'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - legacylad
My girlfriends 17 yr old daughter will shortly be sitting her driving test. Assuming she passes, she will doubtless be wanting a car, and mum's company car does not allow her to be added to the policy (phew!).
With a budget of £2k max ( I only paid £995 for my own car) what, in the world of teenage girls, constitutes a cool car?
My own thoughts were along the lines of an old LandRover or Almera. Many, many years ago I was over the moon to buy my own clapped out Mini Clubman when I was her age...any suggestions for a reliable first car with the all important 'street cred'...how times have changed. Doubtless minor bumps and scrapes will ensue.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - FotheringtonThomas
Corsa.
Clio.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - gsb
Polo (in black, as my 17 yr old daughter advised )
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - gordonbennet
Strangely enough i suggested a defender to my 21 year old daughter, and she's not interested.

Just goes to show i know nothing....no change there then.

Could be entering realms of label kudos here, bit like the trainer shoe, in which case i definately know nothing.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - TimOrridge
Some thing with cheap and easy replacable bumpers and no more than 500 pound

MK 3 astra diesel?
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Garethj
Focus, in a cool colour with big alloys, might just get one for £2k?

Leaving enough for the pink steering wheel cover and half a dozen fuzzy dolls stuck in the rear window ;-)
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - oldnotbold
Insurance will be a significant amount on any car above group 3. Use HJ's insurance group info above to find low ranked cars, and then test these using confused.com or moneysupermarket.com

Cool = expensive in most cases.

HJ might suggest the Corsa 1.0 12V. Should get one for your budget.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - TimOrridge
Big alloys are just the typical image of a young driver. That image that drives up insurance claims and premuims. Firsy time ins is going to be high anyway for a first driver let alone alloys. My advice is keep it cheap and simple, remember you dont stop learning after passing the test.
Yes Garethj, the word pink was mentioned. I thought she was joking, but now I'm not so sure.
Clio, Almera and Corsa were my 'obvious' choices, and I have yet to suggest the LandRover route.Astra estate (diesel) sounds a good idea.
A simple observation:- nice, when a Yoof, to get what one wants, and not what someone else thinks one wants.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - pendulum
Ford KA of course!
Don't forget to do PassPlus - good training, and often attracts a discount on insurance.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Mapmaker
I wouldn't go with the Defender. If - or when, most of us did - she crashes, that's a hell of a lot of metal to drive into somebody else's Fiesta. Causing death by dangerous driving ain't popular with the courts. The bigger your weapon, the more likely it is.

I still think my luckiest escape of my life was that nobody was standing in the way when I spun off an icy road shortly after passing.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - MVP
I wouldn't go with the Defender. If - or when most of us did -
she crashes that's a hell of a lot of metal to drive into somebody else's
Fiesta. Causing death by dangerous driving ain't popular with the courts. The bigger your weapon
the more likely it is.
I still think my luckiest escape of my life was that nobody was standing in
the way when I spun off an icy road shortly after passing.

Agree with Mapmaker, last Sunday morning at 1 am , a 17 year old put his car into a tree (and died) near where we live - thank goodness he didn't hit anyone else.

MVP
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - bathtub tom
In my experience, cool is whatever her 'friends' think is cool at any particular time.

My daughter was determined to get an Estelle when she passed her test. We got one as a second car. She paid half of all costs (all her own damage - concentrates the mind wonderfully). It was so uncool it seemed to exceed coolness. It did stretch my mechanic skills. It seemed that if a part of it could go wrong, then it would go wrong. A very good design that I think was let down by materials and processes. What other car at the time had unequal length front wishbones, four-pot calipers and semi-trailing arm rear suspension, apart from Porsche?
Thanks for your comments Mapmaker and MVP. It was always at the back of my mind that a Defender was a lot of metal for a 17year old to be driving. In mitigation, I owned an old 2 1/4 LWB petrol decades ago, and it taught me all about anticipation and handling skills, reinforced by my more recent 15 year old Defender. After due consideration, I shall not suggest an old Defender.
I look forward to an interesting chat to hear her definition of 'cool'.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Mapmaker
She also wouldn't have any hope of changing a wheel!

The brakes are heavy and slow, the stopping distance is longer than for a car. It all reduces the safety margins for other road users. Unless she's quite a lass, I guess it would also have her in tears trying to park it. A pal of mine at school had one (to be fair, I think it was a series II). He had to give it up when his younger sister (who was no wuss) started to drive as she could barely turn the ignition key, let alone operate the clutch.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Optimist
My daughter, bit older than 17, has a Y plate Micra in a "cute" duck egg blue colour. Been a great, easy, reliable car for her.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Whisky
I dont know many 17 year olds who could afford to fuel a Landrover, I know I couldn't have done when I was that age, at current prices any road.

I would advise to take that into account as well. Something small is always "cool"

To understand Cool we must understand Teenagers, Popular things are cool, most teenages have small cars therefore small cars are "Cool" I think. :-/
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - gordonbennet
Just to voice a rearguard defence of the defender.

Its full time 4wd, dont think she'll be spinning off anywhere.

IIRC they are group 2 or something like insurance, NFU would insure very cheaply, power steering, good mirrors etc, no one will bully her on the road, and it will run all day on some filtered oil from the chip shop.

Other than that jolly silly idea, i'll go wear a pointy hat in the corner....again.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - sass
Remember never to confuse 4wd with unlimited grip. A patch of Ice, oil or standing water does not care how many driven wheel you car has. Better option is to improve driving skills through pass plus then you will be safer no matter what you drive.

