What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic now the USA's top selling car - MVP
How times change!

An article in today's FT says the Civic overtook the Ford F-series pickup as the top seller in May.

The USA use of 24% of global oil output might begin to drop....

MVP

Edited by Pugugly on 04/06/2008 at 19:00

Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - Falkirk Bairn
This is not the same as the UK built 3/5 door Civic.

The US Civic is a 4 door saloon which looks like the Civic Hybrid sold in the UK.
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - movilogo
It looks more like old Honda civic [saloon] in UK rather than latest spaceship like design :)
Civic has always been very popular in USA.
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - rtj70
They are finally waking up and realising driving huge gas guzzlers is not good for the planet or wallet. My brother got rid of his Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l V8 back in 1999 and got a VW Beetle Diesel.

But with the size of some of their SUVs I would not drive anything too small.

I found this quote from Associated Press a bit amusing: "GM will begin production of a new small car in 2010 that'll aim for 45 miles to the gallon"... and I realise a small car for the states might be big for us but 45mpg is doable now.

EDIT: And their other car is a Civic saloon again a number of years old. It has the VTEC engine but tuned for efficiency. It does more than 45mpg now.

Edited by rtj70 on 04/06/2008 at 18:06

Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - Westpig
I realise a small car for the states might be big for us but 45mpg is doable now.

maybe not...don't forget they'd want Ford Mondeo size or bigger, petrol and auto.. and there'd be air con etc
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - BrianW
The Mondy CAN be quite economical under the right conditions.

I got 44.3mpg according to the in-car computer from my 2 litre Mondy Gatwick to Chelmsford.

On the other hand, around town: lucky to get 30.
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - henry k
The Mondy CAN be quite economical under the right conditions.
I got 44.3mpg according to the in-car computer from my 2 litre Mondy
On the other hand around town: lucky to get 30.

>>
I get just over 30 under the right conditions
On the other hand around town: lucky to get 27.
(My 2 litre Mondy has a slush box)

I suspect most Honda Civics in the USA are autos.
That's why they need to embrace diesel... although that will probably push up the cost of diesel even more! I think I'm right in thinking only a certain amount of crude can be made into diesel and more refineries setup to make petrol than diesel.
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - Statistical outlier
Bear in mind that a US gallon is smaller than a UK one. So 45 mpg in the US would be 54 mpg here (I think a US gallon is 3.79 litres where a UK gallon is 4.55).
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - Lud
And as someone posted or I saw in the comic the other day, the Prius is the third best seller in the US.
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - madf
The top ten best selling cars in the U.S. for January '08 are as follows:

1. Toyota Camry: 31,601
2. Honda Accord: 23,957
3. Nissan Altima: 21,635
4. Honda Civic: 20,993
5. Toyota Corolla: 20,736
6. Chevrolet Impala: 17,544
7. Chevrolet Cobalt: 17,310
8. Chevrolet Malibu: 14,105
9. Pontiac G6: 13,942
10. Ford Focus: 11,600

Source: Autodata

tinyurl.com/3ortrm
for April 2008:

1. Toyota Camry/Hybrid
2. Honda Accord/Hybrid
3. Toyota Corolla /Matrix
4. Honda Civic/Hybrid
5. Chevrolet Impala
6. Ford Focus
7. Nissan Altima/Hybrid
8. Toyota Prius
9. Chevrolet Cobalt
10. Chevrolet Malibu

tinyurl.com/4msstl

EDIT: excludes Vans,SUVs...

Edited by madf on 04/06/2008 at 19:11

I'd forgotten the US Gallon was a fair bit smaller than the Imperial Gallon. A reason to use litres when calculating/comparing fuel consumption.
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - Pendlebury
>>That's why they need to embrace diesel... <<

Oh please no - everyone has become a bit blinkered about diesel emmissions because we are taxed in accordance with CO2 - you need to remember diesels generally pollute more than petrols with the exception of CO2.
The world may be a bit cooler if the US drove diesels but what's left of the rain forests would be destroyed with acid rain and we would all be in hospital with lung problems.
I still believe the next thing coming in terms of VED changes is all the other pollutants that diesels prodce more of than petrol cars.
Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - boxsterboy
I still believe the next thing coming in terms of VED changes is all the
other pollutants that diesels prodce more of than petrol cars.

... Or if they took benzene fumes (a known carcinogen) into account that are emitted when filling a petrol car, the tax would be on petrols ...

And of course petrols emit smaller particulates than diesels, which some scientists reckon are more dangerous for lungs than the bigger diesel particulates.

Edited by boxsterboy on 05/06/2008 at 10:26

Honda Civic now the USAs top selling car - MVP
It takes 20% more crude oil to produce a litre of diesel than it does petrol - diesel is not the miracle cure!

MVP