andrew moorey & mondeo pinking - footsfitter
have searched the old backroom to your thread about mondeo pinking as I am stuck with the following- 95 1.8 zetec mondeo, pinks really bad during hot weather, but only after the 1st intial start up & run, the next run(s) after engine is up to temp allways produces terrible pinking unless you use minimal throttle opening. during cooler weather & at night no pinking.
have replaced the engine coolant sensor, checked the grey "fusible diode" (ford parts description!)near the bulkhead- it seems to be a fuse as several others checked all turn out to have continuity both ways?.
A frend in an ex ford franchise has put it on the fds diagnostics kit which shows no fault & the air temprature sensor shows readings on the multimeter similar to the book but its difficult to be realistic with a hot air gun!
next step seems to be to change the air sensor, or do you think that the module is ok in the 1st cold start cycle & then freaks out when engine up to temp??
andrew moorey & mondeo pinking - Chas{P}
I have just looked on my system and there is a Ford TSB relating to this from 1997.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.47/1997
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 31.03.1997
Section: 29
Model: Mondeo 1.8 Zetec/Zetec-E
Markets: All
Subject: Engine pinking under load in high ambient temperatures
This bulletin supersedes TSB 47/1997 dated 14.03.1997 and features revisions to the parts descriptions under `Parts Reuqired'.

Parts Required
Powertrain control module:
Manual transmission, without PATS, 93 EEC 1 041 738
Manual transmission, with PATS, 93 EEC 1 041 741
Manual transmission, without PATS, 96 EEC 1 041 740
Manual transmission, with PATS, 96 EEC 1 041 744
Automatic transmission, without PATS, built prior to 08/95 (build code ST)1 041 739
Automatic transmission, without PATS, built after 08/95 (build code ST)1 041 745
Automatic transmission, with PATS, built prior to 08/95 (build code ST)1 041 742
Automatic transmission, with PATS, built after 08/95 (build code ST)1 041 746

Service Instructions
It is possible for engine pinking/detonation to occur whilst driving under load (eg driving up hills) with high ambient temperatures due to the spark timing strategy programmed into the powertrain control module. To overcome this concern, a new powertrain control module (see Parts Required) with a revised calibration.

ENDS

Not good news cost wise but I hope this helps.

Charles
charles & andrew,

sorry to drag it up again but the mondeo is still as we last spoke in july & I think the TSB is a red herring, just come down M3 from richmond to J6 @ steady 80 & when toe put down to maintain speed on hills, engine pinks quite bad- sorry, but at 7-8degC air temp then maybe its not the module at high ambient temp!

regards footsfitter>> I have just looked on my system and there is a
Ford TSB relating to this from 1997.
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.47/1997
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 31.03.1997
Section: 29
Model: Mondeo 1.8 Zetec/Zetec-E
Markets: All
Subject: Engine pinking under load in high ambient temperatures
This bulletin supersedes TSB 47/1997 dated 14.03.1997 and features revisions to
the parts descriptions under `Parts Reuqired'.
Parts Required
Powertrain control module:
Manual transmission, without PATS, 93 EEC 1 041 738
Manual transmission, with PATS, 93 EEC 1 041 741
Manual transmission, without PATS, 96 EEC 1 041 740
Manual transmission, with PATS, 96 EEC 1 041 744
Automatic transmission, without PATS, built prior to 08/95 (build code ST)1
041 739
Automatic transmission, without PATS, built after 08/95 (build code ST)1 041
Automatic transmission, with PATS, built prior to 08/95 (build code ST)1
041 742
Automatic transmission, with PATS, built after 08/95 (build code ST)1 041
Service Instructions
It is possible for engine pinking/detonation to occur whilst driving under
load (eg driving up hills) with high ambient temperatures due to
the spark timing strategy programmed into the powertrain control module. To
overcome this concern, a new powertrain control module (see Parts Required)
with a revised calibration.
ENDS
Not good news cost wise but I hope this helps.
Charles
andrew moorey & mondeo pinking - Markymarkn
I sometimes have the same problem with my '89 Astra 1.8 cd. Intermittent Pinking (or at least what I think is pinking) when it is hot and under load.

Any Ideas chaps?

Mark.
andrew moorey & mondeo pinking - steve paterson
Going back to pre - management system days, if hot weather pinking couldn't be sorted out by fiddling with the ignition timing and carb settings (that's all the computer does), it meant a decoke and maybe a cracked head. I bet the same still stands today.
andrew moorey & mondeo pinking - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Hello! Sorry, been away for a couple of days. I would concur with Charles' info regarding changing the ECU. Try contacting ATP electronics for cost of reprogramming. Have you tried Shell Optimax??
thanks for the help but not sure if it fits into the pinking in v/hot weather, seems to start even at 15-16oC, might try swopping a known air temp sensor when the right vehicle comes in, plus the optimax idea.

if all else fails would be grateful foe ATP's no.

regards

footsfitter
andrew moorey & mondeo pinking - Keith S
Mine does it when the engine is hot after a long run say 30 miles plus.

Optimax seems to stop the pinking put does little for economy and therefore expensive. Saying that it will probably be cheaper than a hole though the top of a piston!

I have looked on the mondeo.org forum and this fault has been reported by lots of owners along with rough running and power loss when the aircon is on.
andrew moorey & mondeo pinking - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Hi Footsfitter,

Have two numbers for ATP, 01543 879788 and 01543 467466.

HTH, Adam Going