My 1.0 corsa wasnt cool for a lad but served me well and kept me safe for the first 2 year after passing my test and at £1400 a year insurance I had few other choices. Some of the girls from college did however really like the car because of the blue colour so maybe "cool" could be just picking the right colour for her?

'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - doctorchris
Fiat Cinquecento, especially the Sport model in bright yellow, Seicento or old model Panda.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - SlidingPillar
While I drive a Defender 110, the weight of such things needs to be allowed for, and as it can next to no effect, or a lot of it (icy slippery slopes etc) I'd not recommend one to a new driver.

My next door neighbours have his and hers Nissan Micras (old shape) and as far as I can tell, they are are disgustingly reliable. The now defunct Car and Car Conversions rated their handling as being good as well. While you may have problems convincing her, "its an old persons car" the fact it is, means there are some good second hand buys out there. Not much rust on them either.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - P3t3r
Fiat Cinquecento especially the Sport model in bright yellow Seicento or old model Panda.

I think most Fiats are good value, you could look at a Punto if she doesn't like any of these.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Bagpuss
Coincidentally we have just sold my wife's Ford Ka to someone looking for something cool for their 18 year old daughter.

For the parents it had to be something small, reliable, and cheap to insure and fuel. For the daughter it had to be a Ford Ka in silver, with alloys, air conditioning and PAS. Bingo.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - PoloGirl
A 3dr Polo in black, like I had when I was twenty. ;) (My first car at 18 was a Fiat Uno, but I've blocked that traumatic experience from my mind - two words can still strike pain into my heart... manual choke.)

Preferably a Mk3 or Mk4 Polo - they lost all their charm when they got bigger. Corsas and Clios of similar ages are bean cans in comparison.

Nothing too flash - she will crash it, and she'll be a better driver for having a few scrapes.
two words can still strike pain into my heart... manual choke.)

Why, couldn't you pull it out far enough to hang your handbag on? Hmm?

she will crash it

I do hope not!

and she'll be a better driver for having a few scrapes.

Ah, scrapes OK, crash not. Maybe. Pass+ or a few extra lessons after a couple of months would help too, perhaps!
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Avant
I'm copying over something I've just written on another thread, but I hope it might be helpful here too.

At this price condition matters more than make or model - try to find something that although old has been looked after.

The advantage of the Corsa and Fiesta already suggested is that there are lots of them around to choose a good one from. I think a Fiesta would be more fun to drive than a Corsa, but it depends what Madam's priorities are.

A Ka isn't such a bad idea - a hoot to drive - but you may struggle to find one that is rust-free - and also one whose sparking plugs haven't rusted in so they can't be removed.

Also think about a Polo - they can last a long time. A certain very persuasive young lady on this forum managed to sell a 10-year-old Polo for £1,500 not so long ago: you should be able to get something newer from a less skilled seller.

To add one more - a Saxo or 106 has plenty of street cred, and as French cars depreciate more than most, you might get a newer one.

Edited by Avant on 29/05/2008 at 21:21

"I think most Fiats are good value, you could look at a Punto if she doesn't like any of these."

We've had two - I can't give them a recommendation, frankly. Lots of space in the back seat - which Dads buying cars daughters may wish to avoid, but they rust (underneath) and they blow their head gaskets.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - b308
My eldest (now 20 but then 18) loves her Polo as well, in fact we still have it for use when she's not at uni - one of the girls at work swears by them as well - as PG said, 3 door version, though in our case in white - picked it up for just over 500 quid!

Edited by b308 on 29/05/2008 at 21:32

'Cool' car for 17 year old girl: Experts Recommend - Pebble
Ford Pinto, y'all. They're sporty, cute, small and are simple to maintain--they make a great first car for a teenager, in fact I know two people who did just that. (Not me, though--my first car at age 17 was a gargantuan Plymouth Fury)
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl: Experts Recommend - Bagpuss
Ford Pinto y'all. They're sporty cute small and are simple to maintain--they make a great
first car for a teenager in fact I know two people who did just that.

Isn't the Ford Pinto the one where the fuel tank explodes in a rear end collision?
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Glacier
If she's a goth type how about this.

tinyurl.com/3gf7cf

Low miles for year and not been thrashed.
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - gsb
If you want to stretch the budget a bit, well quite a lot, this Polo might be considered cool tinyurl.com/55arlx
Crikey. What a frightful heap!
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - smokie
Both of mine went through the family Fiesta for their early days after passing their tests.

The older one then went for a Seat Ibiza 1.4, as she didn't want the same as everyone else has got (Corsas etc). My feeling is that it has been a pretty reliable and cheap-to-run car.

The other got a Fiesta Zetec 1.25 which, to my wallet (she's at Uni), seems to have not been a good buy. it was supposedly low mileage, but has had some major component failures which have made me have my doubts. And it seems to need a long session with the mechanic every time she comes home. (New rear shocks today...!)

Of the two, on reputation I'd always go for the Fiesta, but based on this experience alone I would recommend an Ibiza. (btw, it is even called an Ibiza Cool...)

Edited by smokie on 30/05/2008 at 13:28

'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - Statistical outlier
Wow, that's really quite hideous!
'Cool' car for 17 year old girl - motorprop
' Classic ' Mini , preferably a Cooper.