What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Spacious & high five seater? - Happy Blue!
SWMBO is thinking about replacing our Hyundai Trajet with something smaller, but still large enough for a growing family of five. This would mean we require the following items: -

# three separate seats in the back (rather than a bench, where the middle passenger is an afterthought)

# Steering wheel controls of the radio

# A higher than standard driving position

# A nice gap between the two front seats enabling smaller people to walk through from front passenger seat to rear area, the gap unencumbered by handbrakes, gear levers etc, and permitting the safe storage of a hangbag out of reach of theiving scrotes who might normally break a window, lean in and grab hadbag from front pasenger seat.

The best example of the latter in a five seater was our old Honda CRV and the Trajet has that as well. I would prefer not to go down the 4WD route if possible but apart from the Mazda5, do not know other contenders well enough to comment. We want petrol, automatic and enough grunt to get a loaded car down to London from Manchester with ease. Oh and it has to be stylish!

Any ideas?
Spacious & high five seater? - Avant
I can't think of anything smaller than a CRV or Trajet which would satisfy your point 4.

Mazda 5, Renault Scenic and Toyota Verso would cope with the first three: maybe have a good look at those and seen if the space in any of them comes near what you want. I abhor electronic handbrakes but the Scenic has one and it might suit your particular needs.
Spacious & high five seater? - davmal
Whilst the Mazda will seat 5 in the back, you would not want to put three in the middle row for a long journey. The middle, middle seat is rather narrow, not very comfortable and unsuitable for a child restraint system (booster or child seat). We use ours with the middle seat folded (neatly)away and the seat back drops down to form an arm rest. Depending on the age/size of your children I would test a 5 out thoroughly, with all prospective occupants present.
Had a look at the Verso and was very pleased with it apart from a puny towing limit.
Spacious & high five seater? - rogue-trooper
The Renault Scenic might fit the bill. I have only ever driven hire cars that were 1.5 diesels.

The other car that might be perfect apart from on the size front is the Ford S-Max. Quite a wide beast but stylish, and because of the width, it has 3 decent seats in the back. Only had the 1.8 diesel on hire.
Spent a lot of time on line last night looking at various manufacturers websites. Most are more stylish than actually giving you information and interior views of the cars, but it seems that very few cars now have nothing between the front seats. All have some large console/box in which to put stuff, but where to women put their handbags if they don't want them stolen and don't want them round their necks whilst driving?

Bring back the Mk1 CRV!
Spacious & high five seater? - movilogo
Chevrolet Captiva
Hyundai Santa Fe
Suzuki Grand Vitara

Not sure about the middle row seats though.

Edited by movilogo on 30/05/2008 at 13:35

Spacious & high five seater? - mark999
VW Caravelle or Transporter shuttle perhaps If you can afford the high price

Mark
Spacious & high five seater? - Gromit {P}
Thinking laterally about the handbag space, doesnt' the Nissan Note have a lifting swab on the passenger seat with a cubby inside for bags? I have a feeling the Honda FRV and Fiat Multipla have something similar.

In any case, bag spaces etc will depend on the trim level, not just the model of car, so you may do well to spend a Saturday morning hunting around showrooms for ideas.
Yes - I think you may be right about needing to have some quality time with a car salesman!
Spacious & high five seater? - Bromptonaut
The ubiquitous Berlingo covers most of the bases except for the walkthrough feature (why's that needed?). Handbags go in the drawer under the front pax seat.

Oh, its not stylish!!
Spacious & high five seater? - jbif
Spacious & high five seater?

6 seater Honda FRV with front middle seat removed [don't know if it can be done though] to get your walkthrough?
Well after a day in the courtesy Citroen C1, she now wants a small car! C1 too small (no fifth seat belt) but something with style and pizazz. Mazda2 I suggested and she likes the idea. Lets see.......

I think we will be fighting as to who drives the small car and who drives the Outback at this rate. I hade great fun in the C1, even if I had reservations about certain aspects.
Take her to a Suzuki showroom, where she can look at the Swift, Splash and SX4, any of which might tick at least some of the boxes while still being small.

Otherwise Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris 1.3 or as you say Mazda 2. Fiat Pandas aren't built in Italy and seem to have fewer problems than other Fiats - also they're quite tall.

One final thought - you might get a better price for the Trajet against another Hyundai - i30 perhaps.
Spacious & high five seater? - MVP
Saw a Suzuki Swift (red, sports version) in a car park over the weekend - very tasty

MVP
She is fickle my wife. Took her to the Suzuki showroom, but she was not taken in by the Splash or the SX4 (I liked the former but was disappointed by the latter). The Swift is great, but for some reason, she has said no to even looking at one. I have persuaded her to look at a Yaris, but downloading all the stuff off the 'net, it seems that the Mazda2 Sport is better value for money than the Yaris T-Spirit. The Hyundai i10 is too small (but she liked it) and the i30 is too big. Kia Rio is perfect size but 'no style'.

We are away for the next week, so when we come back we shall see what she thinks then....

Edited by Espada III {P} on 02/06/2008 at 22:48

The Yaris TR is much better value than the T Spirit - indeed all T Spirits in the Toyota range are quite a lot more expensive than other models for mainly cosmetic differences (with the Prius T Spirit you get satnav, but the differetial is even greater, naturally).
I have just been looking at the TR, T3 and T-Spirit specs. The TR and T3 specs look identical except for the TR having alloys and yet is about £600 cheaper. Why?
Just answered my own question at the Toyota dealers. T3 not selling well (too expensive) so produce a value model (TR) with similar spec but add alloys and drop £600 off the price. Wanted a test drive, but local dealer did not have one 1.3 model to drive. Crazy.

Anyway managed to drive a Mazda2 Sport which was very nice indeed and SWMBO liked it as well. It has a really great gearshift which has a very short throw and small lever on the dashboard. Really nice. But I think the Yaris may have better access to the rear, as it has sliding rear seats and with the seats in the rearmost position there is loads of room and the boot isn't too small either. We shall see properly when we get a test drive.

In the meantime the Citroen C1 we have temporarily is giving us sheds loads of fun and at about 50mpg for town driving, we are really impressed. If they did a version with five seatbelts (Three in the rear) we would have one like a shot. It is such fun to drive. It just feels so honest about what it is that we just love it.

I just hope whatever we choose out of the Yaris and M2 that we have as much fun.