What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Credit Card Fraud - again. - henry k
My CC has been hit for three fraudulant transactions in very rapid order in the USA.
My CC co identified it, contacted me 09:00 the next morning a credited all ££s back instantly. The transaction were not for large sums.

I am trying to work out where / when the cloning originated.
I do not use the card online.
I visited a major supermarket and three hours later @ 00:00 hours the USA transactions occurred. I would have thought this supermarket was an unlikely source of the problem.

I had a visit to not my normal filling station but in my general area, a couple of weeks ago.
So beware in the Esher / Kingston area.:-)
( I always inform my CC Co. when I will be using it abroad)
Credit Card Fraud - again. - wotspur
"So beware in Esher/Kingston area"

- was it at a garage which seems to be generally the cheapest in the area, that aren't supermarkets ??-its been well published in Surrey advertiser and other local papers of the problems, at outlets within that group.

Glad you got your money back
Credit Card Fraud - again. - gordonbennet
My sons card was cloned twice, once when he was living near Weybidge, and again back in Northants, both times he thinks were filling stations.

I always pay cash at such places.

If you go in to fill a truck with fuel , some of them, incl motorway services expect you to leave your debit/credit card with them whilst you fill up...yeah right.

You should see the getaways i can make with 11 car carrier fully loaded when i do a drive off....;)

I'm pleased you got it sorted too Henry.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - drbe
There was a spate of CC cloning in the Esher/Cobham area about a year ago. They mainly seemed to occur at a well known oil cos. outlet.

My debit card was cloned, all the money was returned without any hassle at all. When I suggested to my bank that it would be a good idea if I let them know when I was going abroad - and where, they replied that it would make too much work!
Credit Card Fraud - again. - boxsterboy
Yes, I was a victim at a well-known petrol retailer in Leatherhead and I heard their Cobham branch had problems too. I too got the impression that it was so routine for the card company they could hardly be bothered to take it up with the retailer.
When I suggested to my bank that it would be a good idea if I let them know when >>I was going abroad - and where they replied that it would make too much work!

>>
Well, in the last week I contacted Nationwide and they have a press button option on their menu directing you to tell them when you are going to use your card abroad.

Thanks to all for your comments.
Although SWMBO and I have the same account the cards have different numbers ( unlike one of our other cards) so it was only my card that was cloned.
It was obviously fraud as I used the card at 21:00 and answered my home phone at 09:00 the next morning. The fraud was done in a store in the USA.

Credit Card Fraud - again. - Bromptonaut
My sons card was cloned twice once when he was living near Weybidge and again
back in Northants both times he thinks were filling stations.

GB

Can you be more specific about the Northants location (ie was it anywhere near Weedon?)

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/06/2008 at 21:52

Hi BN, just spoke with him on the phone, it definately wouldn't have been in the Weedon area for them.
Would normally have been W'borough/Rushden/N'pton corridor
They got a call on a Saturday from the bank asking them if they were by any chance in Sri Lanka doing some jewelry shopping.

These scams really make my blood boil, anything bar a days work for some people.

Even more sure i'm going to be using cash.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - Bromptonaut
OK, the local papers have given quite a bit of coverage to incidents at a particular garage on the A5 at Weedon. We've not been hit but SWMBO was filling up there on her way home (though not anymore!) and had witnessed a customer throwing a fit 'cos he perceived his card to be mishandled.

As there's a free ATM on site nobody need to use a debit card.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - corblimeyguvnar
Both my brother-in-law and a member of my staff's CC were cloned at branches of a major filling station, funny thing is one was in Birmingham and one in the Gatwick area!

I now always pay cash when I use this company at any outlet other than my local one (where I know all the staff).

Funny that the company hasnt done something about it, or at least it hasnt hit the headlines, or maybe it has and I missed it.

CBG

Edited by corblimeyguvnar{P} on 02/06/2008 at 20:06

Credit Card Fraud - again. - Westpig
i've been done at my local one...and it's only 400 yards up the road from where i live. Well known chain, what you'd consider to be a good brand. I don't think it's a coincidence that they only had a temporary manager there at the time, because after sorting it out with my bank (who were excellent) i went and moaned to the garage management. In fairness they followed it up etc, but not necessarily to a satisfactory conclusion i.e. they didn't work out who'd done it, despite narrowing my transaction down and looking at it on camera... or maybe they did and just got rid of the staff member.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - theterranaut
I think this has become more widespread, now national.

About 2 years ago, I used my debit card in my semi-local
filling station at Stonehouse, Lanarkshire. Within a couple
of weeks, a number of odd transactions appeared on my
statement, mostly to catalogue companies. Off I went to
the local police station, and the policeman at the desk, without
prompting, asked if I'd used the filling station in question.

What seemed to be happening was: the station issued a full
receipt that included the entire card number. It was then easy
for this to be copied there and then, or, if you were dozy and
put it in the station's bin, for it to be fished out.

Nowadays, I see that they mask most of the card number, apart
from the last 5 digits or so.

theterranaut
Credit Card Fraud - again. - welshlad
i always use a top up mastercard to pay for fuel that way it never has more then £50 quid on it and no need to worry about cloning
Credit Card Fraud - again. - nortones2
The "well-known chain" is an example of a franchised operation - not centrally managed except for the branding. Open to all and sundry to exploit the tills, esp. funding for certain insurrections in the Far East. Cash only in unfamiliar filling stations, I suggest.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - ifithelps
Most of the cloning was done by double swiping the card - once on the company's machine and once on a dodgy one.

Petrol stations were a good bet because you had to hand the card over - the assistant could then use sleight of hand/pretend to drop it to do the dodgy swipe.

In the examples above, I wonder if the swipe machine is on the customer's side of the partition, as many now are.

