What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1997 1.8D runs weak & lumpy, and is also hesitant - dieselfreak
Comrades, just bought my first Modeo, 1800 diesek LX R reg 151K on the clock, no service hisory. Runs as weak and as lumpy as a lump thing, and on a 70mph road, is constantly hesitant, I am aware of the petrol/ diesel differece , last 4 cars have been self bought diesels, and cannot believe that I bought such a good looking dog, hence lost my mind. Help, Air filter is not not the worst i havfe ever seen, what do you think hvae I finally done myself ???

All suugeestions welcome from the best foreum in the world

{Subject header made less vague}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/07/2008 at 12:55

r 1.8 lost my mind, moment of madness etcx - Screwloose

The RF isn't a bad old thing; should go a lot better than that. Pumps can play up at high miles; [I've got some new ones somewhere] but before going down that route, check the rubber pipe that goes on to the aneroid unit on the lower front of the pump.

If it's oily; then it's leaking and you'll get no extra fuel to go with your boost. The aneroid unit's diaphragms also split, as does the one in the priming pump on the filter - and is that new?

Has it been fed silly-fuel? These pumps don't like bio.
r 1.8 lost my mind, moment of madness etcx - dieselfreak
Cheers screwloose , I'm new to this engine, so where am I looking to check this?

ps I bought the car from a very rural area, so suspect it may have had a diet of red diesel. even so its not running anywhere near as well as my soon to be scrap 230,000 golf mk2 d
r 1.8 lost my mind, moment of madness etcx - Screwloose
df

Red is still [for now] the good stuff and will protect the pump far better than pump ULSD.

The pipe that you're looking for comes from the turbo elbow.
r .18 mondeo 2 1.8 TD weak and lumpy - its getting - dieselfreak
Yesterday tried to start it, did the usual of allowing glowplugs to heat up twice, it turned over about 4 times then nothing, just a click when the key was turned. Checked the electrolyte level in the battery, topped it up and put the bat on charge. B fully charged this morning, same routine, it turned over 3 times then nothing, help !!! Is it some kind of anti theft thing or am I being mad ?

{moves to previous question as related}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/07/2008 at 11:11

r .18 mondeo 2 1.8 TD weak and lumpy - its getting - Screwloose

That sounds very like a dead cell in the battery; any of them boiling under load - tried jump leads?
r .18 mondeo 2 1.8 TD weak and lumpy - its getting - dieselfreak
came back at lunchtime, to my surprise engine turned over 4 times (nearly fired once as well), then just a click and nothing. Does this fit with a dead cell,?? cannot try jump leads got no one to jump from
r .18 mondeo 2 1.8 TD weak and lumpy - its getting - Screwloose

Yes; nip down the motor-factors and buy a cheap jump-pack.
r 1.8 that modeo d is half sorted, but help .. - dieselfreak
First of all thanks screwloose, you are the master.

Fuel pump sorted inc new filter, it starts, with accelerator help, but has a weak tick over ( feels like it could stall any minute) it runs much better, which means is is half decent as opposed to totally crap. Yep new battery needed, but the one from the Golf will go on there when time has come

Last two cars have been Golf MK2 D, with high miles, current one 230,000 and only being scrapped cos of rust, both have been great starters (glow plugs heated twice and no need to depress accelerator), strong tickover, even from start and in cold, strong and smooth power delivery, and ok when foot off gas.

Modeo is still weak tickover, hesitating whether under load or not, something keeps clicking, hard to describe that, and take if I take my foot off gas whilst in gear, it becomes so lumpy that I naturally dip the clutch. Any further advice ?? Thanks

<{Moves to previous question, as related}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/07/2008 at 15:26

r 1.8 that modeo d is half sorted, but help .. - injection doc
If its a diesel I suspect the advanced solonoid in the pump i s failing.Its replacable on the front lower part of the pump. If it is a little smoky cold & light blue that will more than likly be the prob
I Doc
r 1.8 that modeo d is half sorted, but help .. - dieselfreak
Thanks Idoc, yes 1.8 diesel, sorry to be thick but which pump? the fuel pump was brand new on yesterday with new filter.Can you give anymore advice as to where to look ?
r 1.8 that modeo d is half sorted, but help .. - Screwloose
df

Make sure that Golf battery is suitable for a smart charge system, or it will eat it.

You're in the change zone; does the injector pump have a cable-operated fast idle lever? Has someone been playing with the screw on the lever stamped "Stop"- it should be paint-sealed.
r 1.8 that modeo d is half sorted, but help .. - jc2
If the header means it's an "R" Mondeo,it's unlikely to have "smartcharge".
r 1.8 that modeo d is half sorted, but help .. - Screwloose

Smart [high voltage] charging was fitted from '94 onwards on this engine.