What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Jammed Glove Compartment - adarin1407
I have a Ford Mondeo TDDi 2.0L 2001 and I've done a very silly thing. When leaning across to fetch something from the glove compartment, the plastic handle/doorcatch (flimsy piecece of kit) snapped off in my hand leaving the compartment jammed shut! As I keep my TomTom satnav in there when not in use I'm at my wits end as to how to get it out without having to take a two pound hammer to the door.......Any ideas?
Jammed Glove Compartment - kithmo
You can prise it open, the latch is very flimsy and bends easily, then bend the latch back afterwards. If you are just going to replace the handle (very expensive IIRC) then use a wide flat pry bar, I used a strong kitchen knife, to prevent damaging the door. If you do damage the door, they often come up on Ebay, complete with catch, prices vary from £10 up to £40, sometimes cheaper than a new catch from Ford dealers.
Jammed Glove Compartment - Pugugly
I broke one of these on a hired Focus - absolutely crap design, the hire company took it on the chin though.
Jammed Glove Compartment - cockle {P}
Don't despair!
Been there, done it.

You need a thinnish bladed screwdriver, IIRC I used an electrical one. Insert into the hole left by the missing handle from below and after a bit of fiddling you should be able to operate the latch. Once you've got it open the assembly can be easily replaced by undoing the visible screws to expose the latch mechanism, if you can call it a mechanism! Relacement is available from any Ford dealer at £10-£15 ish IIRC. Removal and refitting is a 15 minute job, it might take a little longer to get the govebox open but it's not too difficult.

Good luck.
Jammed Glove Compartment - kithmo
I think you'll find the Ford dealer charges well over £20 for the latch.
Jammed Glove Compartment - cockle {P}
I managed to get just the handle from my dealer and don't remember it being that eye-watering, mind you that was just over a year ago and I am ageing..........