With the chip and pin system installed in a filling station, the assistant does not touch your card, which should make cloning impossible.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of criminals, though.
One of the issues is whether the swipe machine is corded, or cordless. The latter can be easily hijacked. And, chip and pin has been beaten by keylogging routines - they feed the vital info to the cloner. Job done. Spyware freely available apparently.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - rtj70
A reason to use a credit and not a debit card. CC has some backup for us under the current laws.
One of the issues is whether the swipe machine is corded or cordless.

>>
The suspect filling station was not one of the very biggest brands.
A fixed (corded) machine was in use and I was the only handler and it was PIN transaction.

>>BBD
>>I had a problem a few months ago with a new credit card that had never ever left the house since it was delivered, nor used on the internet yet was cloned.
>>
A recent ( repeat) programme had an example like yours where they guy kept the card in the safe and SWMBO did not know the PIN.
Bank whould not accept it was cloned and he had to pay up for all the fauds.

My CC was a company initiated replacement and was only a few days old. I had to phone to activate it and then I trashed the old one.

(I do have a very well know CC that because I have three cards on the account cannot be Chip n Pin so it requires a signature which surprises a few outlets.)
Credit Card Fraud - again. - zm
The "well-known chain" is an example of a franchised operation - not centrally managed except
for the branding. Open to all and sundry to exploit the tills esp. funding for
certain insurrections in the Far East. Cash only in unfamiliar filling stations I suggest.

I know exactly what you are trying to say nortones, I had arrived at the same conclusions myself ages ago, a pity though, that we probably can't expand further about this on here, but it pays to be streetwise does'nt it?

It's sad that totally innocent people will get tarred with the same brush though.

I have to be very careful about who I take CC/DD payment for cars from, and because of this I don't advertise the fact that I take card payments.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - corblimeyguvnar
ZM - am totally in agreement with you and Nortones, know exactly where you are coming from, and yes it is a shame that we cannot expand further, but thats good old Britatin for you.

CBG
Credit Card Fraud - again. - jbif
... it is a shame that we cannot expand further, but thats good old Britatin for you.

I don't understand where all this is coming from. The previous threads on this matter named the Oil Company whose franchises apparently are mainly affected by the scam, and the ethnicity and the funding of the "independence war" of the people involved was also discussed without any intervention from the mods.

Credit Card Fraud - again. - drbe
i.e. they didn't work out who'd done it despite narrowing my transaction down and looking at it on camera... or maybe they did and just got
rid of the staff member.

>>

Or maybe they did know who did it and they were all in it together.
"The "well-known chain" is an example of a franchised operation - not centrally managed except for the branding. "

Same as Holiday Inn being a franchise. When I once complained (won't go into details) it went nowhere. And it was potentially very serious.
Same as Holiday Inn being a franchise. When I once complained (won't go into details) it went nowhere. And it was potentially very serious.

>>
A few years ago I too experienced a poor response.
I booked a Holiday Inn for the family in Florida by CC to guarantee my reservation.
I arrived late evening to find the reservation had been cancelled and no rooms vacant.
My booking had been cancelled that afternoon when I was at 35,000 feet mid Atlantic.
" In effect - tough! go somewhere else!).
Credit Card Fraud - again. - bintang
Happened to me a few years ago, three transactions for about £750 each (but not identical amounts) for the same Californian account. I had paid for a few things in California with the card about a year previously. Californian friend got the Better Bureau Business on the case - no such company registered. My card issuer told me to report the fraud to my local police station, where staff told me that, as crime abroad, nothing to do with them. However, they knew about the outfit and gave me a reference number. The card compay coughed up but - an interesting aspect - declined to tell me exactly what had happened. I think they did not want to admit their system was penetrateable.
Some personal experience:

1. Brother who lives south of San Fransisco, we were shopping for wedding stuff. Shopping patterns a little odd.... one shop have to call to check identity of card owner. No problem but the systems for the credit card had flagged lots of smallish purchases in one area. This was 1999.

2. I got a call from O2 to query an online payment to top up our sons PAYG SIM. It looked dubious hence the call.

3. Back many years ago (1997?) a company charge card went missing. I told them it had not turned up and they said to said a week. It didn't appear so I got one to another address. In the meantime it was used.... as a charge card there is no real limit. Somehow they'd only managed less than £200 :-)

Credit Card Fraud - again. - Big Bad Dave
I had a problem a few months ago with a new credit card that had never ever left the house since it was delivered, nor used on the internet yet was cloned and used to buy and LCD tv and a load of medicines from a chemist. I can only guess it was someone at the bank, the police suspected me at first.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - steveo3002
i got caught recently too...i suspect a e**o station id used several weeks before

the bank told me its rife in filling stations and to use cash for fuel if possible , and that supermarket stations are more likely to be safer if you must use a card

Edited by steveo3002 on 03/06/2008 at 10:43

Credit Card Fraud - again. - AlastairM
I'm in the process of having (hopefully) £3500.00 repaid to my account. This was debited from my account in one amount by an online spread betting company!

Although the bank have/are agreed/agreeing to repay this amount, what worried me is that despite this being a one-off large payment to a company I have never previously used for a service which there was no history, which also placed the account in question into unauthorised overdraft, no effort was made to check with me.

It's all very well that I seem to be covered from a financial point of view but what all the other emotional and inconvenience issues. I wouldn't have liked to see what my blood pressure was that day.

It seems to be that it is an accepted/acceptable situation that a certain amount of fraud takes place.
It seems to be that it is an accepted/acceptable situation that a certain amount of fraud takes place.

