure to me really got me scratching my head. Any suggestions greatly appreciated THANKS.

slt

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/08/2008 at 01:24

1997 1600 pressure vessel - Screwloose

The max pressure is set by the rating of the spring in the cap. Holding pressure overnight is not indicative of a problem.

The best test for a head gasket fault is sniffing the gases in the header tank with a gas analyser to check for hydrocarbons.
1997 1600 pressure vessel - jc2
If stat stuck open,water won't be circulaing properly.
1997 1600 pressure vessel - piston power
If stat stuck open water won't be circulaing properly.
It will circulate just fine just like it would if it opened at temp, the only thing a stuck open stat will do is it won't warm up it will be cool.

As mentioned get the sniff test done, if ok fit new stat and bleed correctly.
1997 1600 pressure vessel - igr
Thanks all for the quick replies sniff test here I come. Ta
1997 1600 pressure vessel - Dynamic Dave
Thanks all for the quick replies sniff test here I come. Ta

Just merged the 2 threads, as they relate to the same question.

Sniff test mentioned previously, and 14 days later.......