What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - oilrag
What tools do you have tucked away that you would never part with despite being no longer needed? and what do you still use when a trip to Halfords would really re-equip you with modern kit?

I`m still using a `Hilka` half inch drive socket set (in a battered gold coloured tin) bought in the late 60`s.

I should buy new I suppose to benefit from the `feel` of modern tools, but for nostalgia cannot bring myself to do it.

(This post was inspired by buying 16 inch water pump pliers yesterday and reflecting that I had managed without since 1964.)

For inspiration

tinyurl.com/5s5qry

Regards to all ;)
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - PhilW
Snap!
When I saw the thread title, I thought immediately of my "`Hilka` half inch drive socket set (in a battered gold coloured tin) bought in the" early '70s! Think it cost about £6.99 and I originally bought it for one job on the car thinking it was so cheap (and much cheaper than going to the garage) that it wouldn't last long. Admittedly it doesn't exactly see daily use but over the years has had a heck of a lot of use - some of it involving rather bad language and the use of a hammer on the end of the bar to loosen particularly stubborn nuts.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Bill Payer
When I saw the thread title I thought immediately of my "`Hilka` half inch drive
socket set (in a battered gold coloured tin) bought in the" early '70s! Think it
cost about £6.99

I've got one of those too (still have the plastic cover that fits over the sockets with the foam to stop them rattling around!). I'm sure it was way more than £6.99 though - I think it was something like £25. It was a big deal buying it as that was a weeks pay.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - L'escargot
I've got a holdall full of tools that I've amassed over the years. Until fairly recently they were carried in the boot "just in case". Recently, in the interests of fuel economy, I decided it was time to reduce my in-boot tool kit to the bare essentials and keep the excess in the garage. One of my most useful tools is a 6" length of 1/2" square steel bar which I use as a socket extension in conjunction with a torque wrench when working on wheel bolts and spark plugs. I know you can buy extensions that are male at one end and female at the other but for use with my torque wrenches they're nowhere near as versatile as my home-made extension.

I keep meaning to bin the tools that I never use but I'm a bit of a hoarder and I just haven't got the heart to do it.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - pmh
My favourite for versatility has to be the 2 lengths of scaffold pole welded to form an 'L' 90cmx60cm. Used as an 'extension' lever.

(Originally made for a satellite dish mount, but never used).

pmh
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Harleyman
Still got the splined head bolt tool for the Mark 3 Ford Cortina OHC engines.

Nice to see that the tool's lasted longer than the cars!

Also have a long 7/16 Allen key which fits the rear wheel mounting bolts on a 1942 Harley-Davidson WLA which I rode in the 1990's. Proof that you should never throw or give old tools away, as I've just come across another bike and done a deal for it!
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - 659FBE
An original (Swiss) Wanner grease gun. It's a most beautifully constructed tool and hangs unused for long periods on a nail, protected by a polythene bag. It has an airing annually to grease the coupling on my big trailer.

It gets my award as being one of the nicest tools to use with the added feel-good factor of getting the lubricant exactly to where it's needed.

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - mjm
659FBE,

The good old Wanner. Mine is still in the garage, was looking for something else yesterday and came across it. I did look at it, sort of lovingly, and wonder if it'll ever be used again. It's staying there, just in case.

There's also "Spotty", the 1/2 pound hammer which is the best balanced ball pein hammer I have ever used, and a 3 prong hub puller which is big enough to hold the hub still and push the vehicle bodily off the hub. It used to belong to my grandmother.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - gordonbennet
Don't know what make it is, but i've got a lovely smooth action grease gun which i've had for years, overjoyed that the hilux has still got greasable propshafts, so its back in use apart from the trailer hitch too.
Confession, when i greased the front prop, i had to move the motor several times to get the nipples in line; whilst greasing them , the prop kept turning, penny dropped yet?
The front props free to turn unless locked in drive...doh.