Fact of life and reflection on moral values of society. It is seen as an acceptable cost of doing business in that sector [just as shoplifting in self-service shops, software theft in IT, illegal music & video downloads, counterfeit goods, etc. etc. .... all the way to motoring crimes including law breakers who think it is OK for them to break speed limits, drive while drunk, etc. etc. ]

I think some banks are better at dealing with it than others. My wife banks with the same outfit as me (First Direct), she got a phone call to say her part of the credit card (same a/c different cards and different numbers) had a 'strange' transaction and could she confirm it was her...£0.99p at 0200 hours in a downloading music transaction for an Ipod

Bank noticed she'd never used the card for that before and had never used the card at night. They stated it was often done for such a small amount to see if it could be used later for more. New card turned up 3 days later.

I have a theory the petrol station problems come from the traders copy of the credit card slip, because it has most of your details on it. They don't get the PIN or your security code number...but amazingly many companies will do transactions on the net without much security. They must lose thousands, because the banks can easily claim the money back if they've not initiated security checks.

Some garages are worse than others. Try to avoid those with a high concentration of staff originating from an island with a long terrorist/independence problem (depending on your viewpoint) as i understand that statistically that can be a problem. Of course not all people from that area are crooks.

Nicely put WP, i wonder if cash is making a comeback for this very reason.

I think i've only been caught without cash at a fuel station once in the last in the last 5 or so years, won't let it happen again either.

Credit Card Fraud - again. - Optimist
HJ used to be a bit doubtful about supermarket fuel in comparison with brands, but the supermarket garage is the only place I'll use a card these days. Otherwise it's cash especially if the garage may seem to be linked as Westpig suggests above.

I had a card cloned last year. Last places I'd used it were the National Trust and an ethnic restaurant.
Last places I'd used it were the National Trust and an ethnic restaurant.
>>
The National Trust really ought to sort its act out shouldn't it....:-)

In all seriousness though, I don't want my comments above to start an ethnic element to this thread. One thing i've learnt living in london for over 25 years is that ALL communities have their problems, some with concentrated pockets of various crimes. Generally the vast majority of human beings are thoroughly decent and it's the small percentage of 'lowlife' that cause the problems for the rest of us. Genuine statement, not a politically correct get out clause.
Fair point. I didn't want to start an ethnic slant either.

But there's nothing wrong with a bit of honesty and that's the only time I've had a card problem.
what sums it up for me was the fantastic time Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman had during the Long Way Round, in places that most of us would be quite worried about. In reality they were looked after and treated like family in some most inhospitable places. Really re-instilled my faith in human nature.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - Lud
Really re-instilled my faith in human nature.

You have sussed the whole point in proper travel Westpig. In difference, touching familiarity. Really makes a mark on the traveller.
Of course not all people from that area are crooks.

Indeed. Searching the subject on the internet will provide the official Police statements which suggest that quite often the employees in these establishments are at the mercy of their "masters" who exercise control over these employees using blackmail tactics - via threats to their family or via control over that person's "legal immigration status". The "masters" are not connected to the business except perhaps extracting "donations" or "protection money" in the way that the Mafia did in New York.

Just checked. It is all there on all mainstream news sites. Nothing "politically correct" about it.

Just try your favourite search engine for the words : UK tamil tigers petrol station credit card scam
First hit on my search news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6578595.stm
Credit Card Fraud - again. - BobbyG
I previously posted a thread on here which was linked to a newspaper article. In that case ot was Shell stations in Edinburgh and the con worked by bribing members of staff seriously large amounts of money to allow "alterations" to be made to the chip and pin reader.

I use Shell's own Citi card for all fuel transactions so if anything other than fuel appears on it, I will hopefully notice straight away.

What concerns me is the amount of call centres where you will need to give them all your info. I mean if I have to give them the card number, my address and the 3 digit security number then, hello, its not very secure anymore is it?
Credit Card Fraud - again. - ijws15
It seems to be that it is an accepted/acceptable situation that a certain amount of
fraud takes place.

Being provocative

It is just like speeding isn't it, and lots of people on here think that is OK.

Just shows how we want the freedom to choose which rules we follow but don't want to give others that same freedom.
ijws,

You're not by any chance a high ranking police officer in the northern part of lovely Wales are you?

Credit Card Fraud - again. - helicopter
My card was cloned a few years back and there was no doubt in my mind where it happened , it was a petrol station near Gatwick which I used regularly and the majority of the fraudulent transactions of around £ 4 K were made in Heathrow and Colombo Sri Lanka.

I was quite impressed with the CC company in the way they picked up the fraud quite quickly and apart from a bit of embarrassment top SWMBO when her card ( we have a joint account) was queried at the hairdressers , all was well and the money credited without question. Never heard any more and a new card arrived within three days.

I do now always accompany my card when paying for any transactions which has resulted in me following waiters into restaurant kitchens and behind the bar at a pub if to keep an eye on the card. If they don't like it I explain the reason and usually its OK.

Chip and Pin has improved matters but I am always extremely wary with my PIN number and sheild the keypad with my other hand when punching in the details.

I always check my CC statement for any 'unusual ' transactions and all my CC slips or any financial papers no longer required are shredded or pulped after checking.

It is just like speeding isn't it and lots of people on here think that is OK.
Just shows how we want the freedom to choose which rules we follow but don't
want to give others that same freedom.

there's a difference between some laws that are well overdue a review and are brought into disrepute when set poorly (whoever sets some local limits).. and laws that are glaringly obviously put there for a reason

i.e. it will always be an offence to commit theft/fraud and rightly so. Some speed limits (arguably) have fallen into disrepute because they're set artificially low and are a most blunt instrument ...e.g. 20mph limit for schools, when the schools are well and truly closed.

Please tell me you can see the diffeence and are just stirring up a debate?

Edited by Webmaster on 03/06/2008 at 17:54

Credit Card Fraud - again. - Robbie
I have just had a 'phone call from Saga asking if I had made a transaction with Carphone Warehouse. I hadn't of course, and I'm grateful that they were so quick to spot it.

