What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
98 2.0 T Climate Control Fault - merlinauto
Hello all. I have a Volvo V40 2.0 Turbo S-Reg (1998).

The car has climate control that has recently gone into fault mode.

The cabin cooling fan doesn't work and the LEDs on the AC button flash - the user manual says this indicates a fault with the climate control system.

Does anyone know where the climate control ECU is and if there are any common problems associated with the climate control system on these models? The Haynes manual doesn't cover this in much detail.

The car isn't worth much so I'm trying to avoid having the DTCs read.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Webmaster on 08/08/2008 at 12:39

98 2.0 T Climate Control Fault - elekie&a/c doctor
Ususal problem on these when the blower fan is not working is a failure of the fan speed controller.It is located in the heater fan housing behind glove box.If I recall,part approx £60.hth
Thanks for the information.

Can you remember whether access is by removing the glovebox or up behind it and whether it is possible to test the fan speed controller before replacing it?
Just an update for anyone who's intrested.

Turned out to be a fault in the cable that runs from a 40A fuse in the engine-bay fuse box to the fusebox in the drivers side footwell.

When measured in the drivers side footwell fuse box, 12V was present until a load was applied (eg blower fan or hazards), then get somewhere around 1V.

Replaced the cable by splicing a new piece in between the two fuse boxes. OK now.
98 2.0 T Climate Control Fault - SpecialK
I have an intermittent electrical fault on my 2002 S40 2l Turbo - the secondary dash panel (aircon/rear screen heater/recirc/DSA controls) - fails to come 'alive' for up to 20 minutes on start up.

At its 70,000m service last week this was diagnosed as a faulty 'climate control unit' and the Volvo (main service) dealers quoted a price not far short of UK bank's nationalisation costs.. !!

Can these units be mended, rather than replaced? Is there a generic c.c.u. which will resolve the problem?

I'm based in East London, if there's any techie person out there who can supply/fit for me..

Thanks in anticipation

SpecK
98 2.0 T Climate Control Fault - DP
Yes these units can be mended. These guys should be able to take care of it:

www.bba-reman.com

Specifically:

www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Products.aspx?category...1

I know someone who had a Passat instrument pod repaired by these people for a fraction of VW's replacement cost, and it's still going fine today.

Saving punters money isn't even in the vocabulary of a main dealer.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 13/10/2008 at 12:18

98 2.0 T Climate Control Fault - SpecialK
Thanks for the info, DP

Unfortunately they can only repair my existing unit, they don't have one to part-exchange. So my vehicle would be out of commission for some time..

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

SpecK