Its certain sockets i suppose are my 'must not lose' keepsakes, like the 14mm snap on 6 sided but very thin socket that was the only one capable of undoing the bell housing bolts on a supra.
I've also got loads of my late brothers tools (very accurate verniers etc) which i shall never use, as too ham fisted and not an engineer like him, but i can't bear to part with them. And a house full of other momento's of his life.
Still, it'll give my son more reason for lots of chuntering when he has to decide.

And i've inherited his very large gold cased hilka socket set too, thats 4 socket sets now.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/06/2008 at 11:11

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Harleyman
GB, I'm the same with my late father's toolkit; he was a quarry fitter by trade and consequently I still have a selection of very large Whitworth spanners and 3/4 drive sockets. The sockets get occasional use as spacers when I have to press a bearing!

I also inherited his garden tools, Dad loved his garden but he'd turn in his grave to see my pathetic efforts at horticulture; never was a stainless steel spade more wasted on a body!
I also inherited his garden tools Dad loved his garden

My late Dad was a gardener, most of his post war life spent in private service at very lovely open gardens of old money, i too am completely useless, but can grow spectacular weed assortments. The pigeons get most of my crop, but haven't got the heart to shoot them, unlike the magpies.

Like you i've still got the splined tool for the ohc fords.
And the massive but thin spanner for undoint the bottom ball joints on the land crab.

A jolly good one though i've had for years is a proper screw thread ball joint separater, makes me cringe when i see someone hammereing those tapered things in, causing destruction to every surface, and ripping a rubber seal to shreds on a perfectly reusable joint.

And if i'm sad enough to have a poke under the bench, probably many odd but vital special tools for those dreadful but fondly remembered cars.

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Clanger
659FBE
The good old Wanner.

My Wanner got used a lot on the Dyane, the 2CV and Ami and latterly on the couple of DSs I had. Nowadays the caravan hitch gets a squirt at the beginning and end of the season and the excellent Mountfield hedge-cutter I bought last year has a grease nipple on the gearbox so I get to use the gun every few weeks or so in the summer. Bought for me by my stepfather who was a great one for buying tools that lasted.

I've also got a Sykes-Pickavant brake adjusting tool for those horrible square rear brake adjusters to be found on British Leyland cars of years ago. Despite some heavy use (worked best with judicious use of a welding torch), it's unmarked and will probably never be used by me again. Bin it? Not likely, it's a work of art. Prise it from my cold dead hands etc.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Manatee
I've just broken, using excessive force of course, a cheap Draper water pump plier I have had since maybe 1976.

I don't recall ever using it on a water pump, so arguably never needed it, but it has to be the most useful bodging tool - it's been used for crimping, bending, as a pair of tongs and for undoing things as an alternative to a tool that actually fits.

A replacement has been purchased.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Robin Reliant
A C shaped spanner for undoing the lock-nuts when adjusting valve clearences on Pinto OHC engines. I don't know why I've kept it for nearly 30 years as it never worked anyway, the jaws used to just spring apart under torque.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Pugugly
Amongst mine are a number of ex RAF tools, one of which is a red, Bakelite handled screwdriver which is from a Lancaster's kit and would have flown on ops. Ironically it is still in regular use 60 yrs + on tending the German technological Tour de Force that is a BMW 1200 motorcycle.

Edited by Pugugly on 28/06/2008 at 13:20

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - dxp55
Gordon socket set obtained late 60's early 70's with green shield stamps. - box is looking tatty but sockets are fine.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - ForumNeedsModerating
Although not quite same category as many above: a pair of scissors that were standard issue when I worked for the Public Health Laboratory Service in the early 80s. They've never blunted, nor has the rivet holding the 2 blades together become loose - this despite many indignities imposed upon them. I didn't steal them - it was 'custom & practice' for a service leaver to take his/her scissors with them, perhaps related to a notion of good hygiene practice. They have very thin, very pointy with symmetrical blades in high gloss stainless steel & can still cut a single hair at their tips.