What puzzles me is that I only use this card when I'm abroad, when I use it heavily, and recently for my ferry booking with LD LInes. The last time used it in France was to pay for diesel at Le Havre, in September, when I was on my way home.

Edited by Robbie on 03/06/2008 at 17:51

I would put it slightly differently Westpig. Offences involving dishonesty or deliberate injury to the person indicate moral turpitude or a dangerous lack of self-control. Speeding and parking offences don't. So there is, to a normally constituted person of more or less average intelligence, a radical difference between them which has nothing to do with that well-known ass, the law.
.. that well-known ass, the law

which good citizens like to respect and obey and hold in high regard [as is proven by the Police stats showing a reduction in crime ].

Speeding has gradations, as everything does! Some speeding indicates that testosterone is more in control than the cortex. Hopefully the fixed penalties (for minor beaches) and court process (for more significant breaches) help take the context into account.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - ijws15
I did add the comment - being provocative.

But . . .

Having also looked at the post on red lights, and seen how many of the smashed cars on wrecked exotics are speed related (i.e. going faster than the driver can cope) then what is the difference.

BTW if speed limits are reviewed then they will FALL, not rise! Think about it.

Both can lead to financial loss, one can lead to loss of life - doesn't that make speeding MORE serious than fraud where the only ones to suffer most times are the credit card companies and, after all, who really cares about them!

At the end of the day we cannot decide which laws we will obey and which we can ignore.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - Ian (Cape Town)
Locally, you can't use a CC for fuel.
I have a seperate petrocard, linked to the Visa card, which i can use for petrol, oil, servicing only.
The card can only be swiped once in an hour, to prevent dodginess, though it still goes on.
The one advantage is that I use only Caltex petrol stations - the Astra likes their fuel additives better, it seems - and get a record of transactions, all saing CALTEX WETLAND or CALTEX CITY 4 etc.
This helped a LOT a while back after filling up with Caltex's delightful petroleum/H20 combination one day...
"I have been using Caltex exclusively for over 4 years and can prove it..."
Car was fixed at their expense - none spared - and a very grovelly apology was forthcoming.
Credit Card Fraud - again. - Ed V
Mine was done in John Lewis, Kingston recently - a [formerly now!] inside job.
Had a fraud on my VISA debit card yesterday. Got up early to see the detail of the transaction. Card used with firm in Bolton that deals on internet and delivers via courier. Rang Greater Manchester Police. Spoke to civilian. Asked if they had a fraud section. Civilian seemed uncertain so asked to speak to policeman or woman.

Spoke to sergeant and suggested that if they moved swiftly they could get delivery address from firm and arrest someone. He was more interested in getting me to follow "protocol" and speak to his civilian colleague until he recalled that I didn't live in his area at which point he told me to contact my local police. Happy to give me name and badge number.

Contacted local police. Told what sergeant had said wasn't true. Details taken. Crime number given. Suggested if someone moved today copper could turn up instead of courier with goods.
Got nowhere. Told bank has to investigate fraud before police. Probably so. Would pass details on to fraud "specialist".

Blood pressure currently 256 over 255. This country is absolutely done for.

Edited by Optimist on 06/06/2008 at 11:52

Told bank has to investigate fraud before police. Probably so.

Makes sense. The fraud is committed against the party that pays. If the Bank does not pay the firm in Bolton, then that firm is the victim. "Your" debit card is simply the conduit [ I said "your" because I would not be surprised if the terms & conditions probably say somewhere that it the Bank's property and not "yours" ].

Money went from my account. The firm already has the money. At the moment the fraud is against me. I'm the victim. Unless the firm's been negligent they will keep the money, the fraudster will keep the goods (because I can't get the coppers to get off their backsides) and the bank will re-imburse me.

And that costs all of us in bank charges etc.
Optimist,

All over the country detectives have a stack of crimes allocated to them that are too numerous for them to deal with properly, so they prioritise as best they can.

All over the country, police control rooms have important 'Immediate' calls stacked up with not enough officers to respond, let alone the 'Soon' ones. It's not uncommon to have page after page after page of 'S' calls, which is why some take many days to get to.

Ultimately your crime will be one with a bank or company as a fraud victim. Nowadays that is not a police priority.

I'd agree that's not right in the big scheme of things, but that's how it is, there's no point moaning at those who are desperately trying to make the system work. Aim it at those that can change it... i.e. politicians.
Westpig

I am going to moan to politicians. I'll let you know how I get on.

This morning might have given someone an easy arrest. Heigh-ho. I imagine there were some anti-diversity "crimes" to deal with.

My wife is looking over my shoulder saying she thought this was about cars. She's right. That's the end of this topic for me.

If "your" card is used fraudulently for fuel or car related purchases [or for that matter, any other purchases], the following points are worth noting:

1. The Bank will have a clause such as this in its T&C: "If someone carries out a fraudulent transaction using your card details on the internet or by telephone or mail order you will not be liable for the fraudulent transaction." This right is enshrined in English Law [maybe in other UK jurisdictions too] and spelt out in the Banking Code.

2. If you think it is "your" card, remember the Bank will have a clause such as this in tits T&C : "We own the card and if we ask, you must return it to us immediately (cut in half through the signature box and magnetic strip, and if you have a chip card ensure the chip is cut in half). We, or anyone acting for us, may keep the card at any time. For example, we may withdraw a card and instruct any third party to keep hold of it if you try to use it."

3. If the local Police are not interested in following up the fraud, who should you contact: As this report today says, your best hope is that when it happens to you, you can take part in the trial being conducted by City of London Police, see
www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/06/national_fraud_pr.../

4. If you think that the Police are not taking these crimes seriously, they think otherwise: "It is widely accepted that fraud causes significant harm to the UK, indeed the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) recognises this as a priority area"
www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/Fraud%20in%20...f

Bringing this to the top of the pile again.

