What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Common rail crap or what. Views please! - theballboy
Currently looking to buy a car. recent COugar wrote off. Have recently been put off common rail diesels altogether by reports / threads on here and other forums about turbo failures / pump failures / lub issues. THis is an inspiring post.

Recently travelled to Newcastle from N. Ireland to pick up an 03 mondeo tdci ghia x with 95K on it. (ebay purchase) Injectors had recently been replaced. Had a ferry booked from Scotland that evening when it all went horibly wrong putting the car through its paces
Glow light / engine management system was on - lost power - limp home mode - disgusted - ford garage - computer fault read out - looked like whole fuel system needed replacing - metal bits in fuel system - circa £1500

In fairness the guy selling felt a completely awful. He gave me my depoisit back (£100 paid through ebay) and paid for a flight home. Car still mine if I want when it gets fixed. Only 2700 quid to buy in 1st place STill can't work out if he knew all along though.

Anyway, had originally believed the mondy to be a great motor. Warranty direct has it for a great score in its reliability rating. All the mags give glowing reports on reliability. However, I think the key point is that they havn't taken into consideration those cars operating at 80k+ miles. This in my research seems to be the danger zone for fuel systems.

Moved on to looking at Mazda 6 (imagined great reliability through out) BUT lots of fleet managers and posts relating to complete engine failure around the 90k plus end. Engine closely realted to fords (both companies in bed together these days).

I basically have been put off common rail diesels altogether now. However..................
Like alot of people say. Maybe people are just reporting the bad stuff. Maybe they have had issues, attempting looking it up on net and have all found these sites which facilitates their shared experiences in dissing the engines and having a rant?

I would love to see stats for these cars Ford / Mazda / toyota for those models that are still running versus those which have packed up.

At this point, belive it or not , I am considering returning for the car in newcastle once ford sorts it. Im thinking ' hey a brand new fuel system, must be good for another 100k or so. Also considering purchasing a 3 year extended warranty(bashing out a deal) which will cover everthing in case something does go drasticly wrong. Would still be cost effective in my eyes.

So to sum up. WOuld love to here peoples throughts on these issues then

Common rail diesels - Crap after 90k?
WHat percentage fail do you think? - 10? 20%?
I am nuts going back for that motor?
Maybe I should just fork out more cash and buy a lower mileage model for 3 years use then let the next guy handle the big end failures after 90k?

Thanks in advance for responses.
Apologies also for spelling - dont really give a pink fluffy dice when trying to get the general point across.

{Please read the forum policy on swearing. If I have to edit one more post of yours because of it I will simply delete the post instead as it is so much easier. }

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/07/2008 at 12:59

Common rail crap or what. Views please! - drivewell
>>Also considering purchasing a 3 year extended warranty(bashing
out a deal) which will cover everthing in case something does go drasticly wrong. Would
still be cost effective in my eyes.

My '05 plate Mondeo TDCi (130) turned 3 years old last Tuesday, with 44K miles on the odometer. I'm planning on keeping it a while, particularly since it has has recently had a new clutch, DMF and gearbox (in an attempt to cure an intermittent resistance engaging 2nd gear when cold). It also had its fuel pump replaced, because it had developed a very slight leak. All this work has been done under the original Ford warranty.

I have taken out a Warranty Direct 'Luxury' policy at £25 / month, which appears to be to all intents and purposes every bit as comprehensive as the Ford one.

Incidentally, the car is running as well, if not better, than it ever has in the 27 months / 34K miles I've had it for. (bought it at 10K miles / 9 months old)

NB, MoT was a PASS with no work, no advisories, and a FastPass on the smoke test.