Edited by woodbines on 28/06/2008 at 14:07

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Robin Reliant
Woodbines,

That is probably the most boring post I have ever seen on this forum ;-)
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Lud
Not at all. A really decent pair of scissors is a treasure.

In my hooligan youth a fellow-hooligan doctor friend gave me some artery forceps to use as a roach clip, but I'm afraid they have vanished

:o}
Not at all. A really decent pair of scissors is a treasure.

And what pleasure to find a Sheffield steel trade mark on something so useful too.

Should imagine your post has sparked some memories of strange uses of totally inappropriate instruments.
On a similar vein..
I used to use part of a 'multilift' skip lorry loading mechanism to break the bead seal on tyres, hard up in those days, changed my own tyres, missed once and a wheel about 3mm wide at one point resulted.:)
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Ian (Cape Town)
Robin,
You have no soul.

We still have a pre-1900 Tenon Saw, which was my great-great grandfathers, at least.
It is black all over, and caused much consternation when we took it to the saw sharpeners, as they hadn't seen its like in years.
The owner, a native of Bury, said it was one of the hardest steels he has ever worked with, and offered to buy it, just to show 'the young 'uns' how thing used to be made.

Motoring wise, dragging this screaming and kicking back to purpose, have you ever noticed that the exact tool you need - AND WHICH YOU KNOW YOU OWN - is never there when you need it? And invariably: (a) the car is in such a state of stripped-down-ness that you can't just pile in and head to the shop to buy a new one; and (b) said tool turns up, miraculously, a week later when you are hunting for something else, which, in turn, you can never find... perpetuating the cycle.
I must have six or seven 10mm spanners and sockets. If I was looking for an 11mm, I wouldn't find one. But I'd find the 10mm's.
And next week, the 10mm will have mysteriously run off to the land of odd socks and screw-in lightbulbs, and the bayonet-fitting bulbs and 11mm spanners sockets will have mysteriously returned.

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Lud
Goodness Ian. I thought it was just me. In my case though the tools are also scattered in many locations, the biggest deposit being in the boot of a Skoda Estelle in some bushes in Sussex, but of course in various locations in my car and office and the sitting room and the bedroom and the basement here, as well as the garden shed in Sussex and various stashes in the bedroom there and the corridors and some cupboards in a sort of kitchen lobby there where others have kindly tidied them away...
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Ian (Cape Town)
... and in addition... My father, who lives about 5 miles from me, has the same problem.
Yes, over numerous Xmases and birthdays he probably has received enough tools to outfit an entire B&Q, yet inevitably he can't find them.
Sio.. what does he do - phones ME up, and asks 'do you have a 17mm socket I can borrow?'
This seems an innocent request so far, but bear with me.
Inevitably *I* have to pop round to his place ('why don't you pop over, and we can have a beer?') and guaranteed it isn't just the loan of the said socket/spanner/whatever he wants, guaranateed he is halfway through some job or other, needing either another pair of hands, a strong back, or me fetching and carrying him off to get something, as his car is now in the driveway, up on stands, with various pieces strewn about. (see my thread above!).

So I end up going home with less petrol, but more beer, invariably either covered in grease/dirt, OR with a sore back, or having learned much much more about disassembling washing machines than I really want to know.

The OTHER problem with this scenario is I WILL, within a week, get another call, asking 'you know you were here last week? Do you remeber what you did with the pliers/mole grips/drill bits/etc etc etc?'

OR the other one is when he is CONVINCED that one of the tools I borrowed from him, about 6 years ago, I never returned, though I KNOW I did!

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - jc2
I've still got a Churchill socket set and we had,back in the 60's,a local wood-yard that had a box full of assorted ex-WD bits-always good for a sort thro'.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - ForumNeedsModerating
>>That is probably the most boring post I have ever seen on this forum ;-)

Ha ha.. yes, probably.. well anyway, fame of a sort I suppose. I'm wondering, given the dewy eyed tone of the many reminiscences here, whether this thread might better be by-lined: 'There's no tool like an old tool' (!)