When I spoke to my local police call centre today, the bloke told me the 2006 Fraud Act says the bank investigates card fraud before the police do. Sounded odd and I asked him to confirm, which he did.

I've looked at the Act tonight and can't see that.

Westpig? Midlifecrisis? Any thoughts?
Seems likely that the bank can point plod electronically in the right direction fairly promptly.
the 2006 Fraud Act says the bank investigates card fraud before the police do. Sounded odd and I asked him to confirm, which he did.

Many stories of this abound. Easiest to link to are:
www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/21831...s
www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/21882...e
www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-loans/idfraud/art...9

Thanks both.
For what it's worth I think it IS something police should be dealing with....however..
the reality is there is little leeway to do it.... and like everything, if you have to prioritise, something will drop off the bottom

I just spoke to my local police again about this having got some further info from the retailer.

It's not a cloned card. It's identity fraud. I thought the police would want to know this but they weren't interested and told me that the reference I'd been given yesterday wasn't a crime reference. It was just to record the conversation.

They didn't record incidents like this as crime. No wonder crime is falling when it's not recorded.

So ok gentlemen of the police service. Justify that.

Edited by Optimist on 07/06/2008 at 12:26

So ok gentlemen of the police service. Justify that.

I can't justify much of it, not at all. All i can do though is tell you of the realities, which is not laziness, incompetence etc....but, such severe workloads for those left dealing with things like this, that some stuff has got to be dropped. Simple as that.

It's a matter of priorities set by politicians in conjunction with very senior police managers. In reality the police, as a service, try to do too much and end up scratching the surface on things and therefore not providing much quality.

If you take Safer Neighbourhoods as an example. It is staff intensive and those police officers had to come from somewhere, so they are now no longer available to be used as response police officers. They are 'ring fenced' and have to be left alone. Then there's the PCSOs that earn not far off the starting salary of a new police officer. They deal with low level issues such as anti-social behaviour, graffiti etc. It has been a success, the public like it....BUT... it has created a void. Low level issues are dealt with by the SNTs, really serious crime is still dealt with by detectives etc..but...the stuff in the middle, forget it. Who is their to deal? No one. Response team officers are running around like blue fluffy dice flies dealing with 999 calls and similar.

There are numerous other examples e.g. Community Safety Units (deal exclusively with homophobic, racial, domestic violence matters). Not saying their work isn't important, but again creates a void.

There are many many other examples.

Edited by Webmaster on 08/06/2008 at 01:13

I can see all about workloads and that you have to use your resources as directed.

But surely you have to record record crime when a member of the public reports it whether or not you have the time to do anything about it?
Optimist,

Fair point. Not my area of expertise, but suggest it's on the 'too difficult pile' because where was the cloning offence committed? Who takes responsibilty to investigate it? If the 'cloner' commits offences all over the shop, would each individual 'fraud' be investigated by each individual police area?

Probably not the answer you're looking for, probably unprofessional, but if in the big scheme of things lower level fraud is being quietly dropped investigations wise and indeed the govt have even legislated to put the emphasise back on the financial institutions, then presumably that'll be why.
Thanks for the eminently sane response.

My local police call centre (I can't believe I've just typed that) directed me to the identity-theft website.

There's nothing in the Fraud Act 2006. What it seems to come down to is that ACPO and the banking industry have agreed that fraud and identity theft are only recorded as crime when reported by the banks.

Now I'm a cycnic, but it's not in the interest of the banking industry to let on that it can't counteract card fraud, is it? So they probably report only in mega cases and write the rest off, crediting the punter's account. And the Police Service can tell us that recorded crime has gone down. Which it will do if you don't record it. So it's a bit you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

The identity theft site estimates the cost of such fraud at £1.3bn per year. Don't know when that figure was recorded. But it must represent an awful lot of individual crimes so you can see why the Home Office would rather pretend the problem didn't exist.
>>My CC has been hit for three fraudulant transactions in very rapid order in the USA.
>>My CC co identified it, contacted me 09:00 the next morning a credited all ££s back instantly. The transaction were not for large sums.

An update.
I now have my monthly statement.
There were four not three transactions and the total was over $2000USD
$100, $500, $1100 and $500.
The lower $ were credited back but not the $1100. I queried this and now have a letter to sign saying "Not my transaction" I am not sure if the letter was triggered because the sum involved was more than £500.

I have also pointed out to them that their basic "refund" procedure is not acceptable.
They have "credited" back the individual amount in $$s and then applied the current exchange rate so I am obviously not prepared to pay the difference in the exchange rates.
I cannot believe this procedure is new so I guess many have just paid up the difference when the statement arrived. So beware in case your CC is treated the same way.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - henry k
Yet again at our local Shell station.

At least 180 reported offences.
Two friends have had their cards cloned. One card is only ever used at that location so he has no doubt of where his card was cloned.
Police said overall up 40 people work there so it takes time to investigate.

As reported by our local police officer
hinchleywood.org.uk/da/42714

Included was a useful tip
"There was a warning to be alert to for objects (e.g. a single training shoe) left outside properties, which may be a device to ascertain whether the residents are around (i.e. if the object is left undisturbed) before a burglary is attempted"
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - drbe
My card was cloned at a Shell garage on the Fairmile in Cobham last year.

It sounds as though they haven't given up? (sorry to state the obvious).

I wrote to Shell Head Office last year and got a very bland letter back - so now I don't buy fuel at Shell garages.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - oldnotbold
And your local paper;

www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2048701_petrol_station_...m
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Ben 10
I had a debit card cloned at a Shell garage a few years ago. Up to £500 spent in India before my card was stopped. I only use cash to purchase fuel now, and so should you all.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - ifithelps
... I only use cash to purchase fuel now, and so should you all....

