What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Philips/Vauxhall Car Radio - hitlife
I have an older Philips/Vauxhall radio cassette player. Model number appears to be 22DC?81/63 and there is also an additional code WA049034 on the certification of purchase attached to the bottom of the machine. It appears to be an early/mid 90's device.

There are two connectors on the back, I've drawn a little diagram to represent the pins below ...

- - - -
- - - -

- -
- - -

Can anyone tell me what connects to each so I can wire this in ... ? It's a long shot, but if anyone can help then it's much appreciated!

Hitlife.
Philips/Vauxhall Car Radio - Dynamic Dave
Get yourself along to Halfords. They do an adaptor kit for approx £10 - £13. The kit will tell you what wires go where. You'll also prob need an arial adaptor as well. Not sure if Halfords do them. I got mine from a Vauxhall main dealer.

For info, the 8 connectors are the speakers, the other 5 are earth, +ve, switched +ve, electric arial, and lights +ve.
Just to add, product code is PC2-16-4 I think

www.radioservices.freeserve.co.uk/Pages/Harness/Ha...m
Philips/Vauxhall Car Radio - hitlife
Very interesting, thanks. I really appreciate the help! I'm fitting this inside a VW Golf 1.3 (G Reg.) and the connectors would physically fit together. In addition, I have 4 pins on the power connector which would fit with what appears to be the power connector on the car. The car also has the other connector with all leads present which would appear to connect with what I think is the speaker connector as you have described on the radio.

So they appear to match in terms of the vague connections, although I don't know the exact details - and they should physically fit together. In which case can I simply connect the two together, or am I risking burning out all the cars electronics?

The radio also has what looks like an arial connector, but I don't know where to connect this ...

So do I need an adaptor, or can I just connect up and hope for the best?

Hit Life.
The connector you describe is an ISO plug "which" should have the same connections regardless of car. For instance, I installed a Vauxhall stereo into a Rover using the same plug connections. Theoretically providing no one has butchered the wiring in the Golf, the stereo should just plug into the wiring harness.

Having just taken another look in google, I came across these sites that explains the plug wiring.

www.justkenwood.co.uk/editorial/inst_rec.asp
www.clarionworld.co.uk/stock/iso.asp
www.geocities.com/caroleandtony/in_car.htm