Save ££s let insurance run out and reapply - oldtoffee
My 20 year old son?s policy renews with a big insurance company in 17 days time so off we went to see if we could get a better deal elsewhere and the answer was ?no? except for one company who could do it for nearly 20% less ? the same company he is with now!

Phoned them up saying we?d like to renew but could we please have the internet price and not the price in the renewal documentation.

?No, sorry you can?t?
?That?s strange, why not??
?Well here we have our overheads and the internet doesn?t?
?So if I just go for the internet quote I?ll get the internet price??
?No it won?t let you, as you have a current policy with us it will spot this and not let you take it up?
?If I let the policy run out and then apply later on the same day on-line I?ll get the internet price?
?Yes?
?Thank you?

Save ££s let insurance run out and reapply - 659FBE
I did this with Tesco to save GBP10. The only downside is that their zombie-resistant system then requires proof of NCB, even though you were insured with them previously. It took me a while to sort this one out so I might not do it again. They cover my Skoda Superb PD 130 for GBP150 pa fully comp - not bad for a surprisingly fast car.

Save ££s let insurance run out and reapply - Armitage Shanks {p}
I did this with LV. My online renewal application/quote was £60 cheaper than the renewal that arrived in the post. I rang them and said I wanted the lower quote and they gave it to me without any argument
Save ££s let insurance run out and reapply - martint123
I've never come across a web site that doesn't let me come in as a "new" customer. I haven't "renewed" for years. Although I don't always stick with the same insurer, I've always managed to get a quote.
Save ££s let insurance run out and reapply - cjehuk
Regular occurrence. With elephant.co.uk I routinely get a renewal that it within a few pounds of my previous premium, then I get a quote online with the same details and get a price about £150 or more less. One call and they honour the internet price. Tomorrow they will claim £695 for my insurance for 10k including Business in my 07 plate TT with two drivers, me at 24 with 3 yrs NCB and my fiance at 22 with 1 yrs NCB and 1yr experience. When you consider that in 2001 as a 17y/o I paid £1600 for a year insured on a 10yr old Rover 214S it really looks quite cheap.
Save ££s let insurance run out and reapply - MikeTorque
I've been doing this for a number of years only I've never had a problem when I phoned and quoted the online price and negotiated the cheaper option, they just price matched and rolled out the updated policy. This works for vehicle breakdown cover as well, get the online quote and compare with the phone or written quote, again they'll price match whichever is the cheaper option, although one such breakdown service has now got it's pricing a lot more consistent, they're learning.