My card has just been 'done' and I plan to use cash for fuel and other purchases in future.

Four transactions, total of about £675.

I'm told by the bank I have to claim the money back, and in the meantime I have no access to the £675.

Happily, I have enough liquid funds to get by, but it would be all the same if I didn't and I needed the £675 to pay the mortgage/utility bills, buy food, etc.

Every card transaction you make - Shell garage or not - puts your details at risk.

I think the moral of the story is go back to using cash.

Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - woodster
The victim of the fraud is the bank/credit card supplier, not you. If you have difficulty with the bank, go to the banking ombudsman. I reminded my bank that I was their customer, and not their little runner, when they wanted me to report fraud to the Police.

On another occasion when my bank failed to pay a standing order for 6 months leaving me a little embarrassed, they tried to throw the problem back at me for failing to check my statements. Since I had their letter confirming the standing order was set up, the responsibility to pay is theirs. Again, I reminded them that I was the customer, and that I pay for the banking service. Their rudeness fired me up to go to the ombudsman. £250 awarded (paid by my bank) for my embarrassment.

Your account is not owned by you, it's a convenient method for the bank to detail what happens to your balance daily and apply charges as agreed, but you don't own it, it merely refers to your transactions. Any fraud on the account doesn't become your responsibility to sort out, nor, as I've said before, are you the victim. You don't provide the administrative computer functions for the account and if the security is weak in some way this isn't your responsibility. Provided you follow the agreement in your banking contract you can happily take any problems to the ombudsman who will likely be most helpful.

Sorry to bang on but this is a bit of a pet hate of mine. I've seen countless people running around for their bank in these circumstances, not to mention being very worried, when they actually need do very little.
woodster,

Thanks for that - your post provides a perspective I had not considered.

I have to call into the bank next week to fill in a form and I think that should do it.

The staff in the branch have been reasonably helpful, although they lack the authority to do very much.

All matters seem to be handled by the 'fraud team', or 'debit card services', both of which are on the other end of a telephone line.

Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - AshT
My debit card was cloned last year - I had a letter from the bank asking me to call their fraud department urgently, which I did after checking the number on the letter was genuine. The fraud department went through a few questions, and having made sure that I hadn't been in Poland in the last few days told me my card had been cloned and money withdrawn from a cash machine in Warsaw.

I had to go my branch to fill in a form - had to provide ID as usual, but the form was straightforward and the staff member who dealt with me was very helpful. The money was back in my account within a week with no problems. The person in the branch was very honest about the system - the chip and pin system apparently is not anywhere near to being as secure as claimed, and fraud through cloned cards is a big problem. Her advice was not to use chip and pin machines or even cash machines if possible - withdraw cash from the bank and make all purchases with that (of course it could have been an attempt to safeguard jobs at the branch).

For what it's worth by the way, it was almost certain that my card had been cloned at the petrol station attached to a local supermarket - several other customers had had similar experiences.

Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - henry k
>>I'm told by the bank I have to claim the money back, and in the meantime I have no access to the £675.
>>
I never use a debit card for anything and thus any possible fraud is on my CC.
This avoids my bank account being sucked dry and the CC company will suspend any dodgy transactions so I do not have to pay.
I accept that sometimes I have to pay a CC charge ( IIRC in the old days there was much publicity re charging for such transactions) .
With the track record of my local Shell station being so bad I now use cash there.
...I never use a debit card for anything and thus any possible fraud is on my CC...

More wise words.

I think I started to use the debit card in the days when supermarkets would not accept credit cards.

These days for purchases under, say £100, I don't think there's any practical difference, it's just a card.

So my anti-fraud plan now is use cash, if not, use credit card, and treat debit card almost as a last resort.

The other conclusion is there is a thief on every street corner in modern Britain.

Very heartening - not.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - drbe
>>With the track record of my local Shell station being so bad I now use
cash there.

>>

Forgive me, but why not purchase fuel elsewhere?
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Ben 10
Its not just shell. It happens at all types of garage. Its the people they employ in them.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - RickyBoy
I concur wholeheartedly with the learned gentleman.

DON'T EVER purchase fuel with anything other than cash at the Shell station on the A422 (H4) Milton Keynes (heading eastwards betwixt the Blakelands & Tongwell Industry areas)!

I lost £30 last November. I recovered it easily enough but it's hassle that you can do without.

The filling-station is staffed exclusively by the usual (allegedly) Tamil Tiger supporting brigade, etc., repeat to fade...

...trouble is, I've always preferred to use Shell in the vRS, but it's CASH, CASH, CASH every time for me for fuel these days ? no matter where I am in the UK.
Meant to say V4 not H4!

I've only lived here for the past 30-years so it's an easy mistake to make...
...actually, it's the H3 (Monks Way/A422)!!! It really, really, really is because I drove past it this morning and checked.

I know it doesn't matter but my error has been troubling me all day and I simply wanted to put the record straight. End of, hah...
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - ChrisMo
Interesting, mine and 2 friends all had fraudulent transactions recently, we all buy fuel here..

Chris
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Mr X
Look up above the Chip and Pin machine... can you see a tiny dot in the ceiling ?. Thats a little camera recording the number you punch in. Lean right over the machine if in any doubt.

This spy cam thing was used at a Shell Station in Liverpool leading to the garage being shut and the owners prosecuted and imprisoned a few years back.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - captain chaos
I always shield the keypad with one hand when keying in my pin no.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - gordonbennet
Strewth is there no end to the scams.

I've been a cash buyer where possible at certain types of outlets for years because of this very thing, seems many are now doing the same.

