What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 2.4 Honda tappet adjustment - Dude - {P}
I am considering buying a 2.4 petrol Accord, but have heard that certain Honda engines require their tappets adjusted periodically.

Does this only apply only to the high performance engines (S 2000) or would the Accord 2 litre & 2.4 petrol engines also require this adjustment.

If this is the case, could someone please advise what mileage intervals this adjustment would be required and the approximate cost by a main dealer.

Thanks for any help.
06 2.4 Honda tappet adjustment - grease monkey
hi dude,the accords you mention will need there valve clearences checking every 25k,if its a 2ltr it will need spark plugs at 25k also,if its the 2.4 it will only need plugs at 75k as these are iridium plugs,costs vary up & down the country,but at the dealership where i work a 25k service on the 2ltr accord is around £280-300 mark.great choice of car by the way,great japenese build quality & reliability
06 2.4 Honda tappet adjustment - Bill Payer
We have a Jazz but I think the same rules apply - valve clearances and plugs are at 25K regardless of age, so it you do low mileage these can be excluded from the typical 2 year service.

My dealer told me that on Jazz they never need adjusting, but still insisted they must check them. I've seen ot suggested that if they're not noisy then they can be left. I have an engineering background and, while I can't say 100%, the rocker cover and its bolts where unmarked after our Jazz's service such that I'm extremely doubtful it had been removed.

That service price is pretty good vs Jazz - typicallt £360 for the 25K service, and that's not including brake fluid change.
06 2.4 Honda tappet adjustment - Dude - {P}
Thank you for your replies, I must say that I didn`t expect this tappet adjustment being required on the less highly tuned engines.

I guess however that this is far cheaper than the mega expense of replacing turbos, injectors & fuel injection pumps that are needed on the majority of modern C.R. diesels.

Hence my reason to switch back to petrol after running my first and last diesel for six years.
06 2.4 Honda tappet adjustment - Big John

If anything having manual tappet adjustment would attract me to a car. Aged hydraulic tappets can be big trouble!

Oops - I've brought alive an old thread as I was searching re another thread complaining of a 2.0 Honda sounding like a diesel and rememberered seeing this before. Didn't remember it was sooo long ago.

Edited by Big John on 22/04/2011 at 23:44