To cut a slightly more dashing tone re tools, I still have 6-inch long 'war finish' adjustable spanner or wrench - an 'F' shape item anyway; last time used it still had micrometre like precision in its infallible grip & an oily-metallic patina that would provoke excitement on the Antiques Roadshow!

Edited by woodbines on 28/06/2008 at 19:20

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - none
I recently bought a set of halfords 'professional' combination spanners.
I guess they will be around in a hundred years or so as they are too slim to use comfortably, and too ill fitting to be of much use anyway.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - ifithelps
Anything by Snap-on, yes I know they are over-priced and over-rated, but...

Take a look at my 3/8" 10mm chrome socket, that is not a tool, sir, it's a jewel.

All the other 10mm sockets look so clumsy in comparison.

It got plenty of stick for the few years I worked in the trade and still looks brand new.

Then there's my jointed 3/8" ratchet which is actually in a 1/4" drive shell - the Snap-on man offered it as a special when he found the two mechanisms were interchangeable.

Is there any better way to turn a screw than with a standard, black handled Snap-on screwdriver?

My old gaffer bought us all a set to open our Snap-on accounts - 'last you a lifetime, my boy' - and he was right.

For heavy artillery there's my black 1/2" impact socket set and 18" matador, both Snap-on and unbreakable - the nut/bolt/thread will give way first, every time.

Not convinced? Just 'weigh' any Snap-on tool in your hand - the balance and feel is something you so rarely get with other tools.

Your `old tool` favourites collection. - scouseford
At least 20 years ago I applied for a car insurance quote which turned out to be non competitive. My reward for applying was a free 'multi function screwdriver'. It consisted of a plastic handle which contained 6 different headed 'screws' - flat, very small Phillips, slightly larger Phillips, screw head, awl. I can't remember the other one and I daren't wake the wife up to find out (it being in a cupboard in the bedroom) but it has been an absolute godsend. The cap which holds the spare drivers in the handle has cracked and it takes much dexterity on my part to keep the thing together but I reckon that I have used it more than any other tool since I got it (I don't do much DIY by the way!).

It has also come in handy for occasional use on the car!!
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - billy25
I still have and use an "Inspection Light" that i think first started out as a "stick on Dash" map-reading lamp. It comprises of a 12v tail-light bulb in a metal shade, on the end of a 10" flexible stem with a rubber sucker on the end, and a length of flex with crocky clips on, (my modification) as they are more universal than a lighter-plug. I first "aquired" it from an unlnown source back in the early '70's. and even now 35+ years on, i cant ever remember changing the bulb in it! - its a bit battered now, but i'd often be lost without it.

Billy
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - ifithelps
I had - and lost - a 12v light which was a sidelight bulb in a reflector about the size and shape of a small tin of beans.

It had a cigarette lighter plug and a decent length of flex.

Ever so useful and I still miss it, not so much this time of year, but certainly during the winter months.

The other handheld light I had was much bigger and had a halogen headlight bulb in.

Too bright, really - like trying to fill a bucket with a pressure washer.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - jc2
My favourite tool is a Draper screwdriver-never seen it for sale again otherwise I'd buy another;it's a ratchet driver-magnet in shaft which is powerful enough not just to hold the various adaptors supplied but to hold screws etc.;what makes it oustanding is a second handle on the shaft in front of the ratchet so you can turn the shaft independent of the rest of the screwdriver.
Your `old tool` favourites collection. - Pugugly
I have just realised that a pair of German made scissors I use almost daily were er...."borrowed" from the comprehensive First Aid kit that came with a BMW.

Bought a micro Leatherman for my Bike trip - a future classic I feel.

Edited by Pugugly on 29/06/2008 at 18:32