TBH it's not the point if the bank wears the loss, the fact that these jokers get away with it grates me, so i try not to help them in any way, if cash deny's them their ill gotten gains...good.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - bell boy
i spent 400 english pounds in a very well known electrical store not so long ago and the cashier didnt know how to handle real money in that amount and had to call the supervisor,i felt like a leper
when im paid cash at work it really winds me up when the last 20 in each neat little pile of 100 is folded over a different way and the customer says count it
you have to laugh because you know theyve counted it a thousands times before
women with large wads in brown envelopes always make me laugh they are scared witless after leaving the bank with the lolly and expect a whole army of thieves to stop them midway on the way to me
last week someone tried to convince me a credit card cheque was better than cash and i would be a fool not to take it there and then and let a car go

oh yes cash is still king
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - b308
Choice between wandering the mean streets of our towns and cities with hundreds of pounds in cash or a debit card?

Card any time, thanks... It never fails to amaze me how many old dears draw out several hundred quid in cash at the post office and then wander out onto the streets... then I read threads like this and see how they have been persuaded that cash is somehow "safer"... Perhaps if they'd read the mugging statistics instead they might change their mind...

I agree that fraud happens, but personally I'd rather have a card on me than large amounts of cash...
What are the mugging stats then b308? How many old ladies are being mugged coming away from the post office?

Fear of crime is often worse than the facts.
What are the mugging stats then b308?

Fair cop! Just a generalisation like many others do! - but there are plenty of muggings/thefts... whether there are more than CC/DC frauds and if they affect more people is perhaps a point which needs to be looked at... My own view is one is probably just as likely as the other, unless you are careful... which leads us onto:
Fear of crime is often worse than the facts.

Which is the crux - everything you do is a calculated risk, in the case of cash vs cards I personally prefer cards... my wife had her handbag stolen in Leicester, no loss from the cards, but we lost over £30 in cash, luckily she takes the same view as I and prefers to use cards... if we had taken the advice of many of the previous posters we'd have lost much more... and at least with CC fraud you have some chance of getting your money back, with cash you haven't a hope in hell... I rest my case, m'lud!
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - jbif
What are the mugging stats then b308? >>
Fear of crime is often worse than the facts. >>

Indeed, Woodster, what are the real mugging stats?

As Stephen Pollard pointed out in July 2008 in The Spectator:
"Next time you hear .... someone .... try to dismiss fear of crime as a media panic, remember this: statistics can be used to support almost any argument. But the truth will always out."

And this is from Hansard: 14 Mar 2007 : Column 133WH
"The latest British crime survey also estimated that just 21 per cent. of actual muggings make it into recorded figures .... "

...better than cash...

That's as close to a profanity as could be allowed on here.

Nothing, repeat nothing, is better than cash.
In some cases I'd agree that cash is more convenient, but when dealing in or carrying larger sums I don't agree...

But we are all entitled to our own views... In this case there's no right answer, its more personal preference... in either case its how careful you are that matters most.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - CGNorwich
Nothing, repeat nothing, is better than cash.

But check that it is the genuine variety - Over 500,000 forged 20 pound notes were withdrawn from circulation in 2005. Would be wary about accepting a bundle of cash without time to check it very carefully

Edited by CGNorwich on 24/05/2009 at 20:17

Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Westpig
my wife doesn't like cash....judging by the fact she never seems to have any on her
As Stephen Pollard pointed out in July 2008 in The Spectator:
"Next time you hear .... someone .... try to dismiss fear of crime as a media panic, remember this: statistics can be used to support almost any argument. But the truth will always out."

And this is from Hansard: 14 Mar 2007 : Column 133WH
"The latest British crime survey also estimated that just 21 per cent. of actual muggings make it into recorded figures .... "

Jbif - I never said it was media panic, I said it was fear of crime. Never said what drove that fear. And anyway, who is Steven Pollard? Expert? or commentator??

The BCS. Exactly that, a survey of people on the street. From where do they gain their expertise to estimate that 21 % of muggings are unreported?. Don't tell me it's from the people on the street surveyed because they'd include those in the BCS figures themselves; it's how they get their figures. Sounds like some guesswork. Which, of course, is what 'estimated' means, unless they care to qualify the estimate.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Fullchat
I've mentioned it before. The BCS is all about 'confidence'. Confidence is not tangible, its how someone feels at the time they partake in the survey. So say that day a young person is shot on the streets in Manchester then it has a ripple effect on 'confidence'in every town in the country when in reality in most places gun crime is not on the radar.
'Satisfaction' is tangible. It is something that can be established from anyone who has had a service or contact. Those figures are well above 60%( depending what area is being measured). However that is not how the Police are monitored. I wonder why????
How are the Police 'monitored' then?
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Fullchat
The flavour of this year is 'Citizen Focus', the last few years have all been about 'sanctioned detections'. We must strive to improve our performance as measured by the BCS and as I say that's all about 'confidence'.

We accept that we are subject to performance monitoring but lets be monitored on something that is tangible like 'satisfaction'.

Does that answer your question?
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - jbif
The BCS is all about 'confidence'. Confidence is not tangible, its how someone feels at the time they partake in the survey >>

Stephen Pollard's article in The Spectator said:
" The figures for crime recorded by the police are very misleading because they only take into account, as is clear from their name, those crimes which are actually reported to the police.
On the other hand, the British Crime Survey is based on 47,000 people who are asked about their experience of crime. So, in theory, it's a better guide to the true level of crime than the police's figures. But it, too, is still deeply flawed.
For one thing, the British Crime Survey is hamstrung because its researchers only interview people who are prepared to discuss the problem - and they are hard to find in high-crime, inner-city areas.
Worse, the survey doesn't count more than five repeat violent crimes against a victim. So, if someone is repeatedly mugged, not only might the crimes never be recorded because the victim was never included in the survey, but even if he was, the number of crimes would be under-counted.
Thus one university criminologist has calculated that the total number of violent crimes committed against adults is likely to be 80 per cent higher than the figure recorded by the British Crime Survey.
Ridiculously, the BCS figures also fail to include any crimes involving a victim aged less than 16. Whereas other independent research shows that one in four children between 12 and 16 has been a victim of crime.
Nor does it include crimes related to illegal drug use, sexual offences, crimes against commercial victims (such as vandalism and van thefts), murder or shoplifting. ...

1) where's the evidence that victims willing to talk are hard to find in high crime, inner city areas?
2) How do you know they're high crime areas if no-one's talking?
3)How do we know there are victims with more than 5 repeat offences if they're not recorded?
4) And so a huge leap to the prof's conclusion.
5) Since the BCS fails to include juvenile victims perhaps we should look to the police figures-they do record juvenile victims!

The power of the printed word.
thing is woodster Stephen Pollard and his ilk dont write 5 words when 19 will do
i dont bother reading his offerings for this reason
im a cut to the chase man with facts but to the point
we could all waffle all day if we were getting paid by the word
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Lud
1) where's the evidence that victims willing to talk are hard to find in high crime, inner city areas?

Perhaps it's more that it is hard to find a person in 'high crime inner city areas' capable of making a meaningful utterance in any human language. Quite a lot don't even try. I'd say they were cattle, but mute rats or ferrets would be nearer the mark. Cattle are fairly amiable and innocent creatures after all.

Don't bother to criticise my attitudes. I know they sometimes leave a bit to be desired.

i think you are right Lud..........innit
Someone further up the thread, might even have been me, said credit cards are now accepted in supermarkets.

Maybe, but not in Aldi.

Happily, they don't have filling stations and I'd only checked out about £22-worth of food so I was able to scrape that together in cash.

The assistant was very pleasant, they usually are in Aldi.

New debit card arrived over the weekend.

Hopefully, I'll only need to pay one visit to the bank and my little brush with card crime will be sorted.

A final thought - either me, or the bank if I get the money back, have had more than £600 stolen.

Is this theft recorded on any crime stats?

Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Falkirk Bairn
Someone further up the thread might even have been me said credit cards are now
accepted in supermarkets.
Maybe but not in Aldi.

Aldi take my mastercard well they did last week at least.
..Aldi take my mastercard well they did last week at least...

Interesting.

I put my Visa credit card into the machine, it rejected it and the assistant told me they don't take credit cards.

Maybe there are local variations.

I was in Yorkshire - is 'your' Aldi in Scotland, FB?

Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Falkirk Bairn
Aldi Scotland take CC as well as debit cards
people that fear crime the most are not normally the ones that have the most to fear from crime

the elderly fear crime...and most of us understand why...but usually they are tucked up in bed when the 'real' stuff is going on, the odd pension foray puts them at risk, but many have got strategies to sort that out....

inner city young lads physically relieved of their phones/i-pods/latest gadget/pocket money are the real victims of street robbery..yet quite often, they don't fear crime

Edited by Westpig on 25/05/2009 at 20:29

'inner city young lads physically relieved of their phones/i-pods/latest gadget/pocket money are the real victims of street robbery..yet quite often, they don't fear crime'...

When something becomes an every day occurrence, we tend not to fear it.
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Optimist
Having just watched the BBC2 surveillance programme, I thought I'd post on this topic while still wearing the tin-foil helmet.

If all the surveillance and monitoring we've got is as useful as it's supposed to be, why is credit card fraud - much of which occurs in cardholder not present transactions via computer or telephone - continuing to increase?

If all the surveillance and monitoring we've got is as useful as it's supposed to
be why is credit card fraud - much of which occurs in cardholder not present
transactions via computer or telephone - continuing to increase?

it's on the too difficult pile in terms of 'who is going to deal with it'

contrary to popular belief, there are not armies of people available to view all the footage
Credit Card Fraud - again. Hinchley Wood, Esher - Optimist
contrary to popular belief, there are not armies of people available to view all the footage>>

Pretty much what I thought. So all of the fuss from the government is meaningless and the info is just being collected on the off-chance and/or to make a bit of cheap TV.

It makes me think of a computer with a huge memory but little processing power to do anything useful with the data.

Seems to be plenty of people available to view the footage from speed cameras, bus lane cameras, traffic light cameras...........
Seems to be plenty of people available to view the footage from speed cameras bus
lane cameras traffic light cameras...........

>>
there's revenue to be had from that....vast majority civilianised or local authority or similar, so it's cost effective (and 'no' I don't agree with it)

to investigate credit card fraud there'd need to be either a police investigation or the financial house themselves investigate it, via their fraud team

police have other priorities, more often than not nowadays dictated by central govt and they know there's an alternative i.e. the bank fraud team...financial groups no doubt don't consider it cost effective
Credit Card Fraud - again. - Falkirk Bairn
Somebody tried to buy a motorbike for £4,000 on my son's CC.

CC Co intercepted and refused to authorise on the basis it was out of my son's spending pattern and area - KENT and we are Scotland based!

No idea of where it was cloned but lots of Foreign staff at a hotel he uses through the week (in England)
Credit Card Fraud - again. - pmh3
Surely you are not implying that english (foreign staff to you ) would clone the card? ;)

Can we have a bit more info, FB?

Since your son's card is CHIP & PIN the dodgy transaction must be a customer not present, I assume, since the clone won't include the PIN.

So was someone trying to buy the bike on the phone or something?

Credit Card Fraud - again. - Fullchat
It really wouldn't be too difficult to sting these scammers at point of delivery. Certainly in the UK.

Edited by Fullchat on 01/08/2009 at 19:06