06 2.0 gti thumping noise felt thru clutch pedal o - ducter
Have recently taken pocession of a 2nd hand golf GTI 2.0 - & 17000 miles on the clock.
As most usual on a test drive with the dealers rep. all appeared well and the car
appealed to me so i went for it. Its a great car and im very happy with it (having
always wanted to own one) The only thing that annoys me about it is, when i would be
doing some town driving (stop \start) that there is a form of thumping noise that is
felt thru the clutch pedal when moving off from rest in first gear? Its not very loud
and dissapears as soon as the car gets under way. Im confident its coming from the
clutch somewhere? but when i left the car into the VW dealer for a check they said its
nothing to worry about and has something to do with the DMF (dual mass flywheel)
In other words VW dealer says this is a normal type sound on a Golf GTI 2.0 FSI turbo!
Is there anyone out there has the same type of problem? or is aware of some light
thumping sound when moving off from rest. Im considering having an independent
motor engineer check out my car as i just can;t accept that this is a normal 'status
quo' on a car that appears to be of a very high engineering build.

06 2.0 gti thumping noise felt thru clutch pedal o - none
Ducter, I don't know much about car transmissions as I work on light to medium commercials.
I've had to replace a couple of Transit DM flywheels recently with exactly the symptoms you describe.
Everything worked perfectly, just a thudding sensation through the clutch pedal, and in each case the flywheel was defective.
06 2.0 gti thumping noise felt thru clutch pedal o - ducter
Tkns for your reply.i have since been searching the net and found quite a
Lot of articles on the dmf, and also an excellent animation that shows
In detail just how these dmf:s work. As well as reading of a lotta
Problems that folk are having with them also.
I just cant understand why a clutch manufacture can design this type
Of device, and in my case after a small amount of milage it goes pearshaped! Been back to my vw dealer and informed him that the dmf is
Gone out of noise tolerence but the bad news is he is saying its acceptable and if he replaces it the new one will most probably sound
The same after a similar milage? Im thinking now i should change my car
And not the dmf!

{post amended to remove SHOUTING!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/07/2008 at 01:08

06 2.0 gti thumping noise felt thru clutch pedal o - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
DMF problems seem common on many makes of vehicle.I believe LUK clutches in some cases will supply a kit with a one piece flywheel as a straight swap.
Another technological 'improvement'!!
Andrew
06 2.0 gti thumping noise felt thru clutch pedal o - caine
Been hearing through grapevine of a number of non dmf's deisel's tearing the friction plate from the center boss,My guess would be animals thinking they are rally drivers.These engines produce a lot of tourque and it's not hard to join the dots.Todays drivers don't have any mechanical sympathy,Some of the thing's Ive seen would make you weep.Cant help but wonder if maker's thought dmf's would be a soulution rather than the mess they are.Many times it's down to manufacturers.At least as many are at the feet of drivers.I know a lot of people are having problems,But i,would like to see a table of units sold/fitted and faults reported.I remember doing a clutch(non dmf)one time that was'nt just down to the rivets it had actually welded inself together.Jawdropping!!