93 1.9 head gasket - johncompleatangler
I have a 15 year old Peugeot 405TD estate, my 2nd one, with 160,000 on the clock, and I love it! I've done so much to it that I want to hang on to it if I can. I think the head gasket is going as it loses coolant with no obvious leaks and also pressurises the cooling system - fluid sometimes pours out under pressure AFTER the engine has cooled when I remove the radiator cap. The oil and coolant are both clean and I have just done a 330 mile round trip running like a bird. Engine temperature is fine but it was problematical before until I fitted a new thermostat (the old one didn't have a bleed hole in it so I could not bleed it properly). I expect overheating did the damage.
I have twice used K-Seal but this has made no difference. I am very reluctant to spend the £600 odd I've been quoted but I have seen "Steel Seal" advertised at www.steelseal.co.uk/. The only alternative is to do the job myself. I have done a few in the past many years ago, including an old Astra diesel, but this looks much more complicated
Question 1 - do you agree my diagnosis?
Question 2 - What do you think of Steel Seal, how effective, safe, permanent?
Question 3 - How difficult is this likely to be (especially with the turbo)?
Many thanks
John (Also quite honest!)
93 1.9 head gasket - Peter.N.
Your dignosis sounds right, the mileage is about right for head gasket failure too. I am in full agreement with you wanting to keep it, as they are a nice car and you can't repair anything made much later. I would be inclined to do a proper job and change the gasket. The make laminated steel ones now that look as though they should last forever, and the engine should be good for at least another 100k if it has had regular oil changes. Its not the easiest of jobs but much less complicated than on my XM 2.1, and I managed that. The most fiddly part is detaching the manifolds, with the turbo, from the head, as you have to work down the back. You could remove the head complete with the manifolds and turbo, but you then have to disconnect the oil feed/return pipes which can also beawkward. Get a Haynes manual if you dont have one.
93 1.9 head gasket - RichardW
The HG change on a one of these is every bit as awkward as it looks. It took me nearly 3 weeks to get the head off my BX TD - kept having to go back for various tools to get various awkward fastners off. I ended up taking it out with the turbo in place - not recommended on your own! If you can change the cambelt, you can do the head gasket - just don't expect to do your first one on Friday afternoon!!
93 1.9 head gasket - jonlucpicard
I have a mate who is a trained mechanic and who loves the peugeot diesels. He did the head gasket on my 405 about 3 years ago and he pulled the engine out to do it. Although it can be done with the engine in the car, it is much easier with the engine out. He had removed so many engines from 405's that he could have one out in under 3 hours.
If your going to replace the gasket it's best to get the head pressure tested and skimmed.
93 1.9 head gasket - Martin1981
Alternatively, it can often be more cost effective to drop another engine in. Assuming it's the 1905cc TD and not the previous 1769cc TD (the latter is harder to find now), you should be able to find a decent replacement engine fairly easily for the £250 mark and can probably get it fitted for another £200-250.

I ended up doing just that with my 306 when the head gasket failed at 150k and it gave me another 70k and 3 years service.

Martin
93 1.9 head gasket - jenrich
I wouldn't panic if I were you. A similar thing happened to my 405 non-turbo about 70,000 miles ago. It lost a bit of coolant and pressurised the system and the pressure could stay in the system for days. This "bodge" is still in place and the problem's no worse. It might be worth you trying it if the gasket isn't too far gone.

I drilled a the side of a 28mm copper fitting to take an automatic air bleed valve (as used on central heating systems) and grafted it into the top hose with a couple of jubilee clips. The idea is that the valve releases any air forced into the system without it letting any coolant pass. Since then it's had a new radiator and it doesn't lose any coolant at all.

Hope